CKA

Are endotoxin and LPS interchangeable, or are there different kinds of endotoxins?

I'm coming off the bandwagon of having maximal "healthy" gut micro-biome after reading Dr Peat and talking briefly with Haidut. I was taking major doses of probiotics and feeding them with resistant starch.

I doubt I'll ever think we should strive to be sterile though. I'm thinking it might be best to have just some incidental bacteria in the gut and on the skin for keeping the immune system prepared for the environment but no more.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think this study was long overdue, given how important is endotoxin (LPS) in Ray's writing on health and various disease states. I doubt there is a condition for which he has not recommended keeping endotoxin (LPS) levels low by ingesting daily carrot salad and/or charcoal. Another interesting finding of the study that also matches well with Ray's writings is that endotoxin also contributes to iron overload, which has been implicated in everything from Alzheimers to cancer to "mad cow" disease to ALS. Finally, the study found that endotoxin (LPS) stimulates the activation of abnormal clotting mechanisms, and Ray wrote an entire article on the connection between abnormal clotting and diseases like cancer.
Bleeding, clotting, cancer

It would be very interesting to see what the scientists would recommend as a remedy. Also, both natural and synthetic LPS is currently being used clinically to "treat" (gasp) a number of conditions like IBS-C, immunosupression from chemotherapy, and even used as a vaccine adjuvant to "prime" the immune system and make it fight pathogens better. It would a big financial blow to pharma companies if the bad news about endotoxin keep on coming...

Acute induction of anomalous and amyloidogenic blood clotting by molecular amplification of highly substoichiometric levels of bacterial lipopolysaccharide | Journal of The Royal Society Interface
Bacteria lurking in blood could be culprit in countless diseases

"...Could microbes be to blame for a host of diseases we thought they had nothing to do with? Researchers have found that bacteria in the blood of healthy people may help trigger strokes and heart attacks, and perhaps also contribute to conditions like Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes and arthritis. All of these disorders involve inflammation – a general activation of the immune system that normally serves to fight infection, but that can get out of control and cause damage. These conditions are also all linked to overactive blood clotting, excessive levels of iron in the blood, and sheets of abnormally folded proteins. No one knows why these traits are linked to so many diseases, but finding out could help us stop them. To see if bacteria could be playing a role in all this, Douglas Kell at the University of Manchester, UK, and Resia Pretorius, at the University of Pretoria in South Africa, have been looking at their ability to disrupt clotting.

"...Blood has always been considered free from microbes, because bacteria don’t grow when it is put in a culture dish. But recent DNA sequencing methods reveal that each millilitre of blood in fact contains around 1000 bacterial cells. These bacteria are usually dormant. But they can be revived when iron becomes available in the blood, and begin secreting lipopolysaccharides (LPS) – molecules on their cell walls that are recognised by the immune system and stimulate inflammation."

"...Kell and Pretorius wondered if LPS might also directly affect clotting. Most dormant bacteria in our blood comes from our gut. They mixed LPS from the common gut bacteria Escherichia coli with fibrinogen, a small protein in the blood that normally forms the fibrin scaffolds of clots. The LPS changed the fibrinogen, encouraging it to form abnormal clots that look a lot like those involved in heart attacks, strokes and deep vein thrombosis. “In all inflammatory conditions we have noted a matted, denser fibrin structure, without the typical ‘spaghetti structure’ found in healthy individuals,” says Pretorius. Just one molecule of LPS in a mixture of a hundred million fibrinogen molecules was enough to encourage the formation of these misformed clots. This means LPS must act as a catalyst, says Kell. They think LPS bends fibrinogen out of shape, and this shape-change spreads from protein to protein in a similar way to the deformation associated with prion proteins that cause BSE."

"...Overactive clotting is also a feature of inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and Alzheimer’s. These conditions involve excess levels of iron. The body normally keeps levels of free iron in the blood low to keep bacteria dormant and block their growth. “We think bugs are involved in all these diseases,” says Kell. Their observation that LPS causes fibrin to form mats, and the fact that LPS also binds to many other proteins, could implicate it in forming the amyloid mats seen in other inflammatory diseases, such as those in in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Earlier this year, other researchers found that injecting bacteria into the brains of mice prompted them to form amyloid plaques overnight."

OP
M

Miso

Endotoxin and LPS terms are mostly interchangeable, and though there's a common structure associated with them, there are many variations.

There are many factors modulating intestinal permeability, and don't have to achieve gut sterility to significantly reduce LPS exposure; in fact, there may even be bacterial species that could help improve gut permeability issues; stress has been shown to induce leaky gut symptoms, so stress reduction techniques may go a long way to prevent LPS entry into bloodstream. A healthy digestive system will secrete necessary agents that help maintain gut flora in check, and things like carrot/bamboo shoot salad and charcoal as promoted by RP will also help purge out the flora junk out.

Sheila

Dear Haidut
I really see this in clinical practice, the more people block endotoxin to blood stream leakage the healthier they become. It's not trivial, since everyone is different, so combination-solutions vary, but low dose charcoal has been a god send. One lady with nasty gout, who for reasons of need can not make the profound changes to her life that might resolve this, has cut her pain killers by another half using charcoal before bed and for her that is significant progress in her quality of life. As I see it, charcoal has bound up the endotoxins just enough to take the strain off the gut, lessen the accidental load to the blood stream which reduces inflammation which then keeps the pH stable (within a very tight range anyway) and there is no precipitation of uric acid. The implications for 'rheumatoid' (so called AI, more like NFI) diseases are profound especially since kidney function is so often also involved.
Anyway, sterling stuff, it's so nice to see Dr Peat's tireless understandings finally surfacing for those with eyes to see.
Thank you for all the brilliant work you post to keep us abreast of things. It is most appreciated.
Sincerely
Sheila

natedawggh

I think this study was long overdue, given how important is endotoxin (LPS) in Ray's writing on health and various disease states. I doubt there is a condition for which he has not recommended keeping endotoxin (LPS) levels low by ingesting daily carrot salad and/or charcoal. Another interesting finding of the study that also matches well with Ray's writings is that endotoxin also contributes to iron overload, which has been implicated in everything from Alzheimers to cancer to "mad cow" disease to ALS. Finally, the study found that endotoxin (LPS) stimulates the activation of abnormal clotting mechanisms, and Ray wrote an entire article on the connection between abnormal clotting and diseases like cancer.
Bleeding, clotting, cancer

It would be very interesting to see what the scientists would recommend as a remedy. Also, both natural and synthetic LPS is currently being used clinically to "treat" (gasp) a number of conditions like IBS-C, immunosupression from chemotherapy, and even used as a vaccine adjuvant to "prime" the immune system and make it fight pathogens better. It would a big financial blow to pharma companies if the bad news about endotoxin keep on coming...

Acute induction of anomalous and amyloidogenic blood clotting by molecular amplification of highly substoichiometric levels of bacterial lipopolysaccharide | Journal of The Royal Society Interface
Bacteria lurking in blood could be culprit in countless diseases

"...Could microbes be to blame for a host of diseases we thought they had nothing to do with? Researchers have found that bacteria in the blood of healthy people may help trigger strokes and heart attacks, and perhaps also contribute to conditions like Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes and arthritis. All of these disorders involve inflammation – a general activation of the immune system that normally serves to fight infection, but that can get out of control and cause damage. These conditions are also all linked to overactive blood clotting, excessive levels of iron in the blood, and sheets of abnormally folded proteins. No one knows why these traits are linked to so many diseases, but finding out could help us stop them. To see if bacteria could be playing a role in all this, Douglas Kell at the University of Manchester, UK, and Resia Pretorius, at the University of Pretoria in South Africa, have been looking at their ability to disrupt clotting.

"...Blood has always been considered free from microbes, because bacteria don’t grow when it is put in a culture dish. But recent DNA sequencing methods reveal that each millilitre of blood in fact contains around 1000 bacterial cells. These bacteria are usually dormant. But they can be revived when iron becomes available in the blood, and begin secreting lipopolysaccharides (LPS) – molecules on their cell walls that are recognised by the immune system and stimulate inflammation."

"...Kell and Pretorius wondered if LPS might also directly affect clotting. Most dormant bacteria in our blood comes from our gut. They mixed LPS from the common gut bacteria Escherichia coli with fibrinogen, a small protein in the blood that normally forms the fibrin scaffolds of clots. The LPS changed the fibrinogen, encouraging it to form abnormal clots that look a lot like those involved in heart attacks, strokes and deep vein thrombosis. “In all inflammatory conditions we have noted a matted, denser fibrin structure, without the typical ‘spaghetti structure’ found in healthy individuals,” says Pretorius. Just one molecule of LPS in a mixture of a hundred million fibrinogen molecules was enough to encourage the formation of these misformed clots. This means LPS must act as a catalyst, says Kell. They think LPS bends fibrinogen out of shape, and this shape-change spreads from protein to protein in a similar way to the deformation associated with prion proteins that cause BSE."

"...Overactive clotting is also a feature of inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and Alzheimer’s. These conditions involve excess levels of iron. The body normally keeps levels of free iron in the blood low to keep bacteria dormant and block their growth. “We think bugs are involved in all these diseases,” says Kell. Their observation that LPS causes fibrin to form mats, and the fact that LPS also binds to many other proteins, could implicate it in forming the amyloid mats seen in other inflammatory diseases, such as those in in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Earlier this year, other researchers found that injecting bacteria into the brains of mice prompted them to form amyloid plaques overnight."

The forum has covered various iron removal strategies but none of them are as viable as prescription chelators, for instance I can't give blood because I'm gay, but it's not really a very viable option anyway. I had some pretty great success with cilantro, but that required sustained and continued use. There has got to be some way to really get the iron out that doesn't require so much therapy.

While on alpha lipoid acid I noticed a marked increase in iron excretion (via smell), but it's difficult and a little dangerous to use it. I'm using silymarin but I feel like it's a poor option. I also use B1 and have had some success, as the body odor excretion is almost nonexistent which I take as evidence of lower iron stores. But I feel like my body has a very marked tendency to absorb iron, and that even with reduced stores there is still a supply of it which continuously permeates tissues, though I drink coffee at every meal and try to eat low-iron foods. It would be amazing to find a truly effective way to get rid of iron that doesn't involve needing a prescription.

CKA

I read that resistance training and sweating deplete iron. lifting heavy and sauna use could be something to consider.

Peater Piper

The forum has covered various iron removal strategies but none of them are as viable as prescription chelators, for instance I can't give blood because I'm gay, but it's not really a very viable option anyway. I had some pretty great success with cilantro, but that required sustained and continued use. There has got to be some way to really get the iron out that doesn't require so much therapy.
Really? Couldn't you just lie?

natedawggh

Really? Couldn't you just lie?

LOL. Well, yes, but I don't desire to give blood so desperately as to lie. It is actually illegal in the USA to give blood if you're gay and sexually active, leftover from the days of the AIDS crisis and it's accompanying misinformation.

natedawggh

Been doing some quick research into other Iron solutions related to this post on blood born bacterial endotoxin. The bioflavonoid hesperidin is apparently a strong iron removal agent. Peat mentions in an article about a scientist curing his bleeding gums from extracts of lemon, from whence he discovered "vitamin P" which became flavonoids. Citrus bioflavonoids have shown particularly strong health benefits for many illnesses. It would make sense for endotoxin to be involved in vascular leakiness/insufficiency, and citrus flavonoids are used all over the world to treat just that. This study used the citrus flavonoid hesperidin to decrease iron stores.
"The level of accumulated iron was significantly decreased by feeding a diet with glucosyl hesperidin..." Involvement of splenic iron accumulation in the development of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in Tsumura Suzuki Obese Diabetes mice

Interestingly, @Drareg posted this today: The Thyroid Hormone Inactivating Enzyme Type 3 Deiodinase Is Present In Bactericidal Granules And Th about how bacteria possibly inactivate thyroid locally in the blood via a particular enzyme. Turns out that citrus bioflavonoids actually kill these bacteria, and in so doing probably prevent this bacterial enzyme from working.

Hesperidin can be purchased by supplement, but it is also most abundant in the peels and pith of citrus fruits, and is also apparently very heat tolerant (so it can be cooked). So incorporating the skins of citrus into foods or eating whole citrus would be more beneficial to the reduction of bacteria and iron, and increasing local thyroid function.

Humans/Primates are some of few mammals incapable of making our own vitamin C. It seems this would have developed from our natural diet high in fruits, so it wouldn't be surprising that fruits hold more biological importance for us as a species than just vitamin C. As Dr. Peat is very pro-fruit and recommends orange juice, I think a logical addition to any health therapy would be a large helping of whole citrus each day.

Also...many studies show hesperidin protects against abnormal lipid peroxidation, which is one of the perils of thyroid disease.

Last edited:

CKA

Do you think drinking OJ with pulp for the hesperidin would outweigh any detriment of pulp?

michael94

Been doing some quick research into other Iron solutions related to this post on blood born bacterial endotoxin. The bioflavonoid hesperidin is apparently a strong iron removal agent. Peat mentions in an article about a scientist curing his bleeding gums from extracts of lemon, from whence he discovered "vitamin P" which became flavonoids. Citrus bioflavonoids have shown particularly strong health benefits for many illnesses. It would make sense for endotoxin to be involved in vascular leakiness/insufficiency, and citrus flavonoids are used all over the world to treat just that. This study used the citrus flavonoid hesperidin to decrease iron stores.
"The level of accumulated iron was significantly decreased by feeding a diet with glucosyl hesperidin..." Involvement of splenic iron accumulation in the development of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in Tsumura Suzuki Obese Diabetes mice

Interestingly, @Drareg posted this today: The Thyroid Hormone Inactivating Enzyme Type 3 Deiodinase Is Present In Bactericidal Granules And Th about how bacteria possibly inactivate thyroid locally in the blood via a particular enzyme. Turns out that citrus bioflavonoids actually kill these bacteria, and in so doing probably prevent this bacterial enzyme from working.

Hesperidin can be purchased by supplement, but it is also most abundant in the peels and pith of citrus fruits, and is also apparently very heat tolerant (so it can be cooked). So incorporating the skins of citrus into foods or eating whole citrus would be more beneficial to the reduction of bacteria and iron, and increasing local thyroid function.

Humans/Primates are some of few mammals incapable of making our own vitamin C. It seems this would have developed from our natural diet high in fruits, so it wouldn't be surprising that fruits hold more biological importance for us as a species than just vitamin C. As Dr. Peat is very pro-fruit and recommends orange juice, I think a logical addition to any health therapy would be a large helping of whole citrus each day.

Also...many studies show hesperidin protects against abnormal lipid peroxidation, which is one of the perils of thyroid disease.

That's really interesting because in grade school I would eat my orange/tangerine peels sometimes. Maybe it was an instinctual thing.

michael94

One of the main reason I have shyed away from OJ (commercial ) is because a lot of the enzymes and vitamin C risk being degraded through pasteurization but it's good to know certain important flavanoids are not affected. Still unsure though.

CKA

I thought the same until Dr. Peat said pasteurization has a negligible affect. My grocery store has cold pressed OJ (with pulp) but I save a lot of $ buying commercial with the amount I drink.

michael94

Now that I mention it I'm not surprised the flavanoids are not degraded by heat, as in the case of green tea and coffee (which also bind iron although not very strongly ). Makes me thing brewing leftover peels in boiling water would be a good way to extract the flavanoids?

CKA

That's a great idea and should def. work. I make a kale broth that I then make icecubes with for morning shakes so I don't taste it. I think I'll throw peels in the mix (pith and peel is super bitter)

tara

Makes me thing brewing leftover peels in boiling water would be a good way to extract the flavanoids?
Another good reason to eat marmalade. :)

Are endotoxin and LPS interchangeable, or are there different kinds of endotoxins?
I think most endotoxin is LPS (lipopolysaccharide), but there may be smaller amounts of some others?

CKA

Yea but what would you put marmalade on? eggs would be good I think

Peater Piper

LOL. Well, yes, but I don't desire to give blood so desperately as to lie. It is actually illegal in the USA to give blood if you're gay and sexually active, leftover from the days of the AIDS crisis and it's accompanying misinformation.
I'm feeling ignorant since I'm American and didn't know that, despite it apparently being a significant topic lately. I really need to pay better attention to the news. Phlebotomy might be an option, but I doubt a doctor would prescribe it unless your iron values are really crazy.

To the folks considering boiling orange peels, just be careful about what you use. A lot of oranges are dyed and covered in pesticides. Organic orange zest may be an option.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom