Even-chain Saturated Fatty Acids Were Linked To Higher Rates Of Type 2 Diabetes

Ledo

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160307092329.htm

Mark Sisson, paleo blogger, has an analysis:

Dear Mark: Red Blood Cell Fatty Acid Content and Obese Paleo Figurines | Mark's Daily Apple

Edit, I left out this study first referred to as background on fatty acid types:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(14)70146-9/abstract

He writes "First up concerns a study seeming to show that linoleic acid (from seed oils) is a healthier, less inflammatory choice than olive oil or fish oil. Could it be true?"

"Very long-chain saturated fatty acids were linked to lower rates of type 2 diabetes.

Odd-chain saturated fatty acids were linked to lower rates of type 2 diabetes. These include pentadecanoic acid and heptadecanoic acid, found abundantly in dairy.

Even-chain saturated fatty acids were linked to higher rates of type 2 diabetes. These include palmitic acid, myristic acid, and stearic acid, found abundantly in meat and butter.

Sounds pretty damning, right? Hold on. In a comment to the journal, Dariush Mozaffarian makes an important point: plasma levels of fatty acids do not necessarily correlate with dietary intake of these fatty acids.

Although even-chain saturated fats are found in meat and butter, serum levels of those fats were not associated with consumption of those foods. Instead, people who ate the most sugar, potatoes, starchy foods, and drank the most alcohol—which Mozaffarian describes as “drivers of de novo lipogenesis”—had the highest serum levels of even-chain SFA. There was no relationship to meat or other foods actually rich in even-chain SFA. The likely explanation is that serum levels of “these SFAs are mainly derived from endogenous hepatic synthesis, driven by consumption of starch, sugars, and alcohol.”"

If true this contradicts the conventional wisdom here that fat produced in the liver from excess carbs is more benign than other types of liver fat.

Now the first study:

"Red blood cell linoleic acid does track well with dietary linoleic acid, so the people with lower inflammation, higher insulin sensitivity and other positive markers were eating linoleic acid."

Makes a case for eating nuts as the paleos have contended all along.

Last edited:

lvysaur

Excess meat is bad for you due to the tryptophan, cysteine, and methionine, not to mention iron.

I eat it occasionally, but I don't rely on it as a main source of protein. If I eat one too many hamburgers, I get very obvious diarrhea and stomach cramps. I got the same thing many years ago when supplementing melatonin. Definitely a serotonin connection.

There's also the fact that meat is not "meant" to be eaten, while dairy is. Animals store the greatest concentrations of toxic metals in their body fat, while dairy is spared from this effect, because it is meant to nourish offspring. Dairy has heavy metal levels that rival and often beat those of modern water supplies:
Lead and cadmium in raw buffalo, cow and ewe milk from west Azerbaijan, Iran

I personally only value metabolic ward and controlled clinical studies, not population studies. People are supposed to report what they ate and people don't even remember what they did yesterday, never mind what they ate for years.

When he says "Instead, people who ate the most sugar, potatoes, starchy foods, and drank the most alcohol—which Mozaffarian describes as “drivers of de novo lipogenesis”—had the highest serum levels of even-chain SFA" my response is always the same; they did not eat said starch fat-free. They ate it with polyunsaturated and/or saturated fat. There is only a small sect of the health community who eats fat-free starch and they are highly motivated individuals who reverse T2D, not cause it. Anyone who claims that "we've cut fat" doesn't understand that increasing pufa and safa from dairy is simply not "cutting fat," it's increasing it. It's also weird for him to lump alcohol in the same category as a baked potato. Two completely different things.

T2D and intramyocellular lipids:

Intramyocellular lipid storage and insulin resistance - Type 2 diabetes mellitus - Diapedia, The Living Textbook of Diabetes