tara

Yea but what would you put marmalade on? eggs would be good I think
You've got a point. I've not been able to resist a bit of slow-leavened bread lately, but other options could include on top of icecream or rice pudding or hash browns or made into jelly?

michael94

Thanks for the warning, perhaps lemons/limes are safer if you're after the hesperidin from pulp and peel.

CKA

marmalade icecream!

Some toast every now and then ain't so bad either. It's probably best long term not to be too strict and stress out about diet anyway. Supposedly straight white bread is the best option (very quick digestion).

dbh25

I'm feeling ignorant since I'm American and didn't know that, despite it apparently being a significant topic lately.
There is a question for deferral in the HIV section, something like if you are man and had sex with a man since the 1970s, you are ineligible.
If you can donate blood, it definitely lowers your iron. I just made sure to get an iron panel every 6 months to monitor levels. I donated 10 times over 2 years.

CKA

Wouldn't donating blood also reduce every other nutrient then?

shepherdgirl

So C would increase absorption of iron, and hesperidin would help to remove it? I wonder what the net effect of citrus would be? Does hesperidin remove iron from the blood only - in that case wouldn't it be best to take it after eating an iron rich meal, so maybe eat only the peels, save the fruit for later?

natedawggh

So C would increase absorption of iron, and hesperidin would help to remove it? I wonder what the net effect of citrus would be? Does hesperidin remove iron from the blood only - in that case wouldn't it be best to take it after eating an iron rich meal, so maybe eat only the peels, save the fruit for later?
No, in the study it reduced iron in the spleen, I saw another where it reduced intestinal absorption. It's effective at all levels. Vitamin C is only reactive if there is iron in the food, so citrus with milk or obviously with fruit isn't going to contribute to very much iron absorption at all.

natedawggh

Now that I mention it I'm not surprised the flavanoids are not degraded by heat, as in the case of green tea and coffee (which also bind iron although not very strongly ). Makes me thing brewing leftover peels in boiling water would be a good way to extract the flavanoids?
That's such a great idea, sounds relaxing. I can't believe people dye oranges. Seems like that should be illegal.

Drareg

Been doing some quick research into other Iron solutions related to this post on blood born bacterial endotoxin. The bioflavonoid hesperidin is apparently a strong iron removal agent. Peat mentions in an article about a scientist curing his bleeding gums from extracts of lemon, from whence he discovered "vitamin P" which became flavonoids. Citrus bioflavonoids have shown particularly strong health benefits for many illnesses. It would make sense for endotoxin to be involved in vascular leakiness/insufficiency, and citrus flavonoids are used all over the world to treat just that. This study used the citrus flavonoid hesperidin to decrease iron stores.
"The level of accumulated iron was significantly decreased by feeding a diet with glucosyl hesperidin..." Involvement of splenic iron accumulation in the development of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in Tsumura Suzuki Obese Diabetes mice

Interestingly, @Drareg posted this today: The Thyroid Hormone Inactivating Enzyme Type 3 Deiodinase Is Present In Bactericidal Granules And Th about how bacteria possibly inactivate thyroid locally in the blood via a particular enzyme. Turns out that citrus bioflavonoids actually kill these bacteria, and in so doing probably prevent this bacterial enzyme from working.

Hesperidin can be purchased by supplement, but it is also most abundant in the peels and pith of citrus fruits, and is also apparently very heat tolerant (so it can be cooked). So incorporating the skins of citrus into foods or eating whole citrus would be more beneficial to the reduction of bacteria and iron, and increasing local thyroid function.

Humans/Primates are some of few mammals incapable of making our own vitamin C. It seems this would have developed from our natural diet high in fruits, so it wouldn't be surprising that fruits hold more biological importance for us as a species than just vitamin C. As Dr. Peat is very pro-fruit and recommends orange juice, I think a logical addition to any health therapy would be a large helping of whole citrus each day.

Also...many studies show hesperidin protects against abnormal lipid peroxidation, which is one of the perils of thyroid disease.

I would highly recommend the device here in this video,it's called a micro plane, if the peels don't have to be cooked to extract the flavones this device is perfect to save you time.
Put the shavings in your juice and knock it back.

Isn't there a study on here that apigenin down regulates androgen receptors somewhat like coconut oil? I believe it implies it's because of increasing progesterone? Something for men to keep in mind before knocking back large amounts of citrus peel.

natedawggh

Thanks for the warning, perhaps lemons/limes are safer if you're after the hesperidin from pulp and peel.

This article says that hesperidin was found most abundant in navel oranges, followed by clementines and then lime, it also varied with the ripeness of the fruit, as less ripe, younger fruit contained more hesperidin. On comparison I did happen to notice a higher increase in a sense of well-being when I ate an orange yesterday, and not quite as pronounced from eating a lemon this morning.

http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/9379/1/NPR 3(1) 12-15.pdf

shepherdgirl

i saw on www.phenol-explorer.eu that peppermint has some hesperidin.
i seem to remember reading that spearmint tea reduces facial hair, so i guess it's estrogenic. not sure if peppermint would have the same effect.

Giraffe

I also use B1 and have had some success, as the body odor excretion is almost nonexistent which I take as evidence of lower iron stores.
I sometimes use vitamin B1 to get rid of body odor. I assume it is lactate causing the odor in my case.

Why do you think iron is insolved? What's the link between iron and vitamin B1?

yerrag

This is a timely topic for me, thank you for bringing this up. I had an iron panel done today. I'm hoping my body iron is high, so I pin it on my hypertension. Funny thing is, I can't bloodlet if I'm hypertensive. And I'm not going to take prescription drugs just to lower my blood pressure.

ATP

Can someone please explain the difference between Lipopolysaccharide and endotoxin, also what are the different sources of these?

Ray recommends to choose foods that reduce production and absorption of endotoxin. From my understanding that would be anything that can cause fermentation such as starch and certain fiber. Also doesn't chylomicrons promote intestinal absorption of lipopolysaccharides? Which would mean to avoid saturated fats?

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

I sometimes use vitamin B1 to get rid of body odor. I assume it is lactate causing the odor in my case.

Why do you think iron is insolved? What's the link between iron and vitamin B1?

I can't speak to B1 so much, but a reduction in body odor is one of the things I noticed after getting de-ironed. E.D. Weinberg mentions in the intro to "Exposing the Hidden Dangers of Iron" that it was a simple experiment where he discovered that iron promotes bacterial growth, completely inactivating the antibiotic tetracycline, that started his interest in the effects of iron.

Since sweat is one of the ways that the body loses iron, it makes sense that a higher iron burden could make body odor worse, by promoting more bacterial growth.

tankasnowgod

Wouldn't donating blood also reduce every other nutrient then?

To a certain degree, but not as dramatically and reliably as it reduces iron. Iron is mostly removed as a component of red blood cells. The amount of iron removed in a unit of blood is estimated to be about 250 milligrams, and it doesn't really vary whether a person is iron loaded or not.

tankasnowgod

LOL. Well, yes, but I don't desire to give blood so desperately as to lie. It is actually illegal in the USA to give blood if you're gay and sexually active, leftover from the days of the AIDS crisis and it's accompanying misinformation.

Yep, this is certainly part of the blood donor regulations that should be updated. The question is something along the lines of "If you are a male, have you had sexual contact with a male, even once, since 1977?" It's clear that the main concern is STDs, as there are also questions as to whether you have had sex with a sex worker, intravenous drug user, a person with hepatitis, and even if you're a woman who has had sex with a male who had sex with another male. The way the questions are worded, some heterosexual men who engage in risky sexual practices could be accepted, while every homosexual man who is sexually responsible is disqualified.

If you're a man in that second group, I don't know why you wouldn't lie on the questionnaire. Firstly, that law is outdated, and maybe even discriminatory. Second, they test all blood for diseases, and while those tests aren't 100% accurate, they are more accurate then the intake questionnaire. Third, I'm not aware of any penalty (like a fine or jail time) for lying on the form. And lastly, how would anyone at the donor center even know if you lied about that?

CKA

Red Cross wouldn't let me donate blood because I was honest about traveling a lot in my past (I didn't know that would disqualify me). It's like they don't really want blood donations.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom