EVERYTHING We Learned About Butter And Beef Fat Is Not True Anymore

Spud

To answer my last post. Iodine will saturate double bonds in fats and lose it’s brownish colour. Melt some butter and add iodine until it no longer loses its colour. One iodine molecule for every double bond. Since different pufas have multiple double bonds it won’t give you the exact % composition but will give you an idea of how unsaturated the fat it.

yerrag

To answer my last post. Iodine will saturate double bonds in fats and lose it’s brownish colour. Melt some butter and add iodine until it no longer loses its colour. One iodine molecule for every double bond. Since different pufas have multiple double bonds it won’t give you the exact % composition but will give you an idea of how unsaturated the fat it.
That's a nice test. What kind of iodine solution do you use?

yerrag

It doesn't say what iodine is used.

yerrag

Needs to be diatomic iodine, so lugols should do the trick.
Great! I got that.

I'll render beef tallow and test it. I'll then know how bad tallow is in Manila.

yerrag

Nice thread, especially for Ray Peat fans in Southeast Asia, and countries that don't have vast grasslands and yet raise cattle for food. Thanks @methylenewhite!

OP
methylenewhite
Nice thread, especially for Ray Peat fans in Southeast Asia, and countries that don't have vast grasslands and yet raise cattle for food. Thanks @methylenewhite!

As I told you in the chat, I wish I have never found it. I have some beef and butter stocked for this covid19 period, cant eat it now without paranoid thinking. They use this feed quite extensive here.

KTownSatfats

So buying 100% grass fed beef would solve this, right? I order mine (100%) online or get it at a Farmers market from someone I trust. Any way you slice it, grain and/or soybean fed is going to be very bad anyway, right?

yerrag

As I told you in the chat, I wish I have never found it. I have some beef and butter stocked for this covid19 period, cant eat it now without paranoid thinking. They use this feed quite extensive here.

Can you do an iodine test on the rendered beef tallow? I'm going to do a test as soon as I can get some beef fat to render to tallow. I was hoping to get some today, but the wet market required me to have a quarantine pass. Tried to get one from my barangay (like a barrio in the Phils.) and couldn't get one since my bgy feels residents can just buy from nearby supermarkets. Covid19 is really making me have to adapt to new shopping routines.

RealNeat

This is a really important and underrated thread. Considering how big a part dairy is of most people's diets, attention to this needs to be prioritized.

yerrag

This is a really important and underrated thread. Considering how big a part dairy is of most people's diets, attention to this needs to be prioritized.
OMG! Have to test dairy, but I have no controls to measure against - like real grass-fed cow's milk.

yerrag

hei

If the composition of milk fats is altered wouldn’t they need to report it on the nutrition label?
I suppose some manufacturers might just use some industry average but I notice that different brands report different amounts (and the amounts sometimes change for the same products) and generally it seems like milk processors must be doing regular nutrient analyses just to run their business, given that much of their product is standardised, separated into components, or sold to bulk customers and they would need such information for quality control.

yerrag

I'd have no problem with that at all, but he just doesn't respond to me any more. :(
He didn't respond to me last time also, but I'll still ask if I were you. We'll bug him together. Maybe he'll answer?

Gone Peating

He didn't respond to me last time also, but I'll still ask if I were you. We'll bug him together. Maybe he'll answer?

Danny Roddy interviews him a lot. Maybe reach out to him to get Peat’s take on it next interview

J

jb116

:hilarious:
Thing is, for me it would be my 4th time since he hasn't answered. I just felt like I'm being pushy and intrusive at the 3rd time let alone 4th.
The oddest part about it is he used to talk with me all the time. I would send him stuff too that he'd use for his research or for his newsletters.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals