Please help me cope with my omega-3 consumption!

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
I've been buying hake roe in cans for a while and usually split one or two cans between myself and my wife and kid once or twice a week. Sometimes more. Also the occasional cod liver in a can that comes in its own oil.

So how bad do you think this is? Here I was thinking I'm so smart and eating so well and providing well for my family...

My coping strategy is there is 12g per 100g of fats, of which about 2.5g is saturated. The fish eggs come with olive oil, which has vitamin E, so they are protected. This also means that the fat content listed is not all PUFAs. There is 20g of protein per 100, so we're actually getting more protein and nutrients than just omega-3s. Our omega-6 intake is pretty low, almost no nuts, seeds, grains, seed oils, etc.

I was giving this stuff and the cod liver to my wife while she was pregnant too. Am I a bad father and husband?

I have a bunch of cans of this stuff still... Have cut down on how often we eat them and now we take vitamin E with it.

I know a lot of you would just not eat the rest of the cans, but can any one give me a devil's advocate stance here?

ursidae

fish roe never really harmed me
cod liver was an awful experience though, that stuff made me feel poisoned for months. Never felt such an acute effect from food- good or bad

Last edited:
OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
fish roe never really harmed me
cod liver oil was an awful experience though, that stuff made me feel poisoned for months. Never felt such an acute effect from food- good or bad
I suppose cod liver is more of a whole food as opposed to just the oil.. Copium is telling me me that..

ursidae

oh sorry I meant to say cod liver. I never tried the oil. Some people eat cans of it and rave about how good they feel so I suppose it depends on the individual's metabolic state

HeyThere

I've been buying hake roe in cans for a while and usually split one or two cans between myself and my wife and kid once or twice a week. Sometimes more. Also the occasional cod liver in a can that comes in its own oil.

So how bad do you think this is? Here I was thinking I'm so smart and eating so well and providing well for my family...

My coping strategy is there is 12g per 100g of fats, of which about 2.5g is saturated. The fish eggs come with olive oil, which has vitamin E, so they are protected. This also means that the fat content listed is not all PUFAs. There is 20g of protein per 100, so we're actually getting more protein and nutrients than just omega-3s. Our omega-6 intake is pretty low, almost no nuts, seeds, grains, seed oils, etc.

I was giving this stuff and the cod liver to my wife while she was pregnant too. Am I a bad father and husband?

I have a bunch of cans of this stuff still... Have cut down on how often we eat them and now we take vitamin E with it.

I know a lot of you would just not eat the rest of the cans, but can any one give me a devil's advocate stance here?

Do you feel worse from it all? Better? Listen to your body.

All my life my docs wanted me on BP meds. Last year I finally started taking children's dose Omega-3 in strawberry flavor. My BP shot down in days and even more in weeks and stayed down. I haven't even had a gel cap in easily 6 months. Thinking of going back on for a while since life is stressful as ever. Everyone's body is different.

animalcule

oh sorry I meant to say cod liver. I never tried the oil. Some people eat cans of it and rave about how good they feel so I suppose it depends on the individual's metabolic state
In my experience/opinion, quality of cod liver products can very widely. Prone to spoiling/oxidation.

I take Rosita Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil capsules - from my research, one of the highest quality on market. Third party tested. Encapsulated in fish collagen. When I was basically going insane from food intolerances, malnutrition, mold exposure, taking this cod liver oil gave me an almost immediate sense of well-being. Took it in the evening, woke up feeling marginally but noticeably less insane. Reactivity abated a bit.

Many people on forum, and Peat himself, are anti omega 3s, but if you feel good eating fish roe, I think that could be a sign you shouldn’t worry too much about it. Roe is highly nutritious, omega 3 aside. Uploaded nutritional profile is for one ounce of raw fish roe (“mixed species”).

Trusting your instincts re: food consumption (at least when it’s an unadultered product and not an industrial food franken creation) is underrated. Peat himself did not encourage dogmatic rule following wrt diet.

Attachments

• 9762077D-9DC4-4F4D-86F9-01F7077BE970.png
    9762077D-9DC4-4F4D-86F9-01F7077BE970.png
    55 KB · Views: 22

Dapose

Forum Supporter

You and your family will be fine. Get over it. All you can do is start from today perceive think act. Don’t overthink it.
We’ve all made dumb mistakes here. We are constantly lied to marketed to deceived tricked confused mislead…
Just keep digging learning thinking and observing what you and your family feels is best for you.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
You and your family will be fine. Get over it. All you can do is start from today perceive think act. Don’t overthink it.
We’ve all made dumb mistakes here. We are constantly lied to marketed to deceived tricked confused mislead…
Just keep digging learning thinking and observing what you and your family feels is best for you.
So you mean I should Perceive, Think, Don't Overthink, Act? :)

liam183

Personally, I can down some cod liver. I love fatty fish. I don't take CLO, but I see no issues if you're getting it from food sources. Just make sure you have enough vitamin E in your diet and vitamin K to balance the high D intake.

frannybananny

Do you feel worse from it all? Better? Listen to your body.

All my life my docs wanted me on BP meds. Last year I finally started taking children's dose Omega-3 in strawberry flavor. My BP shot down in days and even more in weeks and stayed down. I haven't even had a gel cap in easily 6 months. Thinking of going back on for a while since life is stressful as ever. Everyone's body is different.
Wow, that's fantastic for you! Lately I have been taking Olive Leaf Extract for some bacterial problems and it seems to be dropping my BP as well.

HeyThere

Wow, that's fantastic for you! Lately I have been taking Olive Leaf Extract for some bacterial problems and it seems to be dropping my BP as well.

Right?? I went to urgent care recently for the stupid gut virus going around here and my BP, for the first time ever, was normal. I haaaaaate the doctor, so if it will be high it's there, and with that BP machine squeezing the living h*ll outta my poor arm lol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals