Calcium Requirement Or Ca-P Ratio?

dukez07

Is it the calcium/phosphate ratio that is of more importance to your requirements for calcium, or, is it that you need thousands of milligrams per day, regardless?

J

j.

On practically any diet you get a lot of phosphorus, so if you're going to keep a high Ca/P ratio, there's no way to do that without a lot of calcium.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

dukez07

j. said:
On practically any diet you get a lot of phosphorus, so if you're going to keep a high Ca/P ratio, there's no way to do that without a lot of calcium.

So higher phosphorus raises the inflammatory marker (can't remember what it's called?) that goes looking for the calcium that is stored in your bones? If my daily intake of calcium was 500mg, but the phosphorus was 280mg, that means I'm getting enough calcium? How much is enough?

kiran

Well, the RDA of calcium is about 1g, so you want to get at least that. If you have elevated PTH, you want enough calcium to keep the parathyroid quiet.

jyb

dukez07 said:
If my daily intake of calcium was 500mg

Seems very low... It's easy to get calcium from eggshell if you don't do dairy, though.

Giraffe

I don't want to hijack the other thread...

regarding the calcium and phosphorous...I find my phos. often a few hundred mg higher than calcium even eating peatish...does Ca absolutely have to be higher every time? My ratio over the week ends up about 1 to1.

RP: Probably the long-range optimum is something like that in milk, somewhere between a ratio of 1:1 up to maybe even 2:1 in favor of calcium to phosphorus.
RP: And if your fructose intake is high, then you don't have to worry too much about the exact ratio of calcium to phosphorus, but the ratio in milk 1.3:1 is very close to a very safe ratio. But you can easily get by with two or three times as much phosphate as calcium, especially if your sugar intake is good. And then if you're getting plenty of salt and calcium, you don't have to worry much about the other two calcium and minerals.
Not only sugar helps to handle the calcium, and balance calcium and phosphorus in the body, Ray Peat has also mentioned niacinamide, vitamin A, D and K.

I assume that adequate protein and magnesium belong in that list, too, since they have impact on PTH.

I think that increasing CO2 helps with calcium-phosphorus ratio, sodium bicarbonate and acetazolamide have been used to treat hyperphosphatemia.

B

Braveheart

I don't want to hijack the other thread...
Giraffe, thank you for that reply. You answered a few questions that had been plaguing me for some time...thanks!

Not only sugar helps to handle the calcium, and balance calcium and phosphorus in the body, Ray Peat has also mentioned niacinamide, vitamin A, D and K.

I assume that adequate protein and magnesium belong in that list, too, since they have impact on PTH.

I think that increasing CO2 helps with calcium-phosphorus ratio, sodium bicarbonate and acetazolamide have been used to treat hyperphosphatemia.

Giraffe, thank you for that reply. You answered a few questions that had been plaguing me for some time...thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals