Endotoxin (LPS) causes Alzheimer Disease (AD)

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have made posts on this topic in the past, but it seems this most recent study directly states that endotoxin/LPS is a major cause of AD. All other studies have been either animal models or did not directly implicate LPS. The study below claims to be the first that integrates all available knowledge and demonstrates how a lack of fiber impairs intestinal motility, which in turn increases LPS production by the bacteria feeding on undigested food, and how over time this overproduction of LPS compromises the gut barrier and gets into the bloodstream and eventually into the brain where it acts as a potent AD-causing neurotoxin. The solution the scientists propose is quite simple - i.e. increase fiber intake. Unfortunately,t he scientists suggest increasing soluble fiber (from chia seeds) which has the effect of actually increasing LPS production. Insoluble fiber is what we need to consume instead, as it both binds already present LPS and also has antibacterial effect against the microbiome. The latter effect helps reduce production of LPS, even when poorly digestible foods are consumed. This is another great finding of the study - i.e. our own gut flora can be very dangerous despite the myriads of commercials and medical advice advocating we feed/promote that flora.

Downregulation of Neurofilament Light Chain Expression in Human Neuronal-Glial Cell Co-Cultures by a Microbiome-Derived Lipopolysaccharide-Induced miRNA-30b-5p
Poor gut health may increase risk of Alzheimer's, according to LSU researchers

"...To find out what’s happening in the brain with Alzheimer’s, LSU researchers are looking to the gut. A team of scientists at LSU Health New Orleans have discovered how a potent neurotoxin produced by gut bacteria makes its way to the brain, according to a study published this summer in Frontiers in Neurology. The neurotoxin is a molecule called lipopolysaccharide, or LPS for short. A lot of previous research has pointed to its presence in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s, though it has been unclear how it gets there. But once it arrives, it does a lot of damage. “It is maybe the most inflammatory neurotoxin known,” said Walter Lukiw, one of the study authors and a professor of neuroscience, neurology and opthamology at the LSU Health School of Medicine. "It’s not supposed to be there. Lukiw and a team of researchers conducted an analysis of what is known about LPS and carried out research using human brain cells and animals. “We added all the pieces together,” said Lukiw. “We made the connection that the LPS is making a messenger molecule that goes from the gut through the bloodstream to the brain and then it does bad things to brain cells." The neurotoxin causes the brain cells to shrink, and they lose their ability to signal between other neurons. The finding has the potential to lead to new treatments for Alzheimer's and other neurodegenerative diseases. The good news is that there’s already a way to limit the neurotoxin: adding more fiber to your diet. “The toxins are coming from within us, and they are very much regulated by diet,” said Lukiw. Increasing fiber can keep the gut bacteria in check and prevent the formation of LPS. Gut bacteria are a good thing, but only if kept in balance."

J.R.K

I have made posts on this topic in the past, but it seems this most recent study directly states that endotoxin/LPS is a major cause of AD. All other studies have been either animal models or did not directly implicate LPS. The study below claims to be the first that integrates all available knowledge and demonstrates how a lack of fiber impairs intestinal motility, which in turn increases LPS production by the bacteria feeding on undigested food, and how over time this overproduction of LPS compromises the gut barrier and gets into the bloodstream and eventually into the brain where it acts as a potent AD-causing neurotoxin. The solution the scientists propose is quite simple - i.e. increase fiber intake. Unfortunately,t he scientists suggest increasing soluble fiber (from chia seeds) which has the effect of actually increasing LPS production. Insoluble fiber is what we need to consume instead, as it both binds already present LPS and also has antibacterial effect against the microbiome. The latter effect helps reduce production of LPS, even when poorly digestible foods are consumed. This is another great finding of the study - i.e. our own gut flora can be very dangerous despite the myriads of commercials and medical advice advocating we feed/promote that flora.

Downregulation of Neurofilament Light Chain Expression in Human Neuronal-Glial Cell Co-Cultures by a Microbiome-Derived Lipopolysaccharide-Induced miRNA-30b-5p

"...To find out what’s happening in the brain with Alzheimer’s, LSU researchers are looking to the gut. A team of scientists at LSU Health New Orleans have discovered how a potent neurotoxin produced by gut bacteria makes its way to the brain, according to a study published this summer in Frontiers in Neurology. The neurotoxin is a molecule called lipopolysaccharide, or LPS for short. A lot of previous research has pointed to its presence in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s, though it has been unclear how it gets there. But once it arrives, it does a lot of damage. “It is maybe the most inflammatory neurotoxin known,” said Walter Lukiw, one of the study authors and a professor of neuroscience, neurology and opthamology at the LSU Health School of Medicine. "It’s not supposed to be there. Lukiw and a team of researchers conducted an analysis of what is known about LPS and carried out research using human brain cells and animals. “We added all the pieces together,” said Lukiw. “We made the connection that the LPS is making a messenger molecule that goes from the gut through the bloodstream to the brain and then it does bad things to brain cells." The neurotoxin causes the brain cells to shrink, and they lose their ability to signal between other neurons. The finding has the potential to lead to new treatments for Alzheimer's and other neurodegenerative diseases. The good news is that there’s already a way to limit the neurotoxin: adding more fiber to your diet. “The toxins are coming from within us, and they are very much regulated by diet,” said Lukiw. Increasing fiber can keep the gut bacteria in check and prevent the formation of LPS. Gut bacteria are a good thing, but only if kept in balance."
Incredible, I never thought of my daily mushrooms or carrot salad could help keep my brain intact as I age.
Interestingly I was just thinking about another post of yours @haidut.
There was a discussion on a lawsuit against the. Canadian governments travel mandates, and they had mentioned that today’s airlines employ the best air filtration systems in the world. This was to imply that they would stop viruses and bacteria and my mind went to the HEPA filtration system, then to your finding that these filtration systems actually are fine enough to capture bacterium but also to rupture the cell walls and send the endotoxins airborne.
I am wondering if this is a contributing factor for some people getting sick during travel, barring of course the stresses travelling itself imparts.

oxphoser

A cup of grated carrot contains 3.6 grams of fiber. But they say you need 28 grams a day!

Kray

oxphoser- good point. I'd like to know how much per day, what foods?

J.R.K.- your comment made me wonder about the masks we were forced to wear for 2+ years and counting. Some really have adopted it as their new normal.

Vinero

One problem with classifying foods having insoluble fiber is that resistant starch is counted as an insoluble fiber. For example, lentils and peas are listed as very high in insoluble fiber. But a large portion of that is resistant starch, which has the same effects as soluble fiber. Resistant starch and soluble fiber both feed the gut bacteria, leading to serotonin and endotoxin production. Beans and most whole grains are very high in both resistant starch and soluble fiber and my health deteriorates rapidly when I consume these foods.
Whole wheat bread on the other hand has a high ratio of insoluble/soluble fiber. I currently consume a couple of slices every day and it gives me perfect bowel movements. I don't get any gas from the whole wheat bread. All other grains and beans give me gas, which is a bad sign in my experience. This means the bacteria are being fed. The high insoluble fiber content of whole wheat bread can be very beneficial in the short-term if you are suffering from constipation or high endotoxin load. Ofcourse, whole wheat does have some undesirable components such as high phosphate and some PUFA. But those factors can be opposed by consuming milk at the same time (calcium).

Dr. B

didnt Ray said we dont need fiber? theres a quote where he said hes had a fiber free diet for many years?
are there certain dietary protocols that need to be followed on a fiber free diet? like should there be total avoidance of starchy foods if we arent eating fiber?
can fiber be replaced with SFA/MUFA fats since they have antibacterial effects of their own? so as long as you have fiber or SFA/MUFA its fine?