Choline: An Essential Nutrient for Public Health that we’re not getting enough of in our diet

Ben.

Not sure if it was mentioned already. Currently looking into mold/fungi infections more and was re-reading the PDF in the wondro thread and something caught my eye that might be worth mentioning in terms of candida albicans using acetaldehyde as a weapon:

"Acetylcholine is a significant neurotransmitter in both the peripheral and central nervous systemsresponsible for a host of functions including but not limited to mental concentration, memory, and sleeppatterns. Acetylcholine is synthesized in the body from dietary choline and acetyl-coenzyme A, aderivative of vitamin B5, by the enzyme choline acetyltransferase. Acetaldehyde has been shown toinhibit the production side but not the degradation side of acetylcholine thus creating a deficit in thisneurotransmitter."

If this has any truth to it then using alot of choline might not solve the issue.

OP
David PS

David PS

Not sure if it was mentioned already. Currently looking into mold/fungi infections more and was re-reading the PDF in the wondro thread and something caught my eye that might be worth mentioning in terms of candida albicans using acetaldehyde as a weapon:

"Acetylcholine is a significant neurotransmitter in both the peripheral and central nervous systemsresponsible for a host of functions including but not limited to mental concentration, memory, and sleeppatterns. Acetylcholine is synthesized in the body from dietary choline and acetyl-coenzyme A, aderivative of vitamin B5, by the enzyme choline acetyltransferase. Acetaldehyde has been shown to inhibit the production side but not the degradation side of acetylcholine thus creating a deficit in thisneurotransmitter."

If this has any truth to it then using alot of choline might not solve the issue .
Thanks for the information. The main reason that I that i started this thread is that many people are not getting enough dietary choline. Nothing inhibits 'the production side' of making acetylcholine as quite like not having sufficient building blocks available to make adequate amounts.

Acetaldehyde exasperates this shortage of building blocks in many people. As LLight pointed out earlier in this thread, TMG might be a workaround for people who want to lower their choline requirements.
Not sure it really answers your question but eating foods high in betaine (aka Trimethylglycine or TMG) might lower the need for choline.

Edit - Not getting enough dietary choline is a 'supply chain issue' ---> production side issues.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Did you get chickens yet? Maybe this spring? I have 10. We actually converted the bottom of our kids playset into a coop... I can send you some pictures tomorrow. But you have a much better starting point than I had...
Not yet but I’m still hopeful my life will calm down enough that I can make it happen. Spring sounds like the perfect time to start! I’d definitely love to see your pictures.

LadyRae

Not yet but I’m still hopeful my life will calm down enough that I can make it happen. Spring sounds like the perfect time to start! I’d definitely love to see your pictures.
These are not impressive pictures but it's been pretty melty here lately... The bottom of the play set, which is the coop with two nesting boxes, connects to an outdoor run via a metal mesh tunnel... The kids still use the upper part and the swings in better weather.. we've been getting seven to nine eggs a day from our 10 hens. We have a photocell timer on a 250 watt yellow heat lamp bulb inside the coop.

I feed them chicken scraps, non-GMO dried black fly larvae, an organic chicken crumble feed, and raw beef liver several times a week. They also got some beef kidney and suet a few days ago.

I prepare placentas into dried gelatin capsules for new mothers, and I've been giving my chickens the umbilical cords which they eat like a giant worm. I know this is pretty Savage, I wonder what kind of comments I'll get from this LOL...

Attachments

• IMG_20230114_150249461.jpg
    IMG_20230114_150249461.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230114_150226240.jpg
    IMG_20230114_150226240.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230114_150341848_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230114_150341848_HDR.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 27

Elie

Forum Supporter
Not sure if anyone on this thread related choline to high glucose levels (often goes hand in hand with fatty liver).
I saw a comment on one of Chris Masterjohn' Choline articles, who said that his folks, both type 2 diabetics, experienced recovery from 1100 mg or so of choline pills.
Thoughts? experiences?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Savage, I wonder what kind of comments I'll get from this LOL...
Nature is savage though. I absolutely love your set up. It’s really creative. Thanks for sharing the pictures. :blush:

LadyRae

They are related to dinosaurs, right? 🦖🐓
I'd say so, even if I was just going by behavior...

The egg machine that is chicken: it's fascinating to me how you can control the quality of the egg by the food going into the chicken so acutely. I think it would be so fun to have some sort of egg scrutinizing machine where one could see how the micronutrient levels change depending on what a chicken eats.

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

Blast from the past, when our government had our health in mind.
FncCf51WIAI6NXI

Frankdee20

Livers have choline, peanut butter and broccoli also

OP
David PS

David PS

FnhHxIyXwAAfvDw

OP
David PS

David PS

Published: 07 March 2023

Activity of Choline Alphoscerate on Adult-Onset Cognitive Dysfunctions: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis - IOS Press

Background: Choline alphoscerate (alpha glyceryl phosphorylcholine, α-GPC) is a choline-containing phospholipid used as a medicine or nutraceutical to improve cognitive function impairment occurring in neurological conditions including adult-onset de
content.iospress.com
content.iospress.com

Conclusion:​

α-GPC alone or in combination with donepezil improved cognition, behavior, and functional outcomes among patients with neurological conditions associated with cerebrovascular injury.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals