Progest E Side Effects From Too Much Or Not Enough!

Moomic78

Help! Im 40 yrs old & decided to try Ray Peats progest e due to ongoing classic estrogen dominance symptoms ( heavy bleeding & clotting, pms, acne). I've been doing great following RP nutrition but these pms symptoms just wont improve. So I started progest e for the first time during my last cycle - beginning day 14-28 doing the high dose 3 drops x 5 times per day. I actually felt great and very calm during this time. When my period started I stopped taking it. My period was a little better than usual which was positive. So then at day 7, my period is finishing and I suddenly get really sore breasts & major cystic acne which I usually only get 1 week before my period... not after! I'm now at day 12 and these symptoms are getting worse along with fatigue increased anxiety, irritability, foggy brain, hypoglycemia, headaches, spotting. Another weird thing was yesterday I had a whole day of feeling manic and euphoric only to be crushingly depressed and anxious again today. I've been advised by my health coach that this is estrogen dominance and that I need to saturate my body by increasing my dose to 5 pea sized drops x 5 times per day without stopping during menses. But I'm really struggling with these exacerbated symptoms and not sure if it might be too much progesterone that's causing it? With a history of depression and anxiety I'm very confused how to best manage this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Lotte

I“d recommend to take low dose progesterone / progest E during day 5-12 and then switch to your normal dose until the next period starts. I do quite well with this dosage. When you tahe high dose progesterone within the first half of the cycle, you“ll prevent ovulation, mess up your cycle and end up with a 20 day cycle. In order to cope with high estrogen, sunlight is very helpful for me (or light therapy in winter). Vitamines E,A and K help as well.

morgan#1

Help! Im 40 yrs old & decided to try Ray Peats progest e due to ongoing classic estrogen dominance symptoms ( heavy bleeding & clotting, pms, acne). I've been doing great following RP nutrition but these pms symptoms just wont improve. So I started progest e for the first time during my last cycle - beginning day 14-28 doing the high dose 3 drops x 5 times per day. I actually felt great and very calm during this time. When my period started I stopped taking it. My period was a little better than usual which was positive. So then at day 7, my period is finishing and I suddenly get really sore breasts & major cystic acne which I usually only get 1 week before my period... not after! I'm now at day 12 and these symptoms are getting worse along with fatigue increased anxiety, irritability, foggy brain, hypoglycemia, headaches, spotting. Another weird thing was yesterday I had a whole day of feeling manic and euphoric only to be crushingly depressed and anxious again today. I've been advised by my health coach that this is estrogen dominance and that I need to saturate my body by increasing my dose to 5 pea sized drops x 5 times per day without stopping during menses. But I'm really struggling with these exacerbated symptoms and not sure if it might be too much progesterone that's causing it? With a history of depression and anxiety I'm very confused how to best manage this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Moomic,
Based on what your telling in your description, it is high estrogen. Another possibility, which I choose, is to go by after ovulation and double the amount of progest-e. I don’t think that the amount you were doing is that high. It sounds like your body is trying to release estrogen. You probably didn’t dose high enough for your symptoms.

But, it’s tricky. If you really have no progesterone. Than what I’m saying might not be true. You need some progesterone in your body to fight the dominance of estrogen. Just listen to your body.

Also I’ve heard of people needing more right off and then weaning down. Maybe you do need it round the clock, but I would think you could follow ovulation and see where that gets you. If you do need it all the time remember you can change it, just listen to your body. It’s a long worthwhile haul. I’ve heard of no damage from high progesterone, it depends on what you need. Best of luck, it’s a great thing you’ve found Ray Peat

Last edited:
OP
M

Moomic78

I“d recommend to take low dose progesterone / progest E during day 5-12 and then switch to your normal dose until the next period starts. I do quite well with this dosage. When you tahe high dose progesterone within the first half of the cycle, you“ll prevent ovulation, mess up your cycle and end up with a 20 day cycle. In order to cope with high estrogen, sunlight is very helpful for me (or light therapy in winter). Vitamines E,A and K help as well.
Ok I will look into that dosage, thank you so much

JenLN

Moomic are you still using the progesterone? I started taking it for the same reasons as you but I had a bad experience with P overall. Curious to know if you are still taking it and if it has helped you with your original issues.