Can You Deplete PUFA While Still Eating Butter, Chocolate, Etc

J

JohnBonham

Quick question:

I want to cut out polyunsaturated fats (nuts, oils, etc.) so as to not allow PUFA to mess with Vitamin A transport. Do I have to cut out all fat entirely for a while or can I continue to eat these foods? A diet without fat is so bland. Am I stuck with eating fat free foods to reap the benefits?

tyler

From my understanding, you can still deplete PUFA while eating a higher fat intake, but it will take more time.
I think it's probably most important that you enjoy your food. Firstly, to make the diet sustainable. Secondly, so your body has an easier time digesting the food and obtaining it's nutrients. I have read Peat say something along the lines that people need to enjoy what they're eating so the body will secrete proper digestive juices. Or something like that... But my experience also speaks to mood and digestion going hand-in-hand. The more I'm enjoying my food, the better it feels in my stomach and the better my digestion is.
But anyway, I think if adding a little fat into your diet makes it enjoyable, then go for it.

paymanz

agree with tyler plus that saturated fats can displace pufa in some places like cell membrane, or change free fatty acid nature from pufa to SFA.

but you can also make SFA from carbs, and most of them are too low on pufa,comparing too butter or coconut oil.it depends, maybe some people are god at lipogenesis and some are not, maybe it depends on some vitamins...

sorry if i confused you but there is no clear answer!

Luann

Take the plunge, you'll be glad you got it over with. In no way do I advocate doing the depletion the slow way no matter how much easier it is.

OP
J

JohnBonham

Take the plunge, you'll be glad you got it over with. In no way do I advocate doing the depletion the slow way no matter how much easier it is.

How long do you suggest cutting out fat?

G Forrest

Just wondering what is the PUFA content in butter? Kerrygold says 11g fat/serving, with 7g being Saturated, so does this mean that possibly up to 4g of the fat is PUFA??

L

lollipop

Just wondering what is the PUFA content in butter? Kerrygold says 11g fat/serving, with 7g being Saturated, so does this mean that possibly up to 4g of the fat is PUFA??
Might be MUFA not simply 4gms PUFA. Somewhere on the forum someone posted the breakdown of grassfed butter. Maybe you can google the answer :):

Velve921

Quick question:

I want to cut out polyunsaturated fats (nuts, oils, etc.) so as to not allow PUFA to mess with Vitamin A transport. Do I have to cut out all fat entirely for a while or can I continue to eat these foods? A diet without fat is so bland. Am I stuck with eating fat free foods to reap the benefits?

I'll be coming up on the 4 year mark for low PUFA this year. There were many times I tried going low fat to deplete PUFA more quickly; however, every time I've had terrible emotional dips. My body has adapted to a higher fat intake and after 4 years its not seeming to change where I can go low. From my experience, its important to maintain good emotional wellness and balance as much as possible to continue on with a happy life. I've had amazing emotional improvements over the past 4 years, but the most noticeable PUFA depletion symptom is skin health. I've not used sun block in 5 years and this summer I've been out in the sun 3 different occurrences where I had exposure for 2-6 hours with no coconut oil or solban for protection; just pure skin contact. As a kid I would develop bubble blisters on my shoulders with 20 minutes of sun exposure.

To sum up my thoughts of personal experiences, I've found that being patient and make the change a life long life change rather than think about the quick fix has been a good route.

L

lollipop

To sum up my thoughts of personal experiences, I've found that being patient and make the change a life long life change rather than think about the quick fix has been a good route.
YES! +1

Waynish

If dark chocolate is too high in pufas, then I'd rather die! Cacao fat and quality butter should be some of the lowest pufa fats, though!

T

tca300

Care to elaborate? Are you implying that a low fat approach is the only way?

Me: You have repeatedly mentioned PUFA accumulates with aging. My question is, if someone in their 20's started eating a diet with less than 2 grams of PUFA per day, and maintained that low PUFA intake permanently into old age, would PUFA still accumulate with age? Thank you!

Ray Peat: I think some would still accumulate in the fat tissues, unless total fat intake was low, and PUFA intake was half a gram or less.

People should focus on eating nutrient dense, non irritating, easy to digest foods, while avoiding large amounts of PUFA. Depletion isn't practicle for 99.9% of individuals, and for some who aren't very learned on essential minerals and vitamins it could lead to serious deficiencies.
( If they could even stick to such a strict diet long enough to actualy cause an " essential fatty acid deficiency " in the first place, which I doubt )

Last edited by a moderator:

RobertJM

Me: You have repeatedly mentioned PUFA accumulates with aging. My question is, if someone in their 20's started eating a diet with less than 2 grams of PUFA per day, and maintained that low PUFA intake permanently into old age, would PUFA still accumulate with age? Thank you!

Ray Peat: I think some would still accumulate in the fat tissues, unless total fat intake was low, and PUFA intake was half a gram or less.

People should focus on eating nutrient dense, non irritating, easy to digest foods, while avoiding large amounts of PUFA. Depletion isn't practicle for 99.9% of individuals, and for some who aren't very learned on essential minerals and vitamins it could lead to serious deficiencies.
( If they could even stick to such a strict diet long enough to actualy cause an " essential fatty acid deficiency " in the first place, which I doubt )

So basically, unless you are militant about keeping it half a gram or less (which surely is impossible?), you are going to acumalte it regardless. Mother natures way of us 'getting older' and 'dying'. That's a bit depressing!

T

tca300

So basically, unless you are militant about keeping it half a gram or less (which surely is impossible?), you are going to acumalte it regardless. Mother natures way of us 'getting older' and 'dying'. That's a bit depressing!
It's possible, but without micronutrient supplementation its not possible ( to my knowledge) to achieve needed vitamins and minerals.
The amount of PUFA you eat ( provided your in a calorie surplus ) will dictate the rate at which in accumulates.
Which is why coconut oil, aspirin and vitamin E are so important.

DHT

This is Haidut's research:

PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days!

PUFA Depletion Achievable In 2 Weeks On Fat Free Diet

But it will be different for different parts of the cell.
never ever its impossible to loose all pufas in your whole body only after 30 days. Unless you lived in deepest jungle never touched civilisation its impossible to deplete pufa. I think a good value is after 10 years for average or maybe more. Because pufa = toxin and we are living in shitty environment and top of that we have shity genetics. So dont dream that you will loose pufa after 30 days.

Peatful

Aside from avoiding PUFA, are there any indicators, sign/symptom wise, that confirm its depletion?

I would assume my temps increasing and becoming more stable?

DHT

Aside from avoiding PUFA, are there any indicators, sign/symptom wise, that confirm its depletion?

I would assume my temps increasing and becoming more stable?
yes you feel really really bad espiacilly if you deplete pufa fast

johnwester130

vitamin e

coconut oil

aspirin

niacinamide

will get you there. all safe, normal supplements

butter/chocolate/dairy are saturated and mono-unsaturated anyway , so yes, they can be eaten

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals