Yellow Skin: Thyroid Vs Liver

redsun

Interesting point, I have been trying to increase my choline intake, but hadn't thought it was that important. My fructose consumption is already pretty low. Dropped 100g cold turkey. Usually around 20g only, from a little sugar in coffee, bananas and less than a cup of OJ. Had to start being really careful. Perhaps it's an issue of time. I will wait some weeks and do some other bloodwork. I have suspicions of Addison's Disease or Gilbert's Syndrome. If it's Addison it will be pretty ironic since I'll have to take corticóides.

Regarding PUFA. Coincidentally I conducted and experiment just now. Ate some sardines for my meal. Started getting liver pain similar to fructose. Not so sure of the PUFA fattening theory lol. I had seen some posts on the forum that although SFA may increase liver FAT, PUFA increases liver fat OXIDATION, which is what leads to toxic metabolites. Fat by itself isn't the issue I think I saw @haidut 's post on if the fat in the liver is saturated, it might actually protect it somewhat.

Yes its not an overnight thing, it will take some time, as long as its consistent there should be improvement.

Also "liver pain" where the gallbladder is likely indicative of gallbladder problems. I had low vitamin C intake and ate lots of fat awhile ago and started getting gallbladder pains. Vitamin C helped the pain go away.

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

There was a thread of yours where you mentioned regular ingestion of contaminated foods, these will increase your requirement for vitamins B, C, D, E and K. Vit C intake must not be low, but possibly relative to the dietary toxins and your current state.

- Good News If U Live In A Hot Place, Brazilian Fish Contain 0,01 Pufa Per 100g

I am failing to remember that thread. I avoid as much as possible contaminated foods, I think the only thing I have stated is that good labeling here isn't the best, as grass fed isn't synonymous with natural practices. If anything, almost all cattle here is grass fed (around 85%), but hormonal aspects, etc aren't labeled so well. Being we're a poor country and most of the large production go to the US and China, 70% of food is provided by local farmers. If anything, Brazilian food is less contaminated.

I get around 1g of Vitamin C per day, vitamin K I can only get K1 but currently have gotten it in enough amounts. It's summer all the time here so it's really hard for me to be low in D, but maybe. And indeed vitamin E is hard to get, as most supplements are soy derived and haidut has talked about PUFA contamination.

Idk where I posted that I eat contaminated food, but okay

I am actually conducting some research and I think the issue was aspirin. I may have Gilbert's Syndrome, as my yellow skin is asymptomatic, mostly. The symptoms I do have would equate to liver damage from aspirin.

Gilbert's Syndrome causes a deficiency in UGT1A, which metabolizes drugs such as paracetamol and ASPIRIN. I was taking 100mg a day so they would explain a lot. It happened after my aspirin intake increased. Although my low bilirubin doesn't tie in, fasting reduces bilirubin, so maybe it went just under the radar in my last exam. Also, perhaps it's not the Gilbert's Syndrome itself, but the damage from aspirin that is causing issues, and therefore low bilirubin. Plus, aspirin can displace bilirubin from albumin, further confirming my theory. I have stopped taking aspirin for the past 3 days anyway, let's see the results.

Amazoniac

Idk where I posted that I eat contaminated food, but okay
Guavas, mangoes, oranges, papayas, etc.
I am actually conducting some research and I think the issue was aspirin. I may have Gilbert's Syndrome, as my yellow skin is asymptomatic, mostly. The symptoms I do have would equate to liver damage from aspirin.
Aspirin and no leafy greens? You can also try commercial gelatin to find out if it helps during the episodes, just don't consume it with fruits if they're troubling.

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

Guavas, mangoes, oranges, papayas, etc.

Aspirin and no leafy greens? You can also try commercial gelatin to find out if it helps during the episodes, just don't consume it with fruits if they're troubling.

Interesting, didn't know these foods were contaminanted. I have eliminated most of them nontheless anyway.

Over the next few days I will prepare a post on what I found out about Gilbert's Syndrome and Aspirin's hepatotoxictity in some individuals. I will also just have to wait and see what will happen once I cease my aspirin intake, can't expect to fix it in only 3 days.

..Also,discoloration can be caused by excessive uptake of Cholesterol into the skin,
purportedly for reasons of delivery of more possible substrate for cutaneous Vitamin D synthesis.
You are moderately pale,so it can be brought on by this mechanism.
Furthermore,even in sunny climates there can be a lack of sufficient UV-B radiation arriving at
ground level to support the irradiation and activation of Vitamin D precursor in the skin.
i would advise for 4 weeks 20.000I.U. D3,and afterwards 4000 I.U. as maintenance dosage,from a safe
supplement.

Kyle Bigman

I have Gilbert’s but that would present with elevated bilirubin and yours was normal. We can’t see direct vs indirect but still, it was within range.

Inaut

@redsun I have gallbladder pain and find that Malic acid in some water typically eases it. What kind of vitamin c did you take and how much? I eat a lot of vitamin c fruits and potatoes so I’m not sure if I should add more to resolve this issue.

Thanks

redsun

@redsun I have gallbladder pain and find that Malic acid in some water typically eases it. What kind of vitamin c did you take and how much? I eat a lot of vitamin c fruits and potatoes so I’m not sure if I should add more to resolve this issue.

Thanks

In my case it was a vitamin C issue because I had low intake. It helps because you need vitamin C to make bile acids but also need B vitamins. B5 is especially vital but you need all Bs and vitamin C to make bile acids.

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

I have Gilbert’s but that would present with elevated bilirubin and yours was normal. We can’t see direct vs indirect but still, it was within range.

Yeah, that's what's bugging me. The problem is bilirubin and aspirin have the same pathway as far as I know (glucuronic acid) so it would make sense aspirin increasing unconjugated bilirubin. I am not sure how, I just know that since stopping aspirin my skin is slowly becoming clearer, although it still hasn't gotten to a point where I can say for certain it was the aspirin. The pieces just fall into place too neatly not to be it. The nausea and fatigue have passed, the skin will probably take a while

redsun

@_lppaiva very old thread but I have found that when I have been dealing with stresses especially lack of sleep and poor nutrition, my skin yellows. Exercise, especially the more intense it is, and excess stress will make rbc's break, increasing bilirubin build up. But also lack of B12 will make RBC too large and more fragile so they break easily, thus bilirubin can also build up this way.

I tried 5mg MethylB12 and the very next day I wake up and my skin tone is so white again. Its an incredibly quick change. So for whatever reason if you have excess stressors especially intense exercise (increased oxidative stress) or your antioxidant status is reduced (thus RBCs are not protected as well), or you just have RBCs that are not properly formed (megaloblastic anemia, due to B12 or folate deficiency, or both), this will be more likely to happen. May consider giving methylB12 a shot if you still have this problem.

Aspirin and folate binding: in vivo and in vitro studies of serum binding and urinary excretion of endogenous folate - PubMed

Aspirin may negatively affect folate status and thus contribute. Also its known NSAIDs (aspirin as well) can increase hemolysis, depends on the individual I suppose.

Last edited:

lvysaur

I am not sure how, I just know that since stopping aspirin my skin is slowly becoming clearer, although it still hasn't gotten to a point where I can say for certain it was the aspirin
I think you do not have gilbert's syndrome. Your yellow color did not come from bilirubin.
I have Gilbert's, and aspirin reliably decreases both my bilirubin blood levels as well as any yellowish color. Also makes my eyes whiter.

Motif

I think you do not have gilbert's syndrome. Your yellow color did not come from bilirubin.
I have Gilbert's, and aspirin reliably decreases both my bilirubin blood levels as well as any yellowish color. Also makes my eyes whiter.
Do you have issues with fat digestion? I wonder if my Gilbert is causing this

@Kyle Bigman hi! Same question for you... any issues with this ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals