Low Toxin Logs Charlie's Low Toxin Lifestyle (diet, supplements, etc)

mosaic01

This is not true. I posted it in the other thread, I'm gonna post it here as well:

He definitely said to only take cypro short-term at one point. It's not like he doesn't contradict himself in emails here and there. I can't find the source though.

"Peat has said that any of the antiserotonin drugs will eventually cause side effects. The studies I have seen seem to back this claim, with even cyproheptadine causing elevated liver enzymes in some people after prolonged use." - haidut

But it doesn't matter in the end. Ray Peat is not the authority on what constitutes a safe medications and he was on the wrong track with his focus on symptom treatment.

Cyproheptadine goes into the nervous system and changes brain chemistry, it causes liver injury. There's no good reason to take it beyond emergency situations.

"The mere treatment of symptoms, without a detailed assessment of other conditions and contextual understandings, has potential pitfalls. Both common and serious adverse effects are associated with cyproheptadine, and monitoring the metabolic profile remains critical even when the benefits outweigh the risks."

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This is not true. I posted it in the other thread, I'm gonna post it here as well:
"Regarding Peat and his recommendation: I have asked him, and he said that doses like 5-6mg are probably safe over a long time. He added that some people he knew needed doses of up to 24mg to feel right again."
Ray Peat has said time and time again that any antiserotonin type medication is going to cause issues eventually. And they do that because they are toxic.

WonMore

He definitely said to only take cypro short-term at one point. It's not like he doesn't contradict himself in emails here and there. I can't find the source though.

"Peat has said that any of the antiserotonin drugs will eventually cause side effects. The studies I have seen seem to back this claim, with even cyproheptadine causing elevated liver enzymes in some people after prolonged use." - haidut

But it doesn't matter in the end. Ray Peat is not the authority on what constitutes a safe medications and he was on the wrong track with his focus on symptom treatment.

Cyproheptadine goes into the nervous system and changes brain chemistry, it causes liver injury. There's no good reason to take it beyond emergency situations.

"The mere treatment of symptoms, without a detailed assessment of other conditions and contextual understandings, has potential pitfalls. Both common and serious adverse effects are associated with cyproheptadine, and monitoring the metabolic profile remains critical even when the benefits outweigh the risks."

Ray Peat has said time and time again that any antiserotonin type medication is going to cause issues eventually. And they do that because they are toxic.
I've found the quote for you:

shepherdgirl

I have heard that water sitting in copper pipes all day can pick up copper, and that you should run the water a bit (collect it for some other use) before getting water for drinking from the tap. Also I would think that hot water would have more copper than cold. Even if you use a filter, it still might be a good idea. If you have acidic water this can be especially bad! - does your sink have green copper stains?? Beware!!

Krigeren

@charlie

Started a low(ish) vA / copper diet about three weeks ago along with zinc picolinate and baking soda buffered niacin, and things are going well except for maybe some periodic uncomfortable elimination episodes, for lack of a better term. Might be a good thing at this stage though(?) And overall I'm surprised at how much better I feel, especially energy, fewer aches and pains and sleep quality. I know it takes a while to really reap the benefits but so far so good.

I believe the most helpful thing for me so far is the zinc picolinate, which might make sense in my case b/c we apparently have a fair amount of copper in our well water.

A couple of questions:
1) Has zinc picolinate made a striking difference for anyone else in just a few weeks? If so any tips on it's usage?
2) In the past I've tried Activated Charcoal for stomach upset and it has helped. Has anyone ran into any evidence that frequent Activated Charcoal use and any associated persorption problems may be an issue long-term? Any studies out there on it? I know there's been conjecture, granulated vs powdered, etc. Have Kelsey or Dr. Smith commented on the risk?

Thank you.

AT1970

Hi Charlie,
i am experimenting with the low A diet.
The bulk of my diet has became whole grains + legumes + meat
Lately, via a google search, i've discovered that all cereals (even wheat) and legumes that have no vitamin A, have carotenoids.
Rice is the lowest but i am not happy to eat a lot of it both for the arsenic and for the fact that for me is costipating (even if eaten with legumes)
In your opinion is caroteoid in grains and legumes an issue?
Thanks

mosaic01

Hi Charlie,
i am experimenting with the low A diet.
The bulk of my diet has became whole grains + legumes + meat
Lately, via a google search, i've discovered that all cereals (even wheat) and legumes that have no vitamin A, have carotenoids.
Rice is the lowest but i am not happy to eat a lot of it both for the arsenic and for the fact that for me is costipating (even if eaten with legumes)
In your opinion is caroteoid in grains and legumes an issue?
Thanks

Doubt it. Taking wheat as an example, total carotenoid values of around 1-2 mg/kg do not appear to be much of an issue. Most of those carotenoids are not pro-vitamin a carotenoids and do not turn into retinol. Around 80% of it is lutein.

Let's say you eat 200g of wheat everyday, that would give a total carotenoid intake of mayke 200-400mcg, with most of it being lutein.

The goal is to reduce intake as much as possible to give the body the ability to detoxify retinol, not to avoid every trace of all carotenoids.

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Rice is the lowest but i am not happy to eat a lot of it both for the arsenic
Rice from Thailand is shown to be very low in arsenic and brown rice does not constipate like white rice does.

mosaic01

Rice from Thailand is shown to be very low in arsenic

I looked into this claim by whoever came up with this in the low toxin community a bit and unfortunately, this depends on the local soil, and even Thailand has some areas where the water is high in arsenic.

The problem is that the countries that export most of the rice (India, Pakistan, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.), still have no systemic solution for the high levels of natural arsenic found in well-water and ground-water that is used to grow the rice.

The US is definitely out, they have the highest arsenic levels, due to past pesticide use.

In comparison, the American rice accumulated the highest arsenic concentration (mean 0.257 mg kg−1) followed by the Thai rice (mean 0.200 mg kg−1), the Pakistani rice (mean 0.147 mg kg−1), the Indian rice (mean 0.103 mg kg−1), and finally the Egyptian rice (mean 0.097 mg kg−1).

It varies a lot even in rice grown in India:

1718800124113.png

Avoiding US and vietnam rice is probably the most important thing. Vietnam has a widespread arsenic problem in water.

More than a quarter of drinking wells in Vietnam's densely-populated Red River delta contain unsafe levels of arsenic that can cause cancer, neurological problems and hypertension, researchers warned on Tuesday.

Consumer Reports , the American non-profit which came out with an extensive report on the arsenic content in different rice varieties in 2012, reveals that rice varieties which have their husk removed and polished might have lesser arsenic content. It revealed that basmati rice from India and sushi rice grown in the US have the lowest inorganic arsenic content, while arsenic in brown rice, brown basmati rice and black rice (or forbidden rice) is much higher.

However, a 2017 study insists that basmati rice grown in Punjab and northwest parts of India have higher arsenic content and should be screened before consumption.

The study of samples from India showed that fully cooked basmati contained up to 0.9 units of inorganic arsenic per serving, boil-in-bag variety had 2.3 units, aged variety had up to 3.9 units, white variety had up to 3.9 units and the brown variety had up to 6 units of arsenic presence.

FDA has cautioned against making any state-to-state or country-to-country comparisons with these results as the number of samples are "too few" to support such an exercise.

The best solution might be to buy 3-4 different types of rice from both Thailand and India and not use one specific product, so things get averaged out. In the case of rice, I wonder how wise it is to buy from small organic producers, since that rice will usually be from a single small farm, increasing the chances of deviating from the average.

For example, a popular organic brand in Germany had double the allowed amounts of cadmium:

Even organic farming does not protect against this, as this test shows: The laboratory commissioned by us measured a cadmium content in Rapunzel long grain brown rice that more than doubles the EU limit.

There are two possible solutions to avoid any problematic arsenic level in rice:

1. There is a special form of dry rice cultivated in Austria that has no arsenic at all, but is only available in Austria and costs >14€ per kg (ÖsterReis | Reis aus Gerasdorf)
2. There is a Spanish rice brand called "Bombon", a form of "arroz bomba", that also has almost no arsenic, it's a form of risotto rice, but it's very difficult to get and the availability is seasonal

Every rice grown using the dry rice process is free from toxic heavy metals and unhealthy substances. Upland rice - Wikipedia

Arroz Bomba is grown in the Marjal de Pego-Oliva nature reserve and is even recommended by the EFSA for baby food. Even in the whole grain varieties, the arsenic values measured were merely between 27.6 and a maximum of 40.9 mcg per kg, even lower than the lowest types in India. Problematic rice from Asia has almost 10 times the amount - 200-300 mcg/kg.

Both are probably difficult to get for most, so chosing rice from India and potentially soaking it in charcoal for a couple hours or cooking in excess water seems to be the most reasonable choice.

Last edited:

AT1970

This is good news since in my country (Italy) most rice growers, at least in my area, due to to the lack of rain of the previous years, have switched to the dry rice process

mosaic01

Another interesting quote:

"The new limits are a problem for food companies. According to them, there is not enough suitable rice for infants and young children available in Europe. Companies such as Nestlé, Hipp and Sanorice, Europe's largest manufacturer of rice cakes, are therefore looking for low-pollutant harvests worldwide. However, rice from almost all countries of origin, such as Asia, especially Bangladesh, the USA, South America and Italy, is repeatedly too heavily contaminated. Schwerdtle knows that particularly contaminated goods have come from China in the past. Because the country has long had a national arsenic limit, the more heavily contaminated grain was exported as far as she knows. Only rice from Egypt is considered to be less contaminated.
Traditional preparation methods can help to detoxify the rice. In India, rice is boiled in six times the amount of water and the excess water is poured off at the end. The chemist Jörg Feldmann from the University of Aberdeen in Scotland proved that the Indian method reduces the arsenic content by 35 to 45 percent. However, this requires more energy and nutrients are lost."

This is good news since in my country (Italy) most rice growers, at least in my area, due to to the lack of rain of the previous years, have switched to the dry rice process

Doesn't that make the rice extremely expensive?

I can find sources only for >14 €/kg.

Last edited:

BrianF

I do not see them as two different phenomena. Someone could have easily perceived the other people around me getting "sick" as a "flu" going around. They might have thought they caught something, but I know what is up.
Is it possible the both viruses and the solar detox phenomena both exist and that the symptoms of a solar detox are very similar to cold or flu symptoms?

Nick

Is it possible the both viruses and the solar detox phenomena both exist and that the symptoms of a solar detox are very similar to cold or flu symptoms?
The vesicles called viruses do seem to exist but it is unclear whether they are causal of symptoms in any way. They are extracellular vesicles used by poisoned cells to excrete toxins and cell waste that is building up beyond the capacity to detox. So if a solar flare causes a flu-like illness, there may be viruses in the body but that doesn't mean they are causing disease.

Luc Montagnier's research suggested that the DNA code attributed to a specific virus may be electromagnetically contagious though the biofield but that may just be giving the code for the particular type of detox vesicle to be used in case of liver injury/extreme bile leakage, which could be caused by solar/geomagnetic phenomena or a toxin or electrosmog or something else. To make this even more complicated, the research practices of virology are so terribly sloppy that we often don't really know what the DNA they are looking at corresponds to.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals