EVERYTHING We Learned About Butter And Beef Fat Is Not True Anymore

Dobbler

I still trust the labels and company websites for nutritional information.. If label says beef is 7.9g SAFA / 12g total fat, the remaining 4g can't possibly be all PUFA. And i believe they can't put false information for food labels.

OP
methylenewhite
If the fat desaturate I think it will be visible, so no worries
Pork fat has lots of PUFA. Raw chicken fat is solid too

They've been studying this for a while now, but I've never seen it utilized in a commercial feed. I didn't think it would ever really take off because I assumed it would make the product taste different and people would object (like adding fish oil to dairy products, or omega-3 eggs) and also that it would affect the health of the animal in a negative way. However, detecting omega-3 is one thing as it's quite obviously fishy, but omega-6 might be more difficult so maybe the consumer wouldn't object. Flax should be easy enough though.

If this becomes common in Canada I will be quite upset about it. I will 100% buy a cow. Do they have to ruin everything?! Can't people just eat pork if they want PUFA, and drink pig milk...? :shock:

I believe they sell a lot of this type of feed. There are other brands around.

Bogdar

Pork fat has lots of PUFA. Raw chicken fat is solid too

I believe they sell a lot of this type of feed. There are other brands around.
It's not black or white. The more saturated the more thick and solid it is on the spectrum. It is obvious to differentiate a fully saturated oil from a fully unsaturated one, but it is also possible to differentiate pufa pig fat from saturated beef fat. I also remember on an article someone talking about how pig fat from 20/21st century changed in color, texture, and taste because of its change in feeding (and thus composition). I believe it will happen the same for beef fat

InChristAlone

Pigs fed a healthy diet have more solid fat. Factory pig fat is less hard in the fridge indicating more PUFA.

Steve

No worries! The way things are going we'll all return to being hunter-gatherers soon, so at our diets will improve with the wild game.
I'm actually headed to the forest today...........gotta get away from all this craziness. If I find any dead wild game I'll send you guys some.

schultz

Oh I should mention, when I researched this before, from what I remember, they were not able to get the PUFA that much higher with bypass fats. I think probably 8% max in milk. I'll double check though. Might be higher in beef, but I doubt it would get past 12%.

One reason they use bypass fat, aside from trying to sneak some extra "beneficial" PUFAs into the meat and milk, is that a lot of PUFA in the cows diet is harmful to the bacteria in the cows stomach, so it causes a lot of problems if they give them too much PUFA. Making it so that the PUFA bypasses the rumen prevents this, allowing them to add more fat to the cows diet without the harmful effects on the bacteria.

OP
methylenewhite
Global Rumen Bypass Fat Market Insights, Forecast to 2025 - Radiant Insights

In global market, the sales of rumen bypass fat increases from 655.59 K MT in 2013 to 745.33 K MT in 2017. In 2018, global rumen bypass fat sales have exceeded 770.46 K MT. Southeast Asia is the world's largest feed market. In 2017, the global rumen bypass fat market is led by Southeast Asia At present, the major leader manufacturers of rumen bypass fat are concentrated in Malaysia. Volac Wilmar is the world leader, holding 33.79% sales market share in 2017.
Europe was the largest consumption regional market for rumen bypass fat, with 45.60% of global sales. It is further expected still to grow due to downstream demand. In the past time, the global rumen bypass fat market has maintained a more stable growth rate.

YourUniverse

This coupled with the alleged gum inclusion to regular milk makes dairy somewhat risky without investigation...

Coconut oil to the rescue? Low-fat cuts of beef, more fructose and baking soda to lower phosphate, more vitamin D to lower PTH?

nad

:mytwocentsJust from my experience ,when I 'm making cutlets or hamburger: while mixing ground beef with spices etc. and making this flat balls my hands covered w/ thick sticky fat that can be wash off only w/hot water to melt it.

Never w/pork ground, it's fat melted from hand warm?

OP
methylenewhite
Just from my experience ,when I 'm making cutlets or hamburger: while mixing ground beef with spices etc. and making this flat balls my hands covered w/ thick sticky fat that can be wash off only w/hot water to melt it.

This is true, this kind of fat is hard to wash off.

yerrag

Oh I should mention, when I researched this before, from what I remember, they were not able to get the PUFA that much higher with bypass fats. I think probably 8% max in milk. I'll double check though. Might be higher in beef, but I doubt it would get past 12%.

One reason they use bypass fat, aside from trying to sneak some extra "beneficial" PUFAs into the meat and milk, is that a lot of PUFA in the cows diet is harmful to the bacteria in the cows stomach, so it causes a lot of problems if they give them too much PUFA. Making it so that the PUFA bypasses the rumen prevents this, allowing them to add more fat to the cows diet without the harmful effects on the bacteria.
This is interesting.

But what else is there but PUFAs that cows eat when it comes to the fat when they eat fodder?

yerrag

Global Rumen Bypass Fat Market Insights, Forecast to 2025 - Radiant Insights

In global market, the sales of rumen bypass fat increases from 655.59 K MT in 2013 to 745.33 K MT in 2017. In 2018, global rumen bypass fat sales have exceeded 770.46 K MT. Southeast Asia is the world's largest feed market. In 2017, the global rumen bypass fat market is led by Southeast Asia At present, the major leader manufacturers of rumen bypass fat are concentrated in Malaysia. Volac Wilmar is the world leader, holding 33.79% sales market share in 2017.
Europe was the largest consumption regional market for rumen bypass fat, with 45.60% of global sales. It is further expected still to grow due to downstream demand. In the past time, the global rumen bypass fat market has maintained a more stable growth rate.
This is widespread. Southeast Asia the largest market. And not Brazil, nor Argentina, nor Australia, nor the US- the major producers and exporters of beef?

Must be because there's little grass to feed them on in Southeast Asia! Well, except for Cambodia.

schultz

This is interesting.

But what else is there but PUFAs that cows eat when it comes to the fat when they eat fodder?

I think the fat content of most forage tends to be pretty low. Grains tend to be pretty low as well. Things like soybeans, nuts and stuff like that are the problem and they like to give them things like roasted soybeans.

yerrag

I think the fat content of most forage tends to be pretty low. Grains tend to be pretty low as well. Things like soybeans, nuts and stuff like that are the problem and they like to give them things like roasted soybeans.
I agree. And that's why there's a market for the bypass oil in Southeast Asia, where there's not an abundance of grasslands.

Perhaps why my local steak can't compare to those from where there are pampas.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I urge anyone in the US who eats meat regularly to check for a local quality source and form a relationship with the people who raise the animals. Letting them know how much and how often you plan to order and that they can depend on you for regular business goes a long way. It’s way better quality and worth the effort in my experience. I connected with a small family farm several years ago through a farmers market but another way to find local connections is the website eat wild dot com. I feel my best when I exclusively eat their meat compared to supermarket and restaurant meat. It’s really not that much more expensive either.

OP
methylenewhite
Yep it's probably a faulty solution for Fat In - Fat out "problem" of greedy milk producers

yerrag

I urge anyone in the US who eats meat regularly to check for a local quality source and form a relationship with the people who raise the animals. Letting them know how much and how often you plan to order and that they can depend on you for regular business goes a long way. It’s way better quality and worth the effort in my experience. I connected with a small family farm several years ago through a farmers market but another way to find local connections is the website eat wild dot com. I feel my best when I exclusively eat their meat compared to supermarket and restaurant meat. It’s really not that much more expensive either.
Definitely.

While I don't have access to a farm butcher in the city, I still like to buy from a butcher with fresh slaughter, unfrozen, than from the supermarket, where it's frozen, and I wouldn't know if it's from halfway across the globe or not. I also smell the meat, and sometimes I can smell "made in China" from the pork. It makes a big difference when some of the locally grown pigs and poultry (not factory farms though) eats coconut meat, the end-products of making virgin coconut oil. The china chicken, I feel, tastes fish from being fed feed made from fish.

Most importantly, it's different buying from a butcher you know than from the supermarket.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Definitely.

While I don't have access to a farm butcher in the city, I still like to buy from a butcher with fresh slaughter, unfrozen, than from the supermarket, where it's frozen, and I wouldn't know if it's from halfway across the globe or not. I also smell the meat, and sometimes I can smell "made in China" from the pork. It makes a big difference when some of the locally grown pigs and poultry (not factory farms though) eats coconut meat, the end-products of making virgin coconut oil. The china chicken, I feel, tastes fish from being fed feed made from fish.

Most importantly, it's different buying from a butcher you know than from the supermarket.
Yes! I can pick up on the taste of what the animal ate as well. I love knowing where my food comes from and not having to worry about some shady practices.

yerrag

Yes! I can pick up on the taste of what the animal ate as well. I love knowing where my food comes from and not having to worry about some shady practices.
:thumbsup:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals