Calcium Requirement Or Ca-P Ratio?

Discussion in 'Minerals' started by dukez07, May 23, 2014.

1. dukez07

dukez07 Member

Is it the calcium/phosphate ratio that is of more importance to your requirements for calcium, or, is it that you need thousands of milligrams per day, regardless?

2. j.

j. Guest

On practically any diet you get a lot of phosphorus, so if you're going to keep a high Ca/P ratio, there's no way to do that without a lot of calcium.

3. OP
    dukez07

dukez07 Member

So higher phosphorus raises the inflammatory marker (can't remember what it's called?) that goes looking for the calcium that is stored in your bones? If my daily intake of calcium was 500mg, but the phosphorus was 280mg, that means I'm getting enough calcium? How much is enough?

4. kiran

kiran Member

Well, the RDA of calcium is about 1g, so you want to get at least that. If you have elevated PTH, you want enough calcium to keep the parathyroid quiet.

5. jyb

jyb Member

Seems very low... It's easy to get calcium from eggshell if you don't do dairy, though.

6. Giraffe

Giraffe Member

I don't want to hijack the other thread...

Not only sugar helps to handle the calcium, and balance calcium and phosphorus in the body, Ray Peat has also mentioned niacinamide, vitamin A, D and K.

I assume that adequate protein and magnesium belong in that list, too, since they have impact on PTH.

I think that increasing CO2 helps with calcium-phosphorus ratio, sodium bicarbonate and acetazolamide have been used to treat hyperphosphatemia.

7. bzmazu

bzmazu Member

Giraffe, thank you for that reply. You answered a few questions that had been plaguing me for some time...thanks!

8. Giraffe

Giraffe Member

Glad you found it helpful. :)