Chopped Liver Pâté- Still Not Good

DaveFoster

Chopped Liver Paté - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

I made my own liver pâté from the above recipe. It's not bad; I actually can taste it and get it down with chips. However, it's still nothing I look forward to.

Hopefully someone can find some success with the above recipe. I may grow to like it, but just any hint of liver flavor is abhorrent.

CoolTweetPete

I thought getting my liver from pate was a great idea but I think it caused some significant weight gain. The amount of dairy fat I was using to make it semi-palatable was quite high. I have found more success using a desiccated liver supplement with coffee to control iron uptake.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I thought getting my liver from pate was a great idea but I think it caused some significant weight gain. The amount of dairy fat I was using to make it semi-palatable was quite high. I have found more success using a desiccated liver supplement with coffee to control iron uptake.
That's an interesting combo; I probably will end up doing that.

For the pate, along with using cream of course, I think the key is to make it spicy. (Black) pepper, cilantro, tarragon, kim chi; anything that adds bite to it takes away from the liver flavor. By the same token, dairy cream smooths out the flavor, so that helps as well.

Herbie

Add fried bacon, garlic and stronger herbs like rosemary + spread onto buttered baguette with a slice of cucumber for the most palatability from my experience.

or use pate as a dip with carrot sticks.

Sheik

I've come to sort of like liver after eating it for a couple years. I soak it in milk for maybe an hour and then cook with onions and garlic salt. It's just the damn blood vessels that annoy me.

I still gotta try the pate and fry up some corn tortilla chips. What kind of chips did you use?

CoolTweetPete

That's an interesting combo; I probably will end up doing that.

For the pate, along with using cream of course, I think the key is to make it spicy. (Black) pepper, cilantro, tarragon, kim chi; anything that adds bite to it takes away from the liver flavor. By the same token, dairy cream smooths out the flavor, so that helps as well.

Agreed with the taste. I used Danny Roddy's recipe which I must admit I miss making. It was rather delicious.

He uses liver cooked in coconut oil, cream (very high in dairy fat), Tamari sauce (which masks the taste very well but is made of fermented soy :???:), and salt. I would make it with homemade chips from sprouted corn tortillas. It was just immaculate, but I stopped making it due to the dairy fat.

I think I will make an exception this week though. :rolleyes:

Here's Roddy's wonderfully edited video if anyone missed it,

CoolTweetPete

I've come to sort of like liver after eating it for a couple years. I soak it in milk for maybe an hour and then cook with onions and garlic salt. It's just the damn blood vessels that annoy me.

I still gotta try the pate and fry up some corn tortilla chips. What kind of chips did you use?

Dr. Peat likes sprouted corn (treated with lime). He mentioned his students drawing their blood after they had consumed sprouted corn and finding no starch in circulation. This is a great brand I have found through most of California. Not sure about the rest of the world, lol.

Sprouted Corn Tortilla Chips

RMJ

if u cant stand the taste of liver try to close ur nose with ur fingers while eating it

for me this completely negates the livertaste

X3CyO

Wellness meats braunschweiger and liverwurst hands down best way to eat liver.

White pepper also helped me with the taste for whatever reason.

Wagner83

Did you try lamb and veal liver? You can also eat it with a pinched nose and then drink something sugary. You can also not eat it , a lot of people here believe taste is a good indicator of needing a food or not.

schultz

Back when I first started eating liver but didn't know how to cook it, I would take out a frozen piece of liver and chop it into small bits (easy to cut when it's frozen). I would then let it thaw in a bowl and once thawed would put spoonfuls in my mouth and swallow them with a bit of liquid (usually milk). Uncooked liver is very mild tasting. I can eat 4oz of liver in like 2 minutes this way.

Then I learned how to cook it. If you don't want it to have that barn flavour you should cook it on the highest heat possible for the shortest time possible. Soaking it is a waste of time in my opinion. Thaw it right before you start cooking it, that way it is not sitting there unfrozen for a few hours. The liver should stay pink on the inside as well. Raw liver doesn't taste like much, and the longer you cook it the worse the flavour is. My friend has been getting liver from some pub where they charbroil it and it is delicious! I plan on getting a charbroiler this summer because of it. The liver is pink on the inside, exactly how its supposed to be, which means they must just place it on the grill for like 30 seconds each side (or less).

If you really can't stand beef and lamb liver, then maybe don't eat it. Try chicken livers or something. Everybody likes chicken livers. They have a bit of PUFA but if you keep your PUFA low in general it should be no problem. You could easily eat 2oz a day of chicken livers and stay under 4g PUFA. 2oz of chicken livers has 1.1g PUFA, which is less than 2 eggs. Or you could just eat them a few times a week.

Mountain

Back when I first started eating liver but didn't know how to cook it, I would take out a frozen piece of liver and chop it into small bits (easy to cut when it's frozen). I would then let it thaw in a bowl and once thawed would put spoonfuls in my mouth and swallow them with a bit of liquid (usually milk). Uncooked liver is very mild tasting. I can eat 4oz of liver in like 2 minutes this way.

Then I learned how to cook it. If you don't want it to have that barn flavour you should cook it on the highest heat possible for the shortest time possible. Soaking it is a waste of time in my opinion. Thaw it right before you start cooking it, that way it is not sitting there unfrozen for a few hours. The liver should stay pink on the inside as well. Raw liver doesn't taste like much, and the longer you cook it the worse the flavour is. My friend has been getting liver from some pub where they charbroil it and it is delicious! I plan on getting a charbroiler this summer because of it. The liver is pink on the inside, exactly how its supposed to be, which means they must just place it on the grill for like 30 seconds each side (or less).

If you really can't stand beef and lamb liver, then maybe don't eat it. Try chicken livers or something. Everybody likes chicken livers. They have a bit of PUFA but if you keep your PUFA low in general it should be no problem. You could easily eat 2oz a day of chicken livers and stay under 4g PUFA. 2oz of chicken livers has 1.1g PUFA, which is less than 2 eggs. Or you could just eat them a few times a week.

I hadn't considered the longer cooking time contributing to bad taste -- thanks for the tip! What do you normally eat with your liver?

milk_lover

I will buy a frozen beef liver and cut it to tiny cubes in the next couple of days when I receive a car from the rental shop and report back how it feels. I will probably eat them with coke/pepsi and some milk and coffee.

M

member 2106

I actually find it's more palatable after a longer cooking time. It's mostly the texture that disgusts me, and when it's cooked longer (maybe 7-8 minutes at a medium heat) it's more meaty, and a bit easier to eat.

schultz

I hadn't considered the longer cooking time contributing to bad taste -- thanks for the tip! What do you normally eat with your liver?

Currently I make a "topping" for the liver. Caramelized onions, bacon, butter, a bit of vanilla ice cream, onion powder, thyme, salt. I originally did cream and added some sugar and vanilla but one day I didn't have any cream so I just used ice cream, which is basically cream, sugar, vanilla (and egg). Tasted good so I just do it that way now. I usually have rice or potatoes with it and either milk or pop.

I actually find it's more palatable after a longer cooking time. It's mostly the texture that disgusts me, and when it's cooked longer (maybe 7-8 minutes at a medium heat) it's more meaty, and a bit easier to eat.

I know what you're saying! However, this is why I think it needs to be very high heat. With the high heat, the outside gets the texture you're talking about but the inside stays pink. Don't think of it as meat, or steak, think of it as something different. If your mind expects steak you'll be disappointed haha.

If ya'll could just come to dinner, I could serve you some good liver.

Atman

I heard several times that fresh liver is supposed to taste a little sweet.
I guess that the bad taste is mainly due to letting it sit for too long.
Unlike muscle meat, liver decomposes much faster due to its high enzyme content.

You can't do very much against it because the moment you buy it, it already sat for many hours/days.
You would have to talk to a butcher personaly to get it right after slaughtering.

Irrespective of freshness though, calf's liver is the mildest and most tender liver of them all.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Wellness meats braunschweiger and liverwurst hands down best way to eat liver.

White pepper also helped me with the taste for whatever reason.
Totally! Wellness meat's liverwurst; the only way I can eat liver. Hands down BEST out there...

Fresh calf liver taste like a steak

tara

I think the key is to make it spicy.
+1, if you really don't like the flavour of liver.

But if the liver tastes bad, the first question to ask is whether it is fresh.

Add fried bacon, garlic and stronger herbs like rosemary + spread onto buttered baguette with a slice of cucumber for the most palatability from my experience.
and/or a slice of tomato :). Also good on rice cakes, if avoiding wheat.

It's just the damn blood vessels that annoy me.
I chop the big ones out with a pair of scissors before cooking or blending.

Soaking it is a waste of time in my opinion.
You know how quite a few people here give regular blood donations for the purpose of reducing iron levels? Wouldn't eating unnecessary extra blood tend to counteract that? I usually soak my liver (nowadays just in water) for a few hours to remove a good part of the blood for this reason, but I'd be interested in knowing whether it makes any significant difference to iron intake.
The liver should stay pink on the inside as well. Raw liver doesn't taste like much, and the longer you cook it the worse the flavour is.
+1

I heard several times that fresh liver is supposed to taste a little sweet.
I say it does. I guess that's the glycogen?
But liver well-stored a day or two old is fine, a couple of weeks in the fridge later not so much. But if you don't know exact age, you can tell a lot by the colour. Dark red is good. Grey is not.

Ella

Forum Supporter
calf's liver is the mildest and most tender liver of them all.

The liver from animals that are still on mother's milk is the mildest and tender. High heat and should be pink inside you don't want to cook it to death. High heat damages molecules. Adding a little gelatin broth also helps to keep it moist and tender. I also like to add fruits like apples, dates, currents, raisins or add my fruit chutney which is nice. I have a hard time getting my mother to eat liver but she thinks its yummy when I make it with fruit due to the sweetness. My kids when little had the raw liver juice.

Liver contains more copper than iron and drinking milk, coffee and green tea further protects from the absorption of iron. I have used liver quite successfully in individuals with very high ferritin and works beautifully without the need for blood draws in those individuals that are anaemic. The liver contains nutrient cofactors enabling the body to use iron properly. Prevents the accumulation of toxic iron. I would make sure you drink your Oj well before your liver though. Sometimes people get put off by the smell but once you eat is not so bad.

I find those that need it the most have the hardest time with liver. They also have extreme reactions when they do eat it. This reinforces that perhaps liver is not good for them, however, it is a sign that much is wrong. It could be that they are deficient Vitamin D, calcium and other minerals or toxic with heavy metals and environmental chemicals.

But if the liver tastes bad, the first question to ask is whether it is fresh

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals