Help , Cant Get Magnesium Levels Up!

OP
J4son

J4son

Yes, it's a very good chance that you are consuming too much calcium (as I do not know you, or your history) probably through supplementation or excessive dairy. Calcium is basically poison (See Dr Thomas Levy books on Calcium) - Yes it's a waste by-product from biological transmutation (refer to Professor C Louis Kervran book -Biological Transmutations). The body dumps this, normally into the bones as a strength and stiffener molecule as well as a repository for withdrawal later by the blood to balance the Ph levels. Calcium also causes muscles to contract - and too much causes the muscles to seize. On the other hand magnesium is the relaxant for the muscles and other flexible organs.

I have looked a little bit into biological transmutations in the past but I ve never found this information about calcium being a waste by-product .I thought Ray said that calcium is very important.Also from experience it is an important electrolyte that helps regulate my sleep.

mmb82

What is the relationship between magnesium and vitamin d?Does vitamin d need magnesium to work?What would happen if I became magnesium sufficient?Would stored vitamin d be used up

I also have found this article Vitamin D cannot be metabolized without sufficient magnesium levels, review finds

From what I understand, Vitamin D does not need magnesium to work, but your body needs magnesium to produce vitamin D on its own. By taking a vitamin D supplement directly, you are bypassing the entire process of vitamin D production. Thus, one could argue that a vitamin D deficiency is not necessarily due to lack of sun or taking a vitamin D supplement, but other factors, like magnesium and boron, that help the body to produce vitamin D from sunlight naturally. A deficiency in a single mineral can inhibit the body's ability to make vitamin D as a "safety" mechanism, probably to avoid absorbing more calcium if other nutrients are not there to balance it. The human body is quite intelligent.

Stored vitamin D doesn't get used up if you continue to take vitamin D, you just continue to store vitamin D in fat tissues until there is nowhere to store it. Once that happens, it gets put it in the blood. This is why most people take a vitamin D supplement for months and see no increase in their blood levels and then suddenly, their blood levels of D shoot up. To use up stored vitamin D, you need to stop taking it and potentially use vitamin A as an antagonist to pull it out of the tissues.

As I alluded to, Vitamin D increases calcium absorption, so if you begin to see increased levels of vitamin D in the blood, it will increase calcium in the body. If you are magnesium and K2 deficient, any excess calcium floating around your body may deposit in the soft tissues. If you are magnesium sufficient, the calcium is less likely to crystallize, reducing its ability to harden soft tissue or form things like bone spurs. K2 is ultimately responsible for keeping calcium out of the soft tissues and putting calcium in bone, but magnesium is important for keeping calcium "liquid" in the body.

tara

I thought white spots on the nails was related to a copper/zinc imbalance in the body, with copper being too high. This would make sense with what @tara mentioned about taking magnesium to reduce the white spots on the nails. Magnesium helps to bind copper to protein, so when magnesium levels are low, the amount of "free" copper increases, at which point it can be considered toxic because it is free to accumulate in organs rather than being "bio-available". The body can get rid of some of the unbound copper through natural detoxification, but if the liver is overwhelmed with the amount of free copper it has to detox, the excess can show up in the hair, nails, skin, etc.

Maybe it is a stretch, but if you want to experiment, try supplementing with magnesium (oral, topical, or some combination of the two) to see if it helps. If that doesn't work, you can consider taking zinc for a month or so to see if there is any improvement, but I would not do a zinc supplement long term unless you are sure of your copper and zinc status.
I had heard long ago that the nail spots were probably zinc deficiency, too. In the last 2-3 years, I've been supplementing small amounts of zinc (20mg/wk) because it
eliminated a skin rash I was having trouble with, and more recently I've doubled that to twice a week. But I was still taking that zinc when I've had patches of reduced MG and had the nail spots return. (I do supplement a little calcium (~400mg) along with the Mg, because milk and cheese don't agree with me and I eat enough leaves to cover it.)

tara

Magnesium Bicarbonate is a very alkaline solution. I discovered this when I drank a glass of it with a meal and then had awful reflux symptoms. I passed up some food and the acompanying liquid was in no way acidic.

After googling this I found out my mistake. It's recommended that you drink Mag BiCarb 1 hour before meals (apparently the alkalinity stimulates more stomach acid production, but this could be a zero-sum situation).

Either way, such an alkaline solution is going to necessitate compensatory mechanisms to maintain Correct PH in the body. That's why I've opted for magnesium chloride as it is only slightly acidic (Ph of 6)
It makes sense that if you drink a very alkaline solution with a meal it can reduce the stomach acid enough to mess with digestion.

I'm still finding this area complicated and don't think I have a full grasp on it, but according to my current understanding, some of us can use a bit of a alkalinising, and that might be a useful feature of appropriate amounts and timing of something like Mg bicarbonate, or the more alkaline forms of calcium, etc. Even then, having it in small, dilute quantities away from meals might make sense.

One of the ways the body can compensate for alkalinity might be to produce more CO2? I think if the system is running too acidic, this may have the converse effect on CO2 production. That is, in order to stop us making ourselves even more acidic, could our system reduce CO2 production by reducing metabolism?
I think my personal subjective observation has been that in order to improve my breathing (reduce my chronic hyperventilation), it helped to increase my consumption of alkaline minerals like calcium and magnesium.

I tentatively expect that Mg bicarb would suit some people better than others, depending on their current state and whether or not their system can use support to help it become more alkaline.

Mossy

Magnesium Bicarbonate is a very alkaline solution. I discovered this when I drank a glass of it with a meal and then had awful reflux symptoms. I passed up some food and the acompanying liquid was in no way acidic.

After googling this I found out my mistake. It's recommended that you drink Mag BiCarb 1 hour before meals (apparently the alkalinity stimulates more stomach acid production, but this could be a zero-sum situation).

Either way, such an alkaline solution is going to necessitate compensatory mechanisms to maintain Correct PH in the body. That's why I've opted for magnesium chloride as it is only slightly acidic (Ph of 6)
Thanks for the insight. What would you consider to be compensatory actions, and how to determine them--PH readings?

Mossy

I think my personal subjective observation has been that in order to improve my breathing (reduce my chronic hyperventilation), it helped to increase my consumption of alkaline minerals like calcium and magnesium.
Hi Tara, this is interesting. So, you feel your breathing is improved with Mag Bicarb? I feel with my health state, and allergic reactions, it would be good to know if I could improve my breathing via Mag BiCarb.

tara

Hi Tara, this is interesting. So, you feel your breathing is improved with Mag Bicarb? I feel with my health state, and allergic reactions, it would be good to know if I could improve my breathing via Mag BiCarb.
I'm not using Mg bicarb regularly. I did use some for a while, then went off it. Keep meaning to try again, but more dilute next time.
I do think that supplementing Mg and Ca was one of the things that helped my breathing, along with avoiding low blood sugars by eating enough, and attending to the mechanics of breathing with some exercises and support to keep my mouth shut at night and to retrain habitual diaphragmatic breathing.
And I think improving breathing was helpful systemically.

I'm currently using oral Mg carbonate and occasional mg chloride mostly topical.
At the time I made the biggest gains in breathing, I think I was using Mg glycinate, but I went off that too. At that time I was using more Ca carbonate (oyster shell) too.

I'm not sure what the best supplemental forms are - I think it may depend on personal chemistry. Peat recommends broth from leaves mostly, and I've seen him suggest Mg carbonate. I've read Peat's reservations about citrate, so I've not gone for that. Dan Wich turned up info about most stuff sold as Mg glycinate actually having a fir bit of Mg oxide in it. And then I got sick of the taste, so I switched. I'd be interested to try some of the other forms. I imagine that the ideal might be getting a good apart of it from food, but I haven't managed that yet. Maybe there's benefit in variety, too, but I don't know.

Mossy

I'm not using Mg bicarb regularly. I did use some for a while, then went off it. Keep meaning to try again, but more dilute next time.
I do think that supplementing Mg and Ca was one of the things that helped my breathing, along with avoiding low blood sugars by eating enough, and attending to the mechanics of breathing with some exercises and support to keep my mouth shut at night and to retrain habitual diaphragmatic breathing.
And I think improving breathing was helpful systemically.

I'm currently using oral Mg carbonate and occasional mg chloride mostly topical.
At the time I made the biggest gains in breathing, I think I was using Mg glycinate, but I went off that too. At that time I was using more Ca carbonate (oyster shell) too.

I'm not sure what the best supplemental forms are - I think it may depend on personal chemistry. Peat recommends broth from leaves mostly, and I've seen him suggest Mg carbonate. I've read Peat's reservations about citrate, so I've not gone for that. Dan Wich turned up info about most stuff sold as Mg glycinate actually having a fir bit of Mg oxide in it. And then I got sick of the taste, so I switched. I'd be interested to try some of the other forms. I imagine that the ideal might be getting a good apart of it from food, but I haven't managed that yet. Maybe there's benefit in variety, too, but I don't know.
I think I'm dealing with similar symptoms, and maybe even some reactive hypoglycemia, as I've heard it just defined. So, sounds like poor breathing and low, or imbalanced, blood sugar may go hand in hand.

I did try topical mag. chlor., after reading that it raises DHEA, but I get an allergic reaction to it.

I do remember reading that Peat likes broth, which I've started to do, steaming spinach leaves.

What about taking mag. hydroxide, apart from making Mag BiCarb--too much of a laxative?

Also, any thoughts on magnesium orotate?

The one thing I do disagree with, is the idea that magnesium can be effectively absorbed transdermally. This has been demonstrated to be false multiple times. One study that looked at epsom salt baths vs just plain hot water found no statistically significant difference in serum magnesium levels. The reality is, minerals like magnesium, calcium and sodium are much bigger in size than hormones are, and don't pass through the skin membrane as well.
Can just as well find studies that show the bath does raise serum levels.

stevrd

Can just as well find studies that show the bath does raise serum levels.

If you can find them, then please share, because they are sparse for those who have looked. And it can't be based on chance, would also be beneficial if it was replicated.

Vinero

Dark chocolate and Buckwheat are good sources of magnesium.
I buy buckwheat flakes and make a porridge out of it with milk and sugar.
Buckwheat flour to make pancakes is also good.
Increasing thyroid function is the most important, as the ability of the body to absorb magnesium and other minerals depends on adequate thyroid.
Eat a lot of food, never go hungry, eat high carb (including both starch and sugar), high animal protein, high saturated fat.
Lower your cortisol and free fatty acids and allow your thyroid to heal by eating a lot good food everyday.
Once your thyroid function becomes good, you will absorb magnesium extremely efficient.

tara

I thought Ray said that calcium is very important.
He did.
So, sounds like poor breathing and low, or imbalanced, blood sugar may go hand in hand.
My current understanding, subject to improvement, is that low blood sugars tend to result in increased stress hormones, and increased stress hormones (particularly adrenaline, but maybe others too) promote hyperventilation.

I did try topical mag. chlor., after reading that it raises DHEA, but I get an allergic reaction to it.
What sort of reaction? Itchy skin or stinging skin seems common. I get a bit of that. Diluting it helps. That's one of the reasons I don't use it topically every day.
What about taking mag. hydroxide, apart from making Mag BiCarb--too much of a laxative?
I haven't tried it and haven't read about using it directly either. I think it might be very alkaline (I'm not a chemist, that's a bit of a guess), so might have to be a bit careful about it?
Also, any thoughts on magnesium orotate?
Don't know.

Mossy

My current understanding, subject to improvement, is that low blood sugars tend to result in increased stress hormones, and increased stress hormones (particularly adrenaline, but maybe others too) promote hyperventilation.

What sort of reaction? Itchy skin or stinging skin seems common. I get a bit of that. Diluting it helps. That's one of the reasons I don't use it topically every day.

I haven't tried it and haven't read about using it directly either. I think it might be very alkaline (I'm not a chemist, that's a bit of a guess), so might have to be a bit careful about it?

Don't know.
Ok, that is consistent then with my symptoms and what I understood to expect, when I seemingly have reactive hypoglycemia.

Not just itchy skin, common from magnesium oil (store bought), but a histamine effect and sickness from the mag. chloride. topical (DYI). The mag. chloride solution must be more potent. I think as my system improves I may be able to handle it.

Thanks for the info.

ddjd

Ok, that is consistent then with my symptoms and what I understood to expect, when I seemingly have reactive hypoglycemia.

Not just itchy skin, common from magnesium oil (store bought), but a histamine effect and sickness from the mag. chloride. topical (DYI). The mag. chloride solution must be more potent. I think as my system improves I may be able to handle it.

Thanks for the info.
Do you have a lot of problems with Histamine in general?

TeslaFan

If we miss certain conditions, body will simply not retain magnesium even if we eat it enough. It's complex, but, for example, Boron deficiency will make it hard to retain Mg (something to do with Boron regulating Parathyroid gland) and vitamin B6 is what moves Mg into the cell. B1 is antagonistic to B6 (too much B1 can cause Mg and K deficiencies, for example). Too much B6 will lower B1 and cause other problems. Too much free magnesium in the stomach (not employed in bones, enzymes, or with ATP) will cause bacterial overgrowth. Bacteria thrives on Mg and alkaline environment it creates. Long story short, since Mg is one of the substances body uses to regulate metabolism, it cannot be just increased individually without considering a larger metabolic picture and addressing related cofactors.

Vinero

If we miss certain conditions, body will simply not retain magnesium even if we eat it enough. It's complex, but, for example, Boron deficiency will make it hard to retain Mg (something to do with Boron regulating Parathyroid gland) and vitamin B6 is what moves Mg into the cell. B1 is antagonistic to B6 (too much B1 can cause Mg and K deficiencies, for example). Too much B6 will lower B1 and cause other problems. Too much free magnesium in the stomach (not employed in bones, enzymes, or with ATP) will cause bacterial overgrowth. Bacteria thrives on Mg and alkaline environment it creates. Long story short, since Mg is one of the substances body uses to regulate metabolism, it cannot be just increased individually without considering a larger metabolic picture and addressing related cofactors.
I have read that some people who supplemented large amounts of magnesium every day (like 1 gram a day) got symptoms of candida overgrowth.
Too much magnesium can increase growth of bacteria and fungus, getting enough calcium can prevent this.

Mossy

Do you have a lot of problems with Histamine in general?
For sure. I am on a pretty pro-Peat diet, but I deal with histamines daily, I'd say.

ddjd

For sure. I am on a pretty pro-Peat diet, but I deal with histamines daily, I'd say.
id be interested to hear what hacks you've discovered that have helped improve your health...

Dave Clark

I have read that some people who supplemented large amounts of magnesium every day (like 1 gram a day) got symptoms of candida overgrowth.
Too much magnesium can increase growth of bacteria and fungus, getting enough calcium can prevent this.
One reason that it is important for anyone to make sure they have proper stomach acid levels. By the time we are 50 our levels drop in half, low stomach acid is breeding grounds for candida, bacteria, etc., since one of stomach acid's functions is to kill these things before they get into our systems. One of the reasons animals can eat dead and decaying things without getting sick is their strong stomach acids. Some betaine/pepsin at a high protein meal, etc. will be beneficial for digestion and disinfection. If you are young and don't need that strong of acid, ACV will work as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals