Carrot Powder Replacement For Raw Carrot

Geronimo

Raw Carrot Powder- 100% Pure & Organic non-GMO from fresh Carrot

New member and long-time lurker here. I love Z Natural Foods. In the link above, they sell raw organic carrot powder. Would this work as a potential replacement for the raw carrot?

It claims to be raw and their products have been high quality during all the years I've been using them. That being said, I know drying of vegetables can change their properties. I just want something effective on hand for Convenient Carrot Consumption™. (no, it's not a real trademark...but it could be!)

SOMO

No, because the milling, grinding and drying process destroy the fiber.

Dried carrots would still be effective, but once it's pulverized into a powder, it loses its properties.

Sometimes I make "carrot chips" or "vegan bacon" where you slice the carrots into long strips like bacon, and then dunk it in maple syrup+salt and put it on the lowest setting in the oven for 1-2 hours depending on the thickness.

It tastes pretty good and a few of them get crunchy and it's a nice alternative to PUFA-laden Tera potato chips.

OP
Geronimo

Geronimo

(PDF) Effect of drying methods on dietary fiber content in dried fruit and vegetable from non-toxic agricultural field

It seems that the fiber does stay mostly intact actually. Another resource states:
Vegetables can also be preserved by drying. Because they contain less acid than fruits, vegetables are dried until they are brittle. At this stage, only 10% moisture remains and no microorganism can grow.
upload_2020-5-24_6-50-56.png

UGA › nchfp › uga
PDF
Drying Fruits and Vegetables - National Center for Home Food Preservation

mrchibbs

Raw Carrot Powder- 100% Pure & Organic non-GMO from fresh Carrot

New member and long-time lurker here. I love Z Natural Foods. In the link above, they sell raw organic carrot powder. Would this work as a potential replacement for the raw carrot?

It claims to be raw and their products have been high quality during all the years I've been using them. That being said, I know drying of vegetables can change their properties. I just want something effective on hand for Convenient Carrot Consumption™. (no, it's not a real trademark...but it could be!)

I don't think so, especially since Ray recommends slicing the carrots a certain way, it's really more about the bulk, and for every carrot piece to have enough surface area to absorb excess hormone and carry away endotoxin. Moreover, much of the carrot salad benefit comes with the coconut oil/vinegar/salt dressing, which potentiates the benefit of the carrot fiber.

Not saying it 100% couldn't work. Activated charcoal powder works, but is problematic because very small particles pose a risk of persorption (passing through the intestine)

SOMO

(PDF) Effect of drying methods on dietary fiber content in dried fruit and vegetable from non-toxic agricultural field

It seems that the fiber does stay mostly intact actually. Another resource states:
Vegetables can also be preserved by drying. Because they contain less acid than fruits, vegetables are dried until they are brittle. At this stage, only 10% moisture remains and no microorganism can grow.
View attachment 17982
UGA › nchfp › uga
PDF
Drying Fruits and Vegetables - National Center for Home Food Preservation

Drying of the whole food will likely preserve most of the fiber.
But pulverizing/powdering it will not, and drying would be expected to further reduce that.

You can make your own dehydrated carrots btw, even without a dehydrator. Just cut the carrots into thin strips using a potato peeler and put in your oven on the lowest temperature setting with the door slightly open.

OP
Geronimo

Geronimo

Well I went out and tried it. It's definitely antibiotic, which I assume is due to the falcarindiol and similar substances which should be preserved by a gentle drying process. I know it was antibiotic because I felt like total crap the next day lol. I've struggled with SIBO-like symptoms and used activated charcoal long enough to know what an endotoxin dump feels like. But I think it may be inferior to intact carrots because it lacks the bulk-forming and sweeping action. It's probably a more concentrated antibiotic (not necessarily antiseptic due to lack of "sweeping") substance than intact carrot due to the fiber being totally powderized, increasing the free falcarindiol but lacking ability to form bulk further down the intestinal tract. Implications?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals