So I'm Currently In South East Asia

invictus

Zach,

Your diet is the diet for me! For the most part, dairy gives me gastro distress and bloody mucous when I blow my nose. OJ is high in histamine and though I love it, it doesn't love me, lol. Not even sure if all the sugar I consume is good for me. Nor do I feel all that good from high protein. High protein, for me, equals elevated histamine.

Asian and Indian food are great. I don't like heat, but garlic and ginger and a simple sauce with coconut milk and garam masala, along with some brown sugar...delish. Rice, vegetables, some soy sauce, rice vinegar and the aforementioned garlic and ginger make a tasty dish. Garlic broccoli is my fave from the take out Chinese restaurant.

I've been dealing with high histamine since I was a child and at 66, I'm freakin' tired. I used to eat the way you and Strongbad eat, then gave it up to return to fish, chicken and some meat. High carb, low protein, sans dairy, works for me. Our bodies know what's good for us if we listen to them.

yerrag

Strongbad, as one who lives in a part of Southeast Asia, the Philippines, I'm glad you posted your observations. I don't believe you are from the Philippines, and if so, your observations are not that of Manila, but of a province that is less developed. Being less developed is a blessing in that the propaganda machine of the medical establishment has not penetrated the consciousness of the town folk, such that they continue living life by traditional ways.

The more educated and rich a person is, the more he is a product of isms that permeate the higher echelon of society. These isms take the air of authority, as they are sprouted by MDs and PhDs, and in this part of the world, such decorative nameplates confer on holders god-like stature. And when you are a successful executive or a businessman, you work like a slave tending to your profession or business with blinders on, such that you know nothing about taking care of your health, and you are told to "delegate" your health concerns to an "expert." You have no time to discover Ray Peat, and when you do, you laugh him and his followers off as crazy people. And if you're not so rich and successful, well, you follow what the rich and successful say and do.

The lucky ones are those who are shielded from propaganda, and the ones who have time and take effort to learn alternative approaches to taking care of oneself, going to great lengths to understand ideas such as those of Ray Peat's.

My mom's younger brother died recently of cancer. He was a very successful businessman, and was a tycoon. He died close to a ripe old age of 90, but he could have lived longer. His cancer started from his prostrate, and I believed he could have lived longer if he learned of Ray Peat's ideas, especially on the role of estrogen excess in prostrate cancer. He was a visionary, and he probably knew how to pick good people and delegate. But he also delegated his health to a doctor. And that was the one act of delegation one should not do. He died with a thick lock of white hair. I dare not talk to him about Ray Peat, as I was sure I would be subject to ridicule. It is hard when one is so successful that one can become deaf. It's even more difficult when one is literally deaf as well. I owe a lot to him, and it's sad that I consider him a tragic hero.

Since coming back from the US , I've gradually seen our healthcare system take a step backward by the rapid adoption of "advances" in healthcare patterned after the US model - yes the one that required an Obamacare redux in a vain attempt to fix it. But Filipinos generally are copycats, and many still hanker to be adopted as another state of the US. In conversations, I refrain from discussing Ray Peat's ideas except with those who know me well.

My mom is like the uncles and aunts you speak of. They have a simple mind. They don't take to new ideas readily. In another world, that would have been their undoing. And that is why they are in their nineties, and walking, with a full lock of hair, and can eat anything, and take no prescription drugs. They refused to be brainwashed.

Those who are nuts about taking care of their health, and accept mainstream media and medicine as their guide, only end up being worse off. They are the ones in need of healthcare insurance, and are so happy for the "free" yearly checkups such as mammograms. If only they knew.

Last edited:

yerrag

And nearing ninety!

Parsifal

Zach,

Your diet is the diet for me! For the most part, dairy gives me gastro distress and bloody mucous when I blow my nose. OJ is high in histamine and though I love it, it doesn't love me, lol. Not even sure if all the sugar I consume is good for me. Nor do I feel all that good from high protein. High protein, for me, equals elevated histamine.

Asian and Indian food are great. I don't like heat, but garlic and ginger and a simple sauce with coconut milk and garam masala, along with some brown sugar...delish. Rice, vegetables, some soy sauce, rice vinegar and the aforementioned garlic and ginger make a tasty dish. Garlic broccoli is my fave from the take out Chinese restaurant.

I've been dealing with high histamine since I was a child and at 66, I'm freakin' tired. I used to eat the way you and Strongbad eat, then gave it up to return to fish, chicken and some meat. High carb, low protein, sans dairy, works for me. Our bodies know what's good for us if we listen to them.
Probably overgrowth of bacteria producting histamines and/or bad gut not producing enough DAO? Anyway I'm in the same train as you and can't eat much food because of histamines.

kyle

3) They consume WAY LESS calories than what Cronometer suggests, maybe around 1800s to 2000 calories range

Smaller Asian bodies, a warm climate and, at least as far as I can tell, a more laid back lifestyle would probably account for this.

Xemnoraq

The only explaination i can think of in regard to this is its safe to say hypothyroidism manifests itself in many different ways and those pathways i think depend on their parents stress and their environment growing up,

Some hypothyroid people filled with PUFA that are falling apart will never go bald while others will, but then again some that have hypothyroidism and are balding may never get certain types of cancer (not saying they couldnt just speaking theoretically) and i think if im not mistaken Ray has mentioned things similar to that,

When alot of people ask him questions about things usually he responds with something like “i think its another symptom of low thyroid, and low thyroid can manifest itself in many ways”

Similar to how one low thyroid person can be anorexic and the other could be obese but both are caused by low thyroid function,

I think baldness is a specific weakness in that organ, being the skin etc.

Still itd be REALLY nice to figure out why some people are PUFA’d up but never go bald,

And i think its really the scalp inflammation and scalp itch, the activation of mast cells and histamine that causes the actual hair loss,

I think the lack of blood flow and low CO2 play a part but i really think its the actual inflammatory itch that causes the hair loss itself considering my hair has only ever fell out when it was itchy, i think we could classify baldness in the same field as autoimmune, and its well known that not everyone gets the same autoimmune condition, but its safe to say its still alot of the same factors driving autoimmune conditions,

PUFA/endotoxin/iron and metals/leaky gut/estrogen/progesterone deficiency

Just my thoughts

Clyde

... to visit long distance relatives that I haven't seen in over a decade. Few interesting bits I've noticed after staying over for a little over a week:

1) My great granpa was 101 before he passed away. My great grandma is a little over 100 and is in great health. Based on local stories, It's pretty common to have elderlies who lived on 90s to 100s here. I have plenty of relatives in late 80s and 90s in good health.
2) Turns out my older cousins, uncles and even 85 years old relatives have a lot more hair than I do. Only I and some of my younger cousins experience hairloss or male pattern baldness (MPB).
3) There're discrepancies between diets of older generations and younger generations. Older crowds are more apprehensive to western diets and would rather stick to traditional cuisines. Younger crowds, especially the financially well-off ones, can afford western food and consuming a large portion of it on their daily diet regimen.
4) Obesity, cancers and general sickness are more prevalent on younger crowds, especially the rich ones. MPB is also more prevalent to these group of people.
5) I also notice some skinny MPB sufferers, but also a lot of super skinny old men with lush, full hair. In their 60s or 70s.

Since I'm interested to fixing MPB and having healthy, long live span I'm going to focus more on the older crowds and their daily diet / regiment.

These are some of the things they do that I, as a Peatarian, find odd / contradictory to Peatarian community dogmas:
1) None of them take thyroid supplement. NONE. They don't even know what thyroid is and that there's a supplement for it.
2) None of them take supplements to support their diet. They make fun of me whenever I see me taking supplements of vitamin E,Bs,K2 and Taurine. They think I look like a sick man and should go to hospital. My grandma said "Just eat good food and you need none of those pills!"
3) They consume WAY LESS calories than what Cronometer suggests, maybe around 1800s to 2000 calories range. Some even consume less. Maybe since they're older with lower metabolism they don't need that much calories, but still... This make me rethink considerably on Cronometer and its calories requirement. Maybe that 3000 minimum calories is only an arbitrary number? I don't even recall Ray Peat mentioning a specific minimum calorie requirement to have adequate metabolism. He only mention the dangers of caloric deficit.
4) They look and act 10-20 years younger than their age. Slim, energetic, relatively little wrinkles. They don't look that much older from the last time I saw them 10+ years ago.

These are their type of diet/food:
1) White rice with lots of vegetables with some local spices and some meat, but not much. White rice and vegetables take the center stage.
2) It's pretty much high carb, medium protein and low fat composition.
3) For boiled vegetables, they also drink the broth, too. Peatarians debate on various topics on this, but for south east Asians, it's customary to drink the broth if the vegetables are boiled.
4) They consume fruits, too since they're abundant and cheap here but in nowhere as much as Peatarians or fruitians do. Fruits is like occasional snacks to them. The main dishes are white rice and vegetables.
5) They don't drink milk that much. Very rare, actually. They don't even know what Greek Yogurt is and never consumed it.
6) Unfortunately, they don't shy away from legumes/nuts and pufa oils when cooking fried food. But in general, they don't consume much of it.
7) They prefer tea over coffee. I know that tea is anti-thyroid, but based on what I've seen so far, they consume some tea at least once a day and it doesn't seem to make them hypothyroid. Heck, they have more hair than I do!
8) Lots of sunshine and vitamin D. Dooh.

About male pattern baldness, it seems that caloric restriction is not an issue for MPBs but rather than whether a person has consume adequate micro nutrients in his/her daily diet. I've seen a fair share of skinny bald people here (although very little compared to US counterparts) but also a lot of old, super skinny men with thick lush hair on all ages. Almost all obese people here suffer MPB on some degree.

Now that I think about it, Hideo Kojima, the Metal Gear Solid producer, is 52 years old but looks like a late 20s. He has full thick black hair with very little, if any, strands of grey hair. Not to mention he's very skinny. I don't think he follows Cronometer's calorie requirement :D
Thick heads of hair and longevity from being Asian and eating mostly white rice and vegetables. Low fat/low protein/low calorie. I love posts like these because they provide a different perspective but I wonder if this diet works for non-Asians.

Last edited:

ursidae

Yet their women would cut off an arm and a leg to date a tall light haired western european. IGF-1 is a double edged sword

Clyde

Yet their women would cut off an arm and a leg to date a tall light haired western european. IGF-1 is a double edged sword
Why not switch to an Asian style diet in your 20s after you're done growing?

ursidae

Why not switch to an Asian style diet in your 20s after you're done growing?
sounds like good idea, but obviously higher calories if you have a large western body. As for females, Asian style is the optimal diet at any stage of development. Nowadays though, zoomer males are balding as early as age 19, while they're still developing (men's facial bones keep growing well into their mid/late 20s), and in that case they'll have to make the choice between having a robust face or being bald

Clyde

sounds like good idea, but obviously higher calories if you have a large western body. As for females, Asian style is the optimal diet at any stage of development. Nowadays though, zoomer males are balding as early as age 19, while they're still developing (men's facial bones keep growing well into their mid/late 20s), and in that case they'll have to make the choice between having a robust face or being bald
The thick head of hair is money in the bank while hoping my future more robust face is an upgrade is pure gambling. But I'd probably decide it was important to have a robust face so I could keep eating the food I like tbh. Maybe I'd use Rogaine and see how things hold up but abandon ship and live on rice if my hair was coming out in chunks.

We know Asians can be really healthy and age well on this diet but I don't have any evidence non-Asians should spend their lives eating this way. It's kind of a gamble long term.

Last edited: