Estrogen Dominance worse before it’s better? My Progest-e experience so far

antiqua

Hey guys, maybe some of you saw my recent thread wherein I complained (lol) about my pcos/estrogen dominance that was triggered by a traumatic year of emotional upheaval, Keto, and quitting birth control.

Well, since then I discovered that I probably successfully ovulated for the first time shortly before posting (probably on the 20th). I also started progest-e on Monday night, the 23rd. Needless to say, this is the first time I have had any real progesterone in my system for years, if not ever. I have confirmed ovulation by a sustained BBT rise. Usually my waking temp is in the mid 97's, and since the 21st it's hovered just above 98.2. This is amazing news and a huge answered prayer for me.

HOWEVER. All my symptoms have actually gotten worse, and a new one has even popped up. I am not surprised at this, since i know that progesterone liberates estrogen from the tissues, which is then free to float around the body and cause all kinds of issues. These past few days, my developments are as follows:

- Super dry scaly skin on my body (new)
- Worsened cystic acne
- Worsened puffiness, especially the puffy feeling in my face
- Seemingly worsened sebderm & hair loss
- Return of mild eczema on right hand & right knee (most of my symptoms including acne are curiously clustered on my right side)
- Seemingly worsened hirsutism

I've been taking quite a high dose of the prog, a drop the size of a large pea 4-5 times daily, rubbed into gums. I don't get much of a reaction, and it doesn't make me feel super tired or relaxed like some people get. But I know it's doing something in my system because of these new developments in my condition. An environmental factor of note is that these past 3 weeks, I was doing a program to get my phlebotomist certification, meaning I've had my blood taken like 100 times in a short span. The total blood loss over this time probably didn't exceed a pint, but the slight physical trauma of being poked that many times could have raised my cortisol and affected my hormones.

I will certainly continue with the high prog dosing until my period starts, and I will stop again until after my next ovulation. For me, establishing a regular cycle is paramount (I'm 22) so continuous dosing isn't an option, for right now anyway.

Expect updates soon!

Peachy

Congrats on ovulating! 🙌🏼

I’m sorry to hear it’s a rocky start with the progest-e and looking forward to updates.

You may find this interesting (and possibly confusing). Peat says the estrogen that’s pulled from the tissues by progesterone can’t cause issues because it leaves in the detoxified form (time stamp 1:35:55) So, it’s something else - possibly just the hormonal transition?

When I started progest-e, I had some increase in acne, breast tenderness and an earlier period. But a much lighter and overall better period week. I felt more relaxed, warmer and in a better mood. It’s interesting to me how there were significant improvements but also some new symptoms in the beginning. Maybe the “stress” was just shifting.

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Rdoeb2iIz4mIxcN32qmNb?si=BY7vMZyfSzu_M15Qtxn8Dg

OP
antiqua

antiqua

Congrats on ovulating! 🙌🏼

I’m sorry to hear it’s a rocky start with the progest-e and looking forward to updates.

You may find this interesting (and possibly confusing). Peat says the estrogen that’s pulled from the tissues by progesterone can’t cause issues because it leaves in the detoxified form (time stamp 1:35:55) So, it’s something else - possibly just the hormonal transition?

When I started progest-e, I had some increase in acne, breast tenderness and an earlier period. But a much lighter and overall better period week. I felt more relaxed, warmer and in a better mood. It’s interesting to me how there were significant improvements but also some new symptoms in the beginning. Maybe the “stress” was just shifting.

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Rdoeb2iIz4mIxcN32qmNb?si=BY7vMZyfSzu_M15Qtxn8Dg

Peachy! I took your recommendation about the smoked oysters and they're sooo good.

And thanks for the Peat quote there - I've heard him say that before, it is curious since so many women report worse estrogen symptoms on the outset of progest-e. I'm sure things will get better from here!

Peachy

Peachy! I took your recommendation about the smoked oysters and they're sooo good.

And thanks for the Peat quote there - I've heard him say that before, it is curious since so many women report worse estrogen symptoms on the outset of progest-e. I'm sure things will get better from here!
Yay! I’m glad you’re in the minority that likes them. 😅

I find it curious too. Maybe someone will chime in with their insights.

LadyRae

I hear you! When I first started supplementing with progest -E, I had similar annoying symptoms pop up right away. The biggest of which was edema especially in my legs. Then I tried Progestene a liquid progesterone supplement from ideal labs, and that did the same thing. I have tried many different kinds of dosages.

So I quit taking it. I have found that I do better just sticking with vitex, which makes me more sensitive to my own progesterone. I then focus on reducing cortisol and estrogen in other ways like carrot salad, boiled mushrooms, sleep, Diamant, more carbs/lower fats...etc.

For a while I was watching the Facebook group that healthy gut girl runs, and it is absolutely full of women complaining about horrible side effects of progesterone supplementation. The most common advice is: you should take more! I don't buy it...

Momma

LadyRae

Great thread, especially about how too much adrenaline can block proper progesterone.

Jennifer

I reacted negatively to Progest-E the first time I started taking it. I experienced overarousal and bled for 10+ days every 2 weeks, and another member who I was friends with on the forum also experienced the latter. She and I were coming from a history of amenorrhea and no birth control use. I tried taking it again last October and November—roughly 7 years later—and I experienced the same overarousal and my cycle, which was finally regular—was becoming shorter again. I find the most effective things are diet and thyroid supplementation. On the rare occasions my cycle gets wonky, it usually means my thyroid dose needs adjusting.

ursidae

most of my symptoms including acne are curiously clustered on my right side
Same for me. It's been more than 2 years since my last ovary scan, the cysts back then were on the right ovary. Haven't had another scan, haven't skipped a period since

Last edited:

Peachy

In Chinese medicine, they correlate right cheek acne with respiratory health and left with liver. When I was dealing with it, it was on my left side which added up since dandelion tea worked wonders. Same for my son who I’m working with now.

Regardless, I’d address both.

For respiratory, I’d include dental health (possibly using a glycerin-free natural mouthwash and/or oil pulling). I’d also look into bag breathing and safe herbs for lung health - offhand: ginger, oregano, nettles

Normal Human

This article may speak to what you're going through.

Advocate2021

Since ive been guzzling the stuff for 25 years and do not agree that it has negative effects on health, must chime in here. Yes, when a woman has been hormonally assuaulted due to Big pharma poisoning, severe hypothyroidism, food poisons, imbalance created by the stress of child birth or multiple child births, etc., of course introducing something as powerful as progest-e is going to have profound results and they may not be immediately ecstatic. And every person is unique and must do what works for them. i am merely offering my experience and perspective here- take it or leave it of course. i am not being condescending or insinuating anything about anyone else on this thread. that is not my intention.

So this is my perspective and opinion: Its a biological substance not a magic potion. after 12 years of estrogen poisoning in my teens and twenties, when i went off cold turkey and took generous doses of progest-e, do you think all was instantly a fairy tale? of course not. my body went through a 6 month exorcism that could have been a movie script. my entire chin sprouted lovely eruptions from side jaw to side jaw, i became bipolar and was put on meds for that, my brain felt like a truck had hit it, it was like lightening was striking me 24- 7 for many months.; but some innate wisdom within my cells and soul and my complete respect for and trust in Dr. Peat knew that i was on a path of recovery and these were all my body's attempts to rebalance after years and years of assault to it.

the symptoms were actually blessings as if I had felt nothing i would have no evidence that something was actually happening. Well, 6 months later I ovulated naturally and shed my lining like a real person for the first time, a year later I gave birth to my amazing precious son who was supposed to be here and my hormones are impeccable per testing, sexual function, vaginal health and tone, fertility all in excellent form etc. 25 years later and at 52 no less. And ive been taking this stuff quite generously.

Personally, I think progest-e is bottled fountain of youth that retards aging and keeps women young ,fertile and healthy perhaps lifelong when taken early enough. i see absolutely no draw back to it at all and think it is entirely normal there will be an adaptation period when hormones have been wonky for so long- it is a powerful hormone for god sakes. if you havent ovulated in a long time and the progest-e actually repairs that by stimulating that process, sure there could be lots of ripples with all getting stirred up- its a necessary part of healing. and could meant oo adding thyroid will be helpful.

Pregnancy was one of the healthiest times of my entire life- l literally glowed like the sun. why? the massive amounts of progesterone my body produced. may have actually cured me as my hormonal functioning became far better as I got older and is actually better each year. I attribute much of this to progesterone so at this point im going to see how long I can milk this youth that i missed when i should have had it chronologically. illl let you guys know if Im still fertile at 70 lol and how long I can stretch that. I believe in this stuff like i believe in clean air, water and Divine Order. Ladies, if and only if it suits you and your individual situation, have a little faith and dare to be uncomfortable temporarily to potentially reap the miracle!!!

Last edited:

LadyRae

@Advocate2021

Uh, no. I object to your insinuations that my bad reaction to progest -E means that I'm inherently unhealthy, hypothyroid, "assaulted by big pharma", depleted from multiple pregnancies, etc.... Your attitude feels very condescending.

Not all women need progesterone people!!

Personally I feel great and don't have PMS, acne, insomnia.. I have regular, easy-going cycles..but I felt terrible AFTER progeste E.

So, I deduced that I didn't need it. I think people need to be careful with hormones. If it makes you feel terrible, stop!

Advocate2021

@Advocate2021

Uh, no. I object to your insinuations that my bad reaction to progest -E means that I'm inherently unhealthy, hypothyroid, "assaulted by big pharma", depleted from multiple pregnancies, etc.... Your attitude feels very condescending.

Not all women need progesterone people!!

Personally I feel great and don't have PMS, acne, insomnia.. I have regular, easy-going cycles..but I felt terrible AFTER progeste E.

So, I deduced that I didn't need it. I think people need to be careful with hormones. If it makes you feel terrible, stop!
you misunderstood what i was saying. i am not saying everyone is in the same boat and that you are part of that grouping i spoke of. i did not say that represented all women. ill go back and edit if it isnt clear. listen to your body of course. i was merely sharing my experience and saying others may respond the way i did and that it is not a harmful substance biologically speaking. each individual must decide what is best for them- i was in no way being condescending to you or insinuating anything about your situation. i think you may be projecting but ill look at the post again. you look very healthy so whatever you are doing is obviously working for you and your experience is noted. we all just share our own perspectives here.

Jennifer

@Advocate2021, have you ever experienced shortened cycles during the 25 years you’ve been taking Progest-E? I have absolutely no PMS symptoms—my only warning sign that my period is coming is a change in vaginal fluid a week leading up to it—and the overarousal is kind of annoying, but Progest-E does help with pain management. The shortened cycle concerns me, though.

LadyRae

you misunderstood what i was saying. i am not saying everyone is in the same boat and that you are part of that grouping i spoke of. i did not say that represented all women. ill go back and edit if it isnt clear. listen to your body of course. i was merely sharing my experience and saying others may respond the way i did and that it is not a harmful substance biologically speaking. each individual must decide what is best for them- i was in no way being condescending to you or insinuating anything about your situation. i think you may be projecting but ill look at the post again. you look very healthy so whatever you are doing is obviously working for you and your experience is noted. we all just share our own perspectives here.
Oops, ok, thanks. It got old last year when so many people kept telling me, take more! I quit listening to them and moved on with my life.

But I worry when women think there's something wrong with them when progesterone makes them feel bad. It really isn't good for EVERYONE.

Advocate2021

@Advocate2021, have you ever experienced shortened cycles during the 25 years you’ve been taking Progest-E? I have absolutely no PMS symptoms—my only warning sign that my period is coming is a change in vaginal fluid a week leading up to it—and the overarousal is kind of annoying, but it does help with pain management. The shorten cycle concerns me, though.
i just edited my post a bit as evidently it was being taken in a way that i did not intend. as has been quoted here from Dr. Peat quite a bit, it could modify a cycle but if symptom relief is more important thats the choice. for me the latter was more important but if you do better at present with out it all good of course. And dr. Peat always also said that thyroid was the longterm solution anyway so you are on point with your regimen. im a bit older than you and at this point in my life staying young is more important to me than the length of my cycles so i have decided to continue using it. due to my history, my cycles didnt even start until almost 30 and have always been a bit sporadic at times so i dont really go by that for my self.

Advocate2021

Oops, ok, thanks. It got old last year when so many people kept telling me, take more! I quit listening to them and moved on with my life.

But I worry when women think there's something wrong with them when progesterone makes them feel bad. It really isn't good for EVERYONE.
well you look radiantly healthy and I applaud your wisdom and success. just sharing my passion for progest -e which has been a blessing in my life. i edited the post a bit- thank you for pointing out perhaps some softening that was needed in delivery. Good lesson for me as i dont want my messages for any of my missions to repel my audiences so this is very helpful. have a good night!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals