Can Someone Explain The Case Against Vegetables Here?

AnonE

I've seen this sentiment come up multiple times on the forum, and I think there were even some RP quotes that weren't exactly in favor of vegetables in the diets (vs. fruits).

I want to understand the arguments against vegetables better, or maybe just the nuances to watch out for when consuming them in the diet.

Because in my experience,

- They are satiating and nutrient dense, providing many vitamins and minerals in a low calorie format (as well as liquid)
- When I have experimented with removing them from the diet, I have always been worse off mentally and at a higher weight and body fat percentage
- When not having adequate vegetables I find it hard to balance nutrients otherwise with any type of diet (tracked using e.g. cronometer) and it's unclear to me how well supplements have filled the gap

So what's up with vegetables? Are there particular ones to avoid for good reason? Are there go-to veges that are universally good?

TeaRex14

First you need to define "vegetable". Savory fruits like cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, squash, etc. are actually okay to eat. The only thing to watch out for is savory fruits also happen to be low calorie fruits, and low caloric intake can be a problem from a Peaty perspective. Vegetables, as in leaves and stems can have a high amount of toxins in them. Some of them even are particularly toxic to the thyroid itself, like cruciferous vegetables. Eating a few servings of well cooked leafy greens every week is fine though, the mineral and vitamin content usually outweighs the risk. Personally, I'm also a celery eater. Celery is a potent anti-aromatase food.

tankasnowgod

I think it's mostly context. Carrots, cucumbers, and mushrooms all can commonly be thought of as "vegetables," and Peat has spoken favorably about carrots and mushrooms, and cucumbers are actually a fruit. He's also spoken positively about "well cooked leafy greens," but mainly for use more as supplemental type food. Also, for vegetables, it's always "well cooked." If you have serious thyroid issues, you may wish to avoid the cruciferous vegetables, and certainly, don't think about juicing them!

I think Peat's main point in the vegetable article is that they should not be thought of as the bulk of your diet, but that's what's largely been pushed for a few decades now. I think Kate Deering had a quote along the lines of "I still eat salads, but not 2 to 3 day, more like 2 or 3 a month now."

I will say, I am experimenting with a starch free diet, and vegetables are a nice dinner side in place of the rice or potato I used to go for.

tara

fradon

I've seen this sentiment come up multiple times on the forum, and I think there were even some RP quotes that weren't exactly in favor of vegetables in the diets (vs. fruits).

I want to understand the arguments against vegetables better, or maybe just the nuances to watch out for when consuming them in the diet.

Because in my experience,

- They are satiating and nutrient dense, providing many vitamins and minerals in a low calorie format (as well as liquid)
- When I have experimented with removing them from the diet, I have always been worse off mentally and at a higher weight and body fat percentage
- When not having adequate vegetables I find it hard to balance nutrients otherwise with any type of diet (tracked using e.g. cronometer) and it's unclear to me how well supplements have filled the gap

So what's up with vegetables? Are there particular ones to avoid for good reason? Are there go-to veges that are universally good?

eat the ones you crave and the ones that make you feel good. vegetables are good mineral sources. cooking them makes them more bioavaialbe and reduces anti nutrients. avoid raw when possible unless they are fruit like tomatoes/peppers.

i was on REDDIT where they were discussing the nootropic effects of eating certain greens of the cabbage family. so for some people vegetables can make them high.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals