Low Toxin Logs Charlie's Low Toxin Lifestyle (diet, supplements, etc)

AlaskaJono

@Rinse & rePeat
I was just checking for a friend who is/was convinced long cooking times necessary for the beef bone broth, and I found this quote in an email ( from 2018) I wrote to him on the forum. ...

From ray peat forum search:

"I also used to cook my broth for 24 hours or at least overnight. But after an email exchange with RP (quoted below), I now cook it for no longer than 4 hours. Just like ARK says, it depends on the quality of the bones I get my hands on at the time but beef or veal joint bones make a very gelatinous broth. I fill about 3/4 of my pot with the bones, pour some white spirit vinegar over it and fill it to the top with water. Bring it to the boil with the lid off, skim the top when it starts boiling, put the lid on, turn it to the minimum, so it's just simmering, and then switch it off after 3.5-4 hours. Hardly any water evaporates in that time.

On how long a broth should be cooked:
It's mostly for the attached cartilage, ligaments, and tendons, and most of the gelatin is released in 3 or 4 hours. Excess cooking oxidizes nutrients, especially if there's marrow in the bone.
Which also means the bones should not be re-used. (I clarified that with RP too.)

On whether it would be ok to use chicken carcasses for broth:
In the US, chickens are fed arsenic to make them grow faster, and it concentrates in the bones; you should find out what the chicken feeding practice is in your area.
Of note also, regarding Lead contamination in so called organic chickens: From Weston Price website:

"Other common questions we often get are answered, including concerns about MSG or lead in broth. The lead scare was apparently started by a poorly done study in the UK, which found lead in broth made from organic chickens. Many details were missing from the study like what kind of cookware was used, what chicken feed was used, what water was used, living conditions for the chickens, etc. It turned out one critical detail of the study was wrong—the chickens were not, in fact, organic and may even have come from China. So all the study proved is that you have to be careful where your ingredients come from. Testing on real organic broth done shortly after that study revealed no detectable lead."
Keep reading ... it's a long one. Basically the chicken company was dissolved in 2011, and the
A careful reading of the study once again leaves us with a flock of unanswered questions.
One of them is that the team of researchers is a bit dodgy, my words... . Anyhow, just to add that many ideas or facts of what we think are 'true science' is based on possible dodgy science imo.

What were those “organic” chickens fed?
  • What water did those “organic” chickens drink?
  • Were the chickens “free range” or confined?
  • Where were the chickens raised?
  • What were their living conditions?
  • ETC..

J.R.K

@Rinse & rePeat
I was just checking for a friend who is/was convinced long cooking times necessary for the beef bone broth, and I found this quote in an email ( from 2018) I wrote to him on the forum. ...

"I also used to cook my broth for 24 hours or at least overnight. But after an email exchange with RP (quoted below), I now cook it for no longer than 4 hours. Just like ARK says, it depends on the quality of the bones I get my hands on at the time but beef or veal joint bones make a very gelatinous broth. I fill about 3/4 of my pot with the bones, pour some white spirit vinegar over it and fill it to the top with water. Bring it to the boil with the lid off, skim the top when it starts boiling, put the lid on, turn it to the minimum, so it's just simmering, and then switch it off after 3.5-4 hours. Hardly any water evaporates in that time.

Which also means the bones should not be re-used. (I clarified that with RP too.)

Of note also, regarding Lead contamination in so called organic chickens: From Weston Price website:

"Other common questions we often get are answered, including concerns about MSG or lead in broth. The lead scare was apparently started by a poorly done study in the UK, which found lead in broth made from organic chickens. Many details were missing from the study like what kind of cookware was used, what chicken feed was used, what water was used, living conditions for the chickens, etc. It turned out one critical detail of the study was wrong—the chickens were not, in fact, organic and may even have come from China. So all the study proved is that you have to be careful where your ingredients come from. Testing on real organic broth done shortly after that study revealed no detectable lead."
Keep reading ... it's a long one. Basically the chicken company was dissolved in 2011, and the
A careful reading of the study once again leaves us with a flock of unanswered questions.
One of them is that the team of researchers is a bit dodgy, my words... . Anyhow, just to add that many ideas or facts of what we think are 'true science' is based on possible dodgy science imo.

• ETC..
Not to mention conditions exposed to at harvesting, processing and packaging as well.
During the composting process of manure one of the compounds produced is…. arsenic. A point to consider in terms of feed, since manure is spread on fields for an organic fertilizer.

@Rinse & rePeat

• ETC..
I never got as gelatinous of a bone broth using just bones and vegetables and I do now, cooking them quick with the lid off, using the cartilage and skin. Heavy metals are stored in the bones. I don’t use vinegar either like I use to, just water…..

1706997723462.jpeg

1706997766949.jpeg

Peater

@charlie Any thoughts on the insulin spike with pure white rice? I just had a bowl of well-cooked jasmine rice and the thought came to mind.

OP
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
@charlie Any thoughts on the insulin spike with pure white rice? I just had a bowl of well-cooked jasmine rice and the thought came to mind.
Does not concern me. I do mostly brown rice, but I do love pure white jasmine rice and do eat it. I also will mix them, say two cups of brown rice and then one cup of white.

Peater

Does not concern me. I do mostly brown rice, but I do love pure white jasmine rice and do eat it. I also will mix them, say two cups of brown rice and then one cup of white.
Thanks that's good to know!

OP
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

freyasam

My test came back with my lead being sky high.
What kind of lead test did you do?
I did an HTMA and had lead in normal range and I've eaten Morton pickling salt for 10 years. Though some believe HTMA is inaccurate.
Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
What kind of lead test did you do?
I did an HTMA and had lead in normal range and I've eaten Morton pickling salt for 10 years. Though some believe HTMA is inaccurate.
Thanks for the info!
Toenail test.

Morten

This is not log per say, simply because I really do not have the time to log a complete picture. But I will use this thread to post a general all around of how I am doing this low toxin lifestyle, and any tips/tricks that I learn along the way.

First, this lifestyle has taken me from what I felt was the brink of death and now I am thriving with plenty of energy, deep sleep, and continually improving digestion and basically continually improving everything. I do not want to get into all the specifics, but it truly is a miracle the turnaround that was made in a little under 2 years. My brother was just telling me yesterday that I look so strong and vibrant and continue to get more of both. He calls it the miracle turnaround.

Going in, I knew this would be a commitment and am in it for the long haul. Same with Peating, the drain PUFA in 4 or 7 years mantra was big back in the day, so I decided to stick in that long to prove right or wrong. It was proven wrong in my case. So for the low toxin lifestyle, the theory is the liver is slap full of "vitamin A" (vA) and it takes quite a while to remove the vA. So, I am committed to walking this out. And so far, the results have been nothing but incredible. The "detox events" can be a bear sometimes, but every single time I come out on the other side stronger, more vibrant, and just all around healthier.

Here is some info about what I am eating. I do hesitate to post it, because what works for me might not work for you. But this is how I am rolling right now and it can indeed change. Also my diet is very simple because I am not married at the moment so basically doing all the food prep myself so I keep it simple as possible.

One of the most important aspects about the low vA diet is pooping. If you are not pooping, you are not getting the toxins out. Simple as that. And if you have cholestasis, the toxins are dumping into the blood and some will leave through the skin as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, etc. So you have to get bile moving and out of the body. Soluble fiber is so important for this. So beans, psyllium husk, etc are needed to pull out the bile. Not only does soluble fiber stimulate the liver to excrete bile, it also grabs ahold of the bile and moves it out the body into the toilet. For some, adding in soluble fiber can be a rough go at first, so backing down and easing back into it keeping to a comfortable level is good. Detoxing is truly and art, and artform you will perfect as you go. As your bile starts flowing better, and your bile acid profile changes, digestion will continue to improve.

Another very important and incredible way to get the poop going, is potassium. In the low vA groups many have noticed potassium is a game changer. And for me, it was an absolute game changer for me. Magnesium is another. Dr. Smith in his practice has found that magnesium as magnesium chloride topically stands alone on its ability to bring up magnesium stores. He says it works 10 times better then anything else. I have found this to be true. So, for my topical magnesium I use this recipe:

You can also do baths with magnesium and potassium. It is important NOT to use magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salt) as the sulfur slows down the detox system. Also, keep in mind that if you water is high in copper, this can be an issue as the copper is absorbed very easy. Personally, I stay away from baths.

So again, pooping is crucial. Ideally a person should be pooping first thing when they wake up, then after every meal. Many of us are noticing the size of our poops are monumental, this is what you want. Me and my brother are head members of the "logs for life" club. Hope to see you in there soon.

As far as supplements. I will post my stack below. Did I start on all these at first, no way. And I had a very hard time with Selenium(Sel) and Molybdenum(Molyb) at first. I was extremely copper toxic going into this, I thought I had full blown Parkinsons. Come to find out after testing it was copper toxicity. I think copper toxicity is running rampant alongside vA toxicity and a lot are suffering from it without realizing.

I also had a very hard time with zinc due to it displacing copper. So when I would introduce Sel, Molyb and zinc I would literally feel like I was getting fried by electricity due to my liver trying to remove the copper and also other heavy metals and toxins. It is not until recently have I been able to tolerate all three, and I think a big reason for that is the introduction of Niacin as Nicotic Acid. Niacin has been an absolute game changer. Dr. Smith says it opens up the bottlenecks of detoxification, and boy oh boy does it do that. Toxins are literally ooozing out of every pore and fluid of my body to get out. The profound changes that happen with Niacin are nothing short of miraculous. I have some family members around me who have not started the diet yet, and they have started the Niacin and it has been a game changer for them. Better sleep, more energy, etc.

I am also trialing CDS right now to help oxidize the toxins. I am only taking a very small dose and I do not recommend anyone taking this without doing full research into it. This is not a game.

So, for my family members. My first recommendation to them for supplements is Niacin, then Magnesium and Potassium. Once they get a solid feel and foundation built on those, then I advise them to start looking at Sel, Molyb, and Zinc all the while making sure you are getting good clean sodium too.

I am also going to be trialing B7 due to @haidut's recent findings. Dr. Smith has said that he believes the B Vitamins are simply antidotes for toxins. My experience backs up his claims.

Sunlight is important to detox vA, so getting plenty of safe amounts of sunlight is important. When I am not able to get sunlight I supplement with tanning beds. Will sunlight get rid of excess vA from a vA rich diet? No way, you cannot out sunlight a vA heavy diet.

Breathing is such another important part about all this. If you notice, mainstream knowledge is all about "anti-oxidants". Well, oxidation is life, no wonder they are against oxidation. And a huge amount of detox of Aldehydes happens through the lungs. So breathing can be another game change as I have found this to be true. I am using Rome Za's breathing program. It has taken my detoxing up another level and has profoundly changed me. This is so important, do not miss this. I am in no way affiliated with Rome I am only a user of his breathing program.

Another big aspect is EMF mitigation. When the correct EMF mitigation is applied, the detox capacity of the body increases dramatically. If I had to pick of only two things I could use for detoxing, they would be Niacin and the proper EMF mitigation. These two things have made the biggest and most profound changes in my life and my family members around me. Truly mitigating EMF removes an incredible amount of stress from the body so that it can then use that energy to detox instead.

Clean water is another very important aspect, so distilled water is best and then reverse osmosis is second best. Either one of these will be fine. If you are worried about no minerals in the water, sprinkling a bit of 50/50 salt.

I am also doing infrared sauna and ozone sauna's with CO2. Both of these are absolute game changers. Especially when used in tandem with Niacin. I used the Ozone Lady website to get the instructions for the sauna. Here is the link:

That is about all I can think of right now. I will update this thread as I can. If I make any changes to the OP I will post about it in the thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will answer best I can.
I missed the great 5....what are those?

OP
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

youngsinatra

Since I tried adding 100% pure organic coconut water to my diet, I am literally craving it so much. I am drinking a liter every day.

It’s like a good addiction, haha. Especially if the coconut water is nicely cooled, so stored in the fridge.

GreekDemiGod

Since I tried adding 100% pure organic coconut water to my diet, I am literally craving it so much. I am drinking a liter every day.

It’s like a good addiction, haha. Especially if the coconut water is nicely cooled, so stored in the fridge.
You live in Germany, right? Where do you even get good coconut water? Where I live, it’s super expensive, and filled with dozens of questionable ingredients.

youngsinatra

You live in Germany, right? Where do you even get good coconut water? Where I live, it’s super expensive, and filled with dozens of questionable ingredients.
From DM. („Drogerie Markt“)
They have organic pure coconut water without any added ingredients. (3€/Liter)

sunny

Yeh and that is also at the time my teeth were literally crumbling and I had to get several fillings but my dentist would not let me get fillings because my blood pressure was so astronomically high. The dental helper told me to go immediately to the emergency room. I refused to go on high blood pressure meds so I had to wait months to get my teeth fixed. I finally talked the dental helper into just overlooking the high blood pressure and she did. The was all during the time I was deep into the Ray Peat food suggestions. That was truly an awful time of my life and I am grateful to God he has sent the answer on how to pull out of it.

On a side note......I know Dr. Smith goes hard on "Peaters". Even though I do not agree with his delivery, he has seen the absolute destruction that the Ray Peat food suggestions can cause and has saved many "Peaters", including myself. Why do you think so many people are flocking to him from the Ray Peat community? Because this diet on a whole, is destructive. Can some handle it? Of course, they are Blessed with incredible livers. But eventually, the toxins always wins.
Would you post a chronometer though on what you were eating and supplements you were taking while you implemented Peat suggestions. Maybe that could help explain why you did not do well and others don't have issues.

Also, how was your health when you started Peat's ideas. What issues were you hoping to solve at that time?

What was your lifestyle like? Sunlight, blue light, screen time, grounding, general time frame- as in aging complicates everything- easier to recover/regerate when younger.

Thanks in advance if you have time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals