It Seems Logical To Me About Peat's Emphasis On Not Eating PUFA's Because

Travis

coconut.jpg
Ok. So the entire assembly is labeled a drupe, but it still has a seed. All drupes have seeds.

I have bought entire coconut drupes before; in Florida. Most of the time however, I buy just the seed itself (local grocery store).

The entire drupe can be useful, since the husk fibres (mesocarp) can be used to make ropes and whatnot.

All drupes have seeds, and not every seed is a nut. Coconuts, almonds, and cashews are not classified as "nuts" by botanists. I wonder if Botanists get angry when they find almonds in the "nut section" of the grocery store? (Remember Steve Martin in Father of the Bride?)

From Wiki:
. Unlike other drupes, the coconut seed is unlikely to be dispersed by being swallowed by fauna, due to its large size.
Unlikely to be swallowed by fauna? Apparently they didn't know that the Loc Ness Monster likes whole-coconuts.
Nessie.jpg

Last edited:

lvysaur

The indigenous peoples of the higher latitudes had and continue to have better adaptations to pufa.

However, the people who occupy these latitudes now derive a sizeable portion of their ancestry from starch/dairy eaters from warmer climates.

Syncopated

I believe God created the seed oils to be used by man, but not in a dietary way.
Seed oils do nothing to satisfy appetite. Years ago I would eat up to a cup of Udo's oil, which is a flax/sunflower blend, on popcorn. Couldn't get any calming of the appetite.
No, God created the seed oils for painting and wood varnishing etc., not eating.

Travis

Avocado comes from the Nahuatl word āhuacatl; which means testicle.

Kyle loves āhuacatl. He has pictures of them, and he eats them.

He fondles them, and squeezes them.

Agent207

Fresh walnuts taste good to me. And macadamia nuts are awesome.

Last edited:

Syncopated

One thing I don't understand is the motivation to purchase hydrogenated coconut oil. I don't know if Dr. Peat has done analysis of hydrogenated oil but it involves the use of a metal catalyst, usually nickel or copper. Simple refined coconut oil is 96% with miniscule amounts of monounsaturated. Peat states the antithyroid effect of monounsaturated fatty acids like oleic as little effect.

Why buy hydrogenated? Seems to me the basic refined product would be purer. Yet Peat also eats eggs.(source of PUFA)

Travis

The motivation to buy hydrogenated is created by the hydrogenators.

It would be an insignificant amount of PUFA avoided if you ate any other fatty food at all.

Just one Brazil Nut or one egg would probably have more PUFA than the amount hydrogenated in 12oz of coconut oil.

lexis

.....back in the day, say before the industrial age was going full steam ahead, people did not make oils for everyday use to put in their food such as soybean, canola, sunflower etc etc. They didn't have the mass capability to do so.(not living in the industrial age) Maybe some folks would grind up sesame seeds,or something in their backyard, but these oils were not used on a wide scale basis. In the west, they basically used butter, lard, animal fats. Saturated fats. And in the east, they used coconut oil ( I assume)..ghee in India......and in the middle east, I guess they used olive oil for cooking- or just cooked animals in their own fat...at least that's what you read about from biblical times. And the olive oil is not as PUFA as all the other PUFA oils so they were healthier in that sense.

So, with that said, it just makes logical sense to me that we are supposed to eat, by and large, saturated fats and leave the other fats alone. Or, if you are going to eat, again, say sesame seeds, then you would eat the seeds whole, and not grind them up and use them as an oil, or fat for example. And people would just eat the nuts they picked from their trees-eating the nuts in their whole state, not as an oil, perhaps by passing the more detrimental effects of the oils. Back in the day.......now our systems are so screwed up from offering us frankenfood, no wonder even nuts and seeds are not optimal fat sources....Anyhoo..

I'm sure others have stated similar thoughts on this forum, but eating saturated fats and oil is eating the way we are supposed to eat, aiding and nourishing our natural biology instead of hindering it, rather than seeing our bodies decline from it's original healthy state.

And the fruit issue....(that could be a whole other topic) but we are supposed to eat fruit like Peat says. Fruit is good. Fruit is tasty. Fruit is nutritious (or is supposed to be before (big pharma, TPTB) thought they could improve upon it with geoengineering -not gonna visit that topic here) Anyway, for what it's worth, Peat's knowledge about biology and nutrition just makes logical sense to me and seems like a good way to eat........that's my two cents.........
Not getting the drinking the coke thing on a regular basis tho....

Dr.Mcdougall says starch has to be our staple food. But I tend to agree with him. Eating 10 servings of fruits is something only for the rich and famous. And Ray Peat 'style of eating' has been accused of being too expensive.

Starchy foods have to be cooked in a certain way and eaten with the right combination of spices to overcome some of its harms. People in remote islands have lived without any milk and they didnt suffer any calcium deficiency.

DaveFoster

The motivation to buy hydrogenated is created by the hydrogenators.

It would be an insignificant amount of PUFA avoided if you ate any other fatty food at all.

Just one Brazil Nut or one egg would probably have more PUFA than the amount hydrogenated in 12oz of coconut oil.
The testicle thing, well-done.

But this way, one can eat one egg and get lesser incidence of cancer.

nikolabeacon

It is simple design philosophy behind this. Not eat something that is not designed to be a food for human physiology ( digestive system). Staples should be foods which are primarly designed to be foods( milk, eggs, fruit( indeed some have their reflectance physical characteristics) , and other products from healthy Warm blooded animals as as supplemental and ocassional consumption, and some plant and its products which grow in Warm period of the year) with some edible supplemental foods such as roots, mushrooms. In Those foods you wont find dangerous amounts of PUFA (or you should not).

Travis

I agree that milk and fruit were designed to be foods ; you can add honey to this as well.

But eggs are created for reproduction, not so you can eat them.

tankasnowgod

Not getting the drinking the coke thing on a regular basis tho....

I think that largely comes from this quote from his article Sugar Issues-

"A daily diet that includes two quarts of milk and a quart of orange juice provides enough fructose and other sugars for general resistance to stress, but larger amounts of fruit juice, honey, or other sugars can protect against increased stress, and can reverse some of the established degenerative conditions.
Refined granulated sugar is extremely pure, but it lacks all of the essential nutrients, so it should be considered as a temporary therapeutic material, or as an occasional substitute when good fruit isn't available, or when available honey is allergenic."

If you're wondering why Peat himself seems to drink Coke regularly, well, that's because he's a lean, 80 year old badass nutrition renegade.

And while talking about the positive (or even neutral) health effects of sugar soda does seem odd nowadays, Peat is not alone on this delicious, sugary island. Many athletes will use soda during their training, as this article demonstrates- At What Point In A Race Should I Start Drinking Cola? | Triathlete.com

nikolabeacon

I agree that milk and fruit were designed to be foods ; you can add honey to this as well.

But eggs are created for reproduction, not so you can eat them.
Indeed you are right..same as the seed....eggs than go to supplemental foods as A products from Warm blooded animals(with high saturation). Same as cocoa and coffee as A supplemental foods although they are plant derived products in warm climate. And yes honey also is designed as A food. Honey bee Colony is in FACT large warm organism( constant regulation of temp around 36 C). And wax also is some kind of animal derived saturated fat...it is indeed saturated fat since it is produced( secreted from bees) only When the outside temperature is highest and When is nectar flow.

yerrag

In the tropics where humans evolved all of these foods would be low pufa, but I am sure you are already aware of this...
I was wondering about avocados in the tropics.
Would it be less than the 12% amount of the fats I find here: Avocados, raw, all commercial varieties Nutrition Facts & Calories ?

Anybody has an analysis done on tropical avocados? I have a young avocado tree and I'm wondering if I should chop it down. You could help save this tree by giving me a good answer. :watching:

nikolabeacon

yerrag

Don't cut the tree....biodiversity is the key for the healthy environment...:)
Don't worry. I'll replace it with a sapotas tree, the fruit of which Ray also eats. We call it "chico" in the Philippines.

Travis

The Hass avocado was bred to have a high-fat content. I can tell that the giant Florida ones have less. They are more watery; less fatty.

But the Hass can range up to 20% if I remember correctly. Twelve percents seems about right for the Florida ones, which I had assumed were unselected and natural.

But the avocado is certainly an outlier. The next fattiest fruit that I am aware of is durian, which is around 6% I think.

nikolabeacon

Nice.There must be A way to cultivate all Those fruit from the tropics in higher latitudes. I was thjnking about making a large geodesic dome in the future as A greenhouse. I think it could be possiblle.... just to gather enough information about their needs for minerals and temperature variations.

Travis

Just checked. The Florida ones are ten percent fat by mass. I am a subscriber to the Journal Avocado Aficionado (kidding about that, but they really are ten percent fat).

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals