It Seems Logical To Me About Peat's Emphasis On Not Eating PUFA's Because

yerrag

Just checked. The Florida ones are ten percent fat by mass. I am a subscriber to the Journal Avocado Aficionado (kidding about that, but they really are ten percent fat).
You got me there Travis.

Did you mean PUFAs are 10% of the total fat?

I just realized I wasn't clear about what I meant by 12% fat in my earlier post. I meant that according to my calculation of the data from Nutrition Data, the PUFA content of total fat in avocado is 12%. I was hoping to get some data on tropical avocados, such as those from the Philippines or areas with similar latitude. I'm pretty sure the PUFA content would be lower, but how low would it get? Would it be possible for avocados from countries around the equator be zero-PUFA?

And no, I'm not hanging by a thread here to save the avocado:clown:

Last edited:

Travis

You are right. Hass, Bacon, and Fuerte cultivars have a polyenoic acid concentration of around twelve percent. Follow this link and click on "download free pdf" if you are interested. I'll look around for an analysis of those Big Green Ones from the tropics.

Travis

Looks like Purdue University did most of the heavy-lifting. Here is a quote:
The avocado has a high lipid content-from 5 to 25% depending on the cultivar. Among the saturated fatty acids, myristic level may be .1%, palmitic, 7.2, 14.1 or 22.1%; stearic, 0.2, 0.6 or 1.7%. Of the unsaturated fatty acids, palmitoleic may range from 5.5 to 11.0%; oleic may be 51.9, 70.7 or 80.97%, linoleic, 9.3, 11.2 or 14.3%. Non saponifiable represents 1.6 to 2.4%. Iodine number is 94.4. In feeding experiments which excluded animal fat, 16 patients were given 1/2 to 1 l/2 avocados per day. Total serum cholesterol and phospholipid values in the blood began to fall in one week. Body weight did not increase. Cholesterol values did not rise and 8 patients showed decreases in total serum cholesterol and phospholipids.

The polyunsaturates in Avocados are almost exclusively Linoleic Acid. It looks like PUFA content ranges as low as nine percent, and total fat gets down to five percent.

This is about the total fat level in Durian. This illustrates how much selective breeding probably went into these things throughout the ages.

If anyone is really curious about these things, there is probably more that you ever wanted to know about them here: Welcome to Avocadosource.com

Check out the "Journals" page. It almost appears as if they have archived every journal article on avocados ever published; anywhere.

Last edited:

yerrag

That's awesome. Looks like I really have to love avocados to keep it on my fruits list. I don't know, but it'll take a lot to keep me from it when it's in season - guacamole and avocado shakes, and avocado fixings on chimichanggas and fish burritos.

It's very sinful, but I don't think I'll pass.:D

tara

But eggs are created for reproduction, not so you can eat them.
They are created so the growing chick can eat them - I count them as made to be food because the their main purpose is to nourish a growing animal. Like milk or honey.

Travis

But it is the growing animal.

You could say that milk and fruit were created to pass through a mammal's digestive tract.

You cannot say this about any other foods, not even eggs.

And not honey. That's for insects.

So the primacy of food should be raw milk first and fruit second.

tara

But it is the growing animal.
Only in the same way that milk becomes the growing animal as it is incorporated into growing tissues. The fertilised beginning animal is a small thing packaged inside a big bowl of nourishment that it gradually consumes until the food is gone and the animal fills the shell.

You could say that milk and fruit were created to pass through a mammal's digestive tract.
You can say that about fruit - it's primary purpose is to get the seed transported. Being good food for animals is a useful byproduct - I guess made more useful by their symbiotic co-evolution with the frugivores and omnivores.
But not milk - the sole purpose of milk is nourishment for the growing animal offspring.

And not honey. That's for insects.
True it's for insects. But it's primary purpose is nourishment of the growing insect, just as milk and eggs are for mammals, birds, reptiles, etc.

Relevantly, they would all be designed to minimise toxins and anti-growth substances. Unlike leaves, for instance, whose purpose is to photosyntesise sugars for the plant, and which defend themselves with anti-nutrients of various kinds.
Thats how I see it, anyway.

Travis

I don't know a whole lot about embryology, but I think that the chicken forms inside of the egg: the components reassemble themselves to form the chicken.

So the chicken does not actually grow inside of the egg; it comes into being at the proper size.

Some ancients used to think there was a little man inside of sperm cells. This has turned out to be false.

I view the egg as chemically identical to the chicken, but it is probably easier to digest because of entropy. More of the proteins are already in shorter chains.

But they can polymerize and crosslink if they are cooked of course.

nikolabeacon

In exact design Fruits (not all) are the only food primarly designed as a food for our digestive system,,, But we evolved with " secondary foods" ....milk is designed primarly as a food for growing animals, eggs and other plant seeds( starch without bran and chemicals in it) are energy reservoirs for growth ( so they are food for itself) and we use only "seeds "(eggs)which are produced in warm environment because we evolved in the same climate ( high saturation of fats). Roots are then one level below "seeds" suitable for our physiology because they are also reservoirs of minerals(food) for suporting the life of a plant. Perfect is Fruits and animal products from animals in right environment with high saturation of fats(bees are insects but honey bee colony is one large warm organism which evolved in tropics with wax as a saturated fat).

tara

I don't know a whole lot about embryology, but I think that the chicken forms inside of the egg: the components reassemble themselves to form the chicken.

google images for chicken egg embryo development

Xisca

One thing I don't understand is the motivation to purchase hydrogenated coconut oil.
Who will check with RP, I am almost sure he means that some stuff in coconut oil are allergenic, and what is needed is the one that is neutral: no smell, no allergens.
= virgin one is fine, if it has been filtered and is odourless.
Starchy foods have to be cooked in a certain way and eaten with the right combination of spices to overcome some of its harms.
Yessssss
All food has to be eaten in the right form, like raw carrot and cooked mushrooms!
We do have amylase and can digest starch, of course, as there is some in fruits, especially if we want to eat them before other hungry animals!

And we have been successful to cover earth thanks to our ability to be omnivores.
We can eat all if we know how to cook/prepare food to minimize drawbacks. We are made to think short term, and that includes reproduce before thinking about living long. Long is never long enough if you do not leave offsprings!

Of course some foods are better, but what if they are not available? Eat something else or die.
Everything is food to some other living being! Even some bugs thrive on lanoline, they eat sheep fur! Some drink blood, others plant sap, and what is edible some some is poisonnous for others.
Life is amaizing!

Tell a bear that honey is insect food.... Tell a snake that lick some grass, that this milk that fell there is not for snakes...

Nuts are tasty by the way, and not short term toxic. But it is not a staple anywhere, not a main food apart from coconuts. Ground sesame seeds do seem to have something special among oil seeds, if you read some eastern texts, I guess some stuff that gives all its taste.... And seems to have to be toasted, again: RIGHT food preparation!

lvysaur

With the exception of the Masai, most African cultures do not drink milk.
This is not true.

Almost every non-Bantu ethnicity in Africa has a big tradition of milk-drinking. This includes Maasai, Fulani, Tutsi, Tuareg, Beja, Nuba, Kalahari pastoralists, and various others.

The lactose tolerance-associated genes in Africa are far more numerous than those in Eurasia. The takeaway is that lactose digestion probably evolved much earlier in Africa, back when the Sahara was a green meadow with a warm steppe climate. As such, even Bantu Africans would have been consuming milk traditionally (though not as the central food)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals