Choline: An Essential Nutrient for Public Health that we’re not getting enough of in our diet

exile

To the tune of Dolly Parton “Jolene”:

“Choline, Choline, Choline, CHOLINE”

Vinny

moa

Published: 07 March 2023

Activity of Choline Alphoscerate on Adult-Onset Cognitive Dysfunctions: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis - IOS Press

Background: Choline alphoscerate (alpha glyceryl phosphorylcholine, α-GPC) is a choline-containing phospholipid used as a medicine or nutraceutical to improve cognitive function impairment occurring in neurological conditions including adult-onset de
content.iospress.com
content.iospress.com

Good find

I still take 250 alpha GPC every other day or so, but i have stopped eating 4 ore 6 eggs daily for now (eat them only some days).

it's much more potent than PC (i the think 4 times if i remember well), so 250mg containing 100mg choline, counting as 400mg, plus 100mg choline from diet, hope it's enaught.

i stopped eggs because i really developed kind of flat taste for eggs, almost disgusted. if your read my posts in July this summer, i started with 12 eggs per day and they were delicious.

then i took 6 per day for months and now they just don't taste good any longer, so i listen to my taste.

now i just take every other day (or more) zinc 25mg, copper 2mg. 100mg thiamine, 250mg aGPC, bacillus coagulans.

OP
David PS

David PS

Good find

I still take 250 alpha GPC every other day or so, but i have stopped eating 4 ore 6 eggs daily for now (eat them only some days).

it's much more potent than PC (i the think 4 times if i remember well), so 250mg containing 100mg choline, counting as 400mg, plus 100mg choline from diet, hope it's enaught.

i stopped eggs because i really developed kind of flat taste for eggs, almost disgusted. if your read my posts in July this summer, i started with 12 eggs per day and they were delicious.

then i took 6 per day for months and now they just don't taste good any longer, so i listen to my taste.

now i just take every other day (or more) zinc 25mg, copper 2mg. 100mg thiamine, 250mg aGPC, bacillus coagulans.
Congratulations, it looks like you have a plan to meet your choline requirements.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Is there a consensus of what the best choline supplement is?

moa

for acetylcholine, alfa GPC is best for nerves deficiency, 4 times more potent than normal choline for nerves, and dmae i think it's above fixing deficiency (pushing acetylcholine above normal levels).

if your want for liver health, CDP choline is better i think.

if you don't mind pufa-bind with choline , you can get PC, from sunflower.

i wouldn't worry about other side effects they talk about with PC (excepting pufa), i think they are unproven science.

OP
David PS

David PS

I am not aware of a consensus. Different forms are being marketed for different health issues.

CDP-choline (Citicoline) and Alpha GPC are better formulated to support the nervous system and brain. They are also thought to be better absorbed and used by the body because they more closely resemble natural food sources of choline. I use Alpha GPC.

D

Deleted member 5487

Well, My interest in choline is REAL now.

I took Alpha GPC for a few days and felt way more social/verbally fluent.

Then I took a CDP-Choline 300mg pill this morning with 2 huge cups of coffee and I about ran to the office an hour early.

Like the first dopamine I've produced in years.

Way more motivation/focus.

moa

@Amarsh213 i think acetylcholine is lowering serotonin. if you are high serotonin and low dopamine it will cause depression if you take too much. if you already are low serotonin and good dopamine it will cause low GABA symptoms for a few days. but if you are not anxious and have very balanced brain, it will only make your stronger, smarter... it's good to take before sleep also if you like vivid dreams.

essential nutrients needed to increase Acetylcholine :

zinc, manganese, vitamin C, B1, B5, choline

vitamin E raise acetylcholine dose dependent !

(maybe B6 P5P and B3 and other b's but I'm not sure how much they do)

DMAE

some nootropics like piracetam increase acetylcholine but taken with more choline as they waste choline.

Food cholinesterase inhibitors they increase acetylcholine such as solanine, chaconine, piperidines , huperzine A , quercentin, morroniside, polyphenols – flavonoids (fisetin, galangin, luteolin, apigenin) but not all of them cross the brain barrier.

coffee long term increase acetylcholine and GABA by restoring receptor sensitivity, but short term will decrease acetylcholinesterase and GABA.

careful with vitamin A it lowers acetylcholine dose dependent !!!

The ones that increase the most very short term are piracetam (with choline), B5 and maybe huperzine A (haven't tried this one yet).

moa

some nuts are very high in all nutrients that increase acetylcholine like :

zinc, manganese, B5, choline ++, vitamin E ++

there's no other way animals with high acetylcholine levels could sustain their agility without this food.

think about squirrels and such.

excepting predators who do get some of this nutrients from meat, nuts are the best or maybe the only vegan sources of this nutrients, that's why only mamifers that eat nuts (no animal can cook beans or potatoes for choline) have this agility (even surpassing carnivores who don't eat carbs).

So then, we humans can also cook beans, and soak nuts, maybe they are not as bad as we think here in this forum in moderation.

Almonds are one of the best nuts out there and good price.

moa

Potatoes contain the second highest levels of choline, next to protein-rich foods, like meat and soya.

followed by nuts, beans.

OP
David PS

David PS

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals