Body Hair (or Lack Thereof) In Males

dfspcc20

A comment from @haidut piqued my interest.

Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth Without Toxic Signs

Is lack of body hair (chest, arms, back) in adult males indicative of anything?

My dad and 2 brothers are much hairier than I. I've always wondered about that. Other than a few chest hairs, that's all I've got (other than the usual on legs, groin and armpits).

Agent207

Yes, is a good genetic trait, lacking androgen stimulating body follicle receptors.

Dante

A comment from @haidut piqued my interest.

Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth Without Toxic Signs
Other than a few chest hairs, that's all I've got (other than the usual on legs, groin and armpits).
Same as mine. Apparently DHT promotes hair only in those specific areas where you have got (and face too) whereas it most probably kills the hairline on scalp. Other hairyness is mostly adrenal steroidal hyperactivity according to haidut

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

Lacking body hair proves inhospitable to insects (fleas).

I could be wrong, but I thought some insects evolved with us, living in clothing and bedding (i.e. bedbugs).

Same as mine. Apparently DHT promotes hair only in those specific areas where you have got (and face too) whereas it most probably kills the hairline on scalp. Other hairyness is mostly adrenal steroidal hyperactivity according to haidut

I still have pretty much the same hairline as my youth; I'm almost 35. So I'm sure there's more to the story.

mangoes

I'm inclined to agree with Haidut. I've noticed from personal observation that guys with highly stressed bodies, with a lot of weight, gynecomastia etc, tend to be very hairy. And then a lot of guys with athletic bodies and good health have much less body hair and it seems to grow as they get older and begin degenerating.

There are of course exceptions to this, some guys do just seem to be (genetically?) hairy despite good health/metabolism. And the opposite too, some guys just don't ever become hairy even if they're unhealthy.

I asked Peat once about it, he said women have less body hair because of the amount of progesterone and that hairiness is a sign of health for Caucasian males. He was "furry" since puberty and that he noticed a shedding when he moved to a warmer country. Personally, I think a stressed body hair growth may be akin to that of an animal in winter. Their body has to warm itself up and so grows a thicker coat, similarly stressed metabolisms do the same in an attempt to warm the body. I dunno though.

Dante

I could be wrong, but I thought some insects evolved with us, living in clothing and bedding (i.e. bedbugs).

I still have pretty much the same hairline as my youth; I'm almost 35. So I'm sure there's more to the story.
and facial hair ? i have seen that people with less facial hair retain more hair on the scalp ( not a general rule but a high probability observation)

schultz

Do you guys think attraction can be used as a gauge to figure out what is optimal, or is there too much cultural influence to confound such notions?

Do women prefer hairier men? What about men with back hair? Bald men?

Would a man with less body hair (in specific spots) have higher progesterone and lower estrogen, and therefore be healthier?

I like the idea of using attraction to think about these things, though admit that culture could play too much of a role and skew results.

I read once that women on the pill prefer certain traits in men and when they go off the pill they may realize they are not actually attracted to the guy they are with as much as they once were.

Birth Control Pills Affect Women's Taste in Men

From a Peat perspective, that article starts off with an inaccuracy (and possibly has more than just the one). They say the body is tricked into thinking it's pregnant, while Peat says that an egg is fertilized but that implantation cannot occur due to estrogen causing it to die due to hypoxia.

They talk about smell in the article, which is interesting because in a thread recently someone mentioned that high estrogen women are more sensitive to certain smells or something. Does anybody know who said this?

Sorry I may have gone off topic...

Queequeg

Do you guys think attraction can be used as a gauge to figure out what is optimal, or is there too much cultural influence to confound such notions?

Do women prefer hairier men? What about men with back hair? Bald men?

Would a man with less body hair (in specific spots) have higher progesterone and lower estrogen, and therefore be healthier?

I like the idea of using attraction to think about these things, though admit that culture could play too much of a role and skew results.

I read once that women on the pill prefer certain traits in men and when they go off the pill they may realize they are not actually attracted to the guy they are with as much as they once were.

Birth Control Pills Affect Women's Taste in Men

From a Peat perspective, that article starts off with an inaccuracy (and possibly has more than just the one). They say the body is tricked into thinking it's pregnant, while Peat says that an egg is fertilized but that implantation cannot occur due to estrogen causing it to die due to hypoxia.

They talk about smell in the article, which is interesting because in a thread recently someone mentioned that high estrogen women are more sensitive to certain smells or something. Does anybody know who said this?

Sorry I may have gone off topic...
Interesting points. Thinking about health through the lens of attractiveness probably works better with some things than others. I would guess that body hair or lack thereof is too influenced by Madison avenue to get a good sense of which one correlates to health based on attractiveness. Nowadays it seems that a prepubescent androgeny is really popular but I think it is starting to shift back. I bet that people getting laser hair removal will one day regret that choice.

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

and facial hair ? i have seen that people with less facial hair retain more hair on the scalp ( not a general rule but a high probability observation)

I can grow facial hair, but there are patches where it's a little sparse, so I tend not to try to grow a beard. That hasn't changed for me in the past decades.

churchmouth

I am lean, 6ft, supposedly good genetics.

Low body hair (nipples only, no chest hair or snail trail) and facial hair is limited to chin and moustache and sideburns (cant be grown full). Lots of nasal hair, ear hair etc.

High androgens (high test but high SHBG too so only moderate low free test).

Estrogen is high too.

I'm inclined to agree with Haidut. I've noticed from personal observation that guys with highly stressed bodies, with a lot of weight, gynecomastia etc, tend to be very hairy. And then a lot of guys with athletic bodies and good health have much less body hair and it seems to grow as they get older and begin degenerating.

There are of course exceptions to this, some guys do just seem to be (genetically?) hairy despite good health/metabolism. And the opposite too, some guys just don't ever become hairy even if they're unhealthy.

I asked Peat once about it, he said women have less body hair because of the amount of progesterone and that hairiness is a sign of health for Caucasian males. He was "furry" since puberty and that he noticed a shedding when he moved to a warmer country. Personally, I think a stressed body hair growth may be akin to that of an animal in winter. Their body has to warm itself up and so grows a thicker coat, similarly stressed metabolisms do the same in an attempt to warm the body. I dunno though.

Bro-science at best.

Asian males have 0 body hair almost none while Indian, Pakistani, etc. are hairy AF.

Black males also tend to have body hair and go bald.

It is DHT-related. They have studied this before and found Black males have much higher DHT than Asians.

japanesedude

Bro-science at best.

Asian males have 0 body hair almost none while Indian, Pakistani, etc. are hairy AF.

Black males also tend to have body hair and go bald.

It is DHT-related. They have studied this before and found Black males have much higher DHT than Asians.

Yes. I beleive We east asians has low DHT. Its interesting the fact that Asian american has low DHT level too.which means low DHT is not coming from our food culture.

Yes. I beleive We east asians has low DHT. Its interesting the fact that Asian american has low DHT level too.which means low DHT is not coming from our food culture.

It is genetic

Serum androgen levels in black, Hispanic, and white men. - PubMed - NCBI

"After adjustment, there was evidence of racial/ethnic differences in DHT (P = 0.047) and DHT to testosterone (P = 0.038) levels. Black men had higher DHT levels and DHT to testosterone ratios than white and Hispanic men."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals