Does sugar suppresses the immune system?

Nicholas

the question is not if their claims about sugar are accurate....the question has to be, is their understanding of the body accurate. this article shows that they don't understand human physiology.....despite their negative claims about sugar maybe being valid for certain people and under certain contexts.

tara

If the points in that article are about refined sugars, as distinct from sugars in fruit etc, then the important point might be about deficiency of micronutrients?

tara

Purely anecdotal, of minimal statistical significance, but ...
I've been eating way more sugar the last couple of years, and my colds have been shorter and less burdomsome. But I did get something flu-like for a couple of days, which I haven't had for years. I figure the latter was probably a fluke infection, while the colds I get exposed to every year and usually they get me 2-3 times a year. I know others who had fluey things drag on for weeks and even months this year.

OP
Parsifal

Parsifal

Nicholas said:
the question is not if their claims about sugar are accurate....the question has to be, is their understanding of the body accurate. this article shows that they don't understand human physiology.....despite their negative claims about sugar maybe being valid for certain people and under certain contexts.
+1

tara said:
post 109650 Purely anecdotal, of minimal statistical significance, but ...
I've been eating way more sugar the last couple of years, and my colds have been shorter and less burdomsome. But I did get something flu-like for a couple of days, which I haven't had for years. I figure the latter was probably a fluke infection, while the colds I get exposed to every year and usually they get me 2-3 times a year. I know others who had fluey things drag on for weeks and even months this year.
Well, since stopping starch 2 years ago I've not been sick or had a flu 1 single time... And I'm eating a lot of refined sugar now (with plenty of micronutrients) without any problem for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

From that paleo guy's article:

It contributes to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. In fact, our livers process fructose very similarly to the way they process ethanol. Lustig calls fructose “alcohol without the buzz.”

No direct link between sugar intake and liver disease

"Despite current beliefs, sugar intake is not directly associated with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, according to a new study in Gastroenterology, the official journal of the American Gastroenterological Association. Rather, high-calorie diets promote the progression of this serious form of liver disease."

PeatMonster

When I added sugar back after low carbing for several largely cold-free years, I became repeatedly sick for a whole winter. Since then it got much better and I rarely seem to get colds again.

I remember the explanation for this being that cortisol and maybe other stress hormones suppresses the immune system. So not eating sugar might cause you not to experience the symptoms of colds.

J

James IV

I agree with peat monster.
I think many humans, particularly in the low carb arena, mistakenly think they have better immune function, when in reality they are experiencing immunosuppression. You see this a lot with fish oil as well.
Low carb, as well as fish oil, will both result in less inflammation because of the down regulation of the immune system. Often this results in folks believing they are "healthier" because thier various pains and problems have subsided. However, this "healing" is simply a result of the immune system "reacting" less, not a result of actual healing.

Then, when carbs (sugar) is reintruduced. You get the "rubber band" effect of a sudden up regulation of the immune system, which often results in excess inflammation, since inflammation is a natural signal to "direct" the immune system to the areas that need healing. Then folks say "see! Carbs make me sick!" When in reality, they were just too unhealthy to get "sick" in the first place.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals