Zero-calorie sweetener (erythritol) linked to clotting, heart attacks and strokes

haidut

Forum Supporter
A striking finding but this new study below, and it is even more striking due to the fact that it involves erythritol - one of the non-caloric sweeteners thought to be the most harmless. You see, many studies have already demonstrated negative health effects from artificial zero-calorie sweeteners such as sucralose, sacharin, acesulfame potassium, etc and while mainstream medicine continues to claim that the evidence of harm from these artificial sweeteners is inconclusive, the negative findings were one of the reason for the food industry to search for alternative non-calorie sweeteners. The so-called sugar alcohols, which the body cannot readily metabolize, are the alternative the food industry identified and now advertises as the "safer" options for artificial sweetening of food and drinks. One of the main reasons for the food industry claiming that the sugar alcohols are harmless is the fact that they are very poorly absorbed from the GI tract of humans. Since there is very low absorption, the food industry decided that this was a sufficient evidence for lack of harm. However, the sugar alcohols are readily metabolized by the bacteria in our intestines, which usually results in increased levels of endotoxin (LPS). Since our own endotoxin (LPS) is now a recognized major factor in cardiovascular disease (CVD), the findings about erythritol make perfect sense, and probably apply to all other sugar alcohols used as sweeteners, with the possible exception of xylitol. The latter has a strong antibacterial effect and this is why it is used in chewing gums and dental hygiene products - i.e. to kill the oral bacteria known to cause cavities and gum disease.

The artificial sweetener erythritol and cardiovascular event risk - Nature Medicine
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/27/health/zero-calorie-sweetener-heart-attack-stroke-wellness/index.html

"...A sugar replacement called erythritol – used to add bulk or sweeten stevia, monkfruit and keto reduced-sugar products – has been linked to blood clotting, stroke, heart attack and death, according to a new study. “The degree of risk was not modest,” said lead study author Dr. Stanley Hazen, director of the Center for Cardiovascular Diagnostics and Prevention at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute. People with existing risk factors for heart disease, such as diabetes, were twice as likely to experience a heart attack or stroke if they had the highest levels of erythritol in their blood, according to the study, published Monday in the journal Nature Medicine."

LadyRae

Erythritol gave me immediate bloating and bowel cramping/ gas.... But I thought it was healthier than sugar when I was eating keto..
I quit consuming it years ago. So gross.

J.R.K

However, the sugar alcohols are readily metabolized by the bacteria in our intestines, which usually results in increased levels of endotoxin (LPS). Since our own endotoxin (LPS) is now a recognized major factor in cardiovascular disease (CVD), the findings about erythritol make perfect sense, and probably apply to all other sugar alcohols used as sweeteners, with the possible exception of xylitol. The latter has a strong antibacterial effect and this is why it is used in chewing gums and dental hygiene products - i.e. to kill the oral bacteria known to cause cavities and gum disease.
This makes great sense to me @haidut thank you for the time to break it up for us. I have heard good and bad about xylitol, we will have to wait on anything new regarding this sweetner.

Overton

Interesting, I saw this and was wondering about xylitol since i use the mints/gum for dental health.

I read somewhere the mechanism for xylitol killing bacteria is that it is biosimilar to sugar so bacteria tries digesting it, but because of the molecule difference dies of oxygen loss. I believe this is thought to be a similar mechanism with erithrytol. Is there really grounds to consider xylitol an exception, or should we be worried/look for alternatives?

Regina

A striking finding but this new study below, and it is even more striking due to the fact that it involves erythritol - one of the non-caloric sweeteners thought to be the most harmless. You see, many studies have already demonstrated negative health effects from artificial zero-calorie sweeteners such as sucralose, sacharin, acesulfame potassium, etc and while mainstream medicine continues to claim that the evidence of harm from these artificial sweeteners is inconclusive, the negative findings were one of the reason for the food industry to search for alternative non-calorie sweeteners. The so-called sugar alcohols, which the body cannot readily metabolize, are the alternative the food industry identified and now advertises as the "safer" options for artificial sweetening of food and drinks. One of the main reasons for the food industry claiming that the sugar alcohols are harmless is the fact that they are very poorly absorbed from the GI tract of humans. Since there is very low absorption, the food industry decided that this was a sufficient evidence for lack of harm. However, the sugar alcohols are readily metabolized by the bacteria in our intestines, which usually results in increased levels of endotoxin (LPS). Since our own endotoxin (LPS) is now a recognized major factor in cardiovascular disease (CVD), the findings about erythritol make perfect sense, and probably apply to all other sugar alcohols used as sweeteners, with the possible exception of xylitol. The latter has a strong antibacterial effect and this is why it is used in chewing gums and dental hygiene products - i.e. to kill the oral bacteria known to cause cavities and gum disease.

The artificial sweetener erythritol and cardiovascular event risk - Nature Medicine
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/27/health/zero-calorie-sweetener-heart-attack-stroke-wellness/index.html

"...A sugar replacement called erythritol – used to add bulk or sweeten stevia, monkfruit and keto reduced-sugar products – has been linked to blood clotting, stroke, heart attack and death, according to a new study. “The degree of risk was not modest,” said lead study author Dr. Stanley Hazen, director of the Center for Cardiovascular Diagnostics and Prevention at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute. People with existing risk factors for heart disease, such as diabetes, were twice as likely to experience a heart attack or stroke if they had the highest levels of erythritol in their blood, according to the study, published Monday in the journal Nature Medicine."
Thx! for posting the study and the commentary.
I just sent this to my sister--who has been consuming fake sugar in all the forms you mentioned above for decades.
:banghead:

bloooeh

But I thought it was healthier than sugar when I was eating keto..
I quit consuming it years ago.
I thought the same. Also, I used it for a year when I was doing keto and IF, years ago. Glad I quit!

LadyRae

I thought the same. Also, I used it for a year when I was doing keto and IF, years ago. Glad I quit!
I have to say, however, but I still use a bit of a NOW brand organic liquid stevia in my coffee in the mornings. I'm eating a lot of fruit throughout the day so it's not like I need more sugar

Eh, i don't eat it as it gives me crazy GI issues from even a teaspoon, but i do swish with it, xylitol, arm&hammer bicarb, salt, water and then spit it out between meals. Definitely has aided in getting my gum health back to a position where i can say it played a significant role

Something to be mindful of either way. (Gonna read the study first and pass on the sensationalist interpretation by mainstream media)

Dave Clark

Something I have to ask is: has this study used tests subjects that were vaccinated with the mRNA shot ? If so, you have to wonder if thrombosis is from the sugar alcohol or from the vaccination. In fact, I don't trust any human study after 2020. How many more studies are we going to see going forward that shows compounds, products, etc, that were here-to-fore proven to be safe and effective, but current studies will show clotting, bleeding, seizures, cardiovascular disease, etc.,etc. etc.? If there is not a qualifier in the test subjects that they are 'not' vaccinated, then as far as I am concerned, they are compromised individuals who can and will exhibit adverse responses that unvaccinated people would not, due to a changed and possibly compromised immune system and other bodily processes.
Erythritol has been studied for at least three decades that I know of, suddenly it causes thrombosis ?! What is next, B-3 shown to cause myocarditis, B-2 shown to cause seizures, you get the point. If I start seeing studies with humans, of things that we know are safe, showing new problems, that is a red flag for me. I would sooner trust a rat or mouse study, providing they didn't jab them as well. And, this works perfectly into their plan to control 'bad' supplements. If they can accrue enough negative studies, using compromised humans with the jab that will have hyper-reactive and aberrant results that will not be a proper cause and effect, they can start to deem these 'vitamins' as dangerous and unsafe', and in need of FDA control. It is like starting a study with 'sick' rats, instead of healthy rats, of course they are going to get sicker {with the exception of wash-outs or study designs that test something against a know disease, illness, etc.}.

GTW

It annoys me that erythritol is added to other sugar substitute sweeteners. I avoid erythritol because of adverse effects.
Xylitol does have a better research track record of positive effects. Don’t lump sugar alcohols together on that basis alone.

Peatress

Possible but goes to show toxicity whatever the source can be harmful and even fatal.
I was being sarcastic. The timing of this study seems suspect to me. I wish they would investigate the many heart attacks after covid injections.

J.R.K

I was being sarcastic. The timing of this study seems suspect to me. I wish they would investigate the many heart attacks after covid injections.
I know @Peatress my point was it seems the argument that the higher ups have been trying to poison us seems to have more and more evidence to back it up.
But to your point there does not seem to be any research on contraindications with other substances in the food system with these shots as well. Hence my statement it is a possible cause.

J.R.K

Thx! for posting the study and the commentary.
I just sent this to my sister--who has been consuming fake sugar in all the forms you mentioned above for decades.
:banghead:
I hope it helps @Regina I sent it to some family members as well and only got anger in return.

Peatress

I know @Peatress my point was it seems the argument that the higher ups have been trying to poison us seems to have more and more evidence to back it up.
But to your point there does not seem to be any research on contraindications with other substances in the food system with these shots as well. Hence my statement it is a possible cause.
Yes, the toxicity of artificial sweeteners has been known for a while. I recall warning friends about them about 10 years ago.

Last edited:

GTW

As Paracelsus wrote 500 years ago, what good to diagnose an illness if you don't have a remedy?
Whether the authorities are manipulative intentionally or not, deceitful or not?
But generalizing toxicity to all sweetners is equally illogical.

Dude look at WHO was part of the study...people ALREADY in awful health

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals