Can DMSO Introduce Bacteria/Fungi Into The Bloodstream?

SOMO

For that matter, what about dust or mites (Demodex) or anything that might be on the surface of the skin?

I understand that particle size matters, but doesn't DMSO damage the skin slightly to achieve it's effect? In damaging the skin, can it introduce foreign material (besides the enhanced penetration of the desired chemical). ?

Just as an aside, I've used pure DMSO and with the exception of skin irritation, I never felt ill from it.

IIRC it will only bring in things through the skin which are soluble and < 1000 daltons. Doing a quick check, the average bacteria is 1 picogram , 1000 daltons is roughly .0000000017 picograms. I doubt there is a risk or you would read about horses dropping dead after being slathered up in the germ filled stables.

lvysaur

IIRC it will only bring in things through the skin which are soluble and < 1000 daltons. Doing a quick check, the average bacteria is 1 picogram , 1000 daltons is roughly .0000000017 picograms.

The bacteria may not be able to pass through, but what about other stuff, like metabolic byproducts/toxins?

These are much smaller than bacteria, and ostensibly the inside of your body is absolutely sterile other than the digestive tract.

The bacteria may not be able to pass through, but what about other stuff, like metabolic byproducts/toxins?

These are much smaller than bacteria, and ostensibly the inside of your body is absolutely sterile other than the digestive tract.

I guess that is where good hygiene comes in.

lvysaur

I guess that is where good hygiene comes in.
hygiene only goes so far.
When something is ingested, bacteria must survive stomach acid, and even if they survive they can only exert their influence somewhat indirectly on the intestinal wall.

DMSO brings external things directly into the muscle, skin, etc.

hygiene only goes so far.
When something is ingested, bacteria must survive stomach acid, and even if they survive they can only exert their influence somewhat indirectly on the intestinal wall.

DMSO brings external things directly into the muscle, skin, etc.

I think there is greater risk here for toxins to freely enter the bloodstream simply via eye, ear, nose, mouth, throat, or lung permeability - compared to applying dmso after having sterilized with some rubbing alcohol. Not to argue that your point is invalid, I just see far greater risks within this concept of being poisoned by the environment etc.

Kids fall off their bikes and get open wounds across a myriad of toxic items on the asphalt, somehow they survive. They would be wise not to ride their bikes near a chemical plant or dump though ;-)

Last edited:

dannibo

I think there is greater risk here for toxins to freely enter the bloodstream simply via eye, ear, nose, mouth, throat, or lung permeability - compared to applying dmso after having sterilized with some rubbing alcohol. Not to argue that your point is invalid, I just see far greater risks within this concept of being poisoned by the environment etc.

Kids fall off their bikes and get open wounds across a myriad of toxic items on the asphalt, somehow they survive. They would be wise not to ride their bikes near a chemical plant or dump though ;-)
I always wash the area with CLO2 before using to make sure there's nothing on the skin and if it bring the Clo2 through then that's therapeutic.

Gungajin

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Unless you're dissolving actual bactery cultures en masse, or/and extremely dangerous strains of bacteries, the amount of possible toxins that could possibly enter your body this way must be negligible.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals