Blending Vit E in coconut oil for better absorption/shelf life

burtlancast

Knowing coconut's saturated fatty acids protects its low PUFAS content ( 2% in coconut oil) from oxidation for 2 years or more at room temperature, and knowing Vit E is unsaturated, wouldn't it make sense to blend Vit E in coconut oil, in order to improve absorption and protect the Vit E from oxidation ?

haidut

Forum Supporter
burtlancast said:
Knowing coconut's saturated fatty acids protects its low PUFAS content ( 2% in coconut oil) from oxidation for 2 years or more at room temperature, and knowing Vit E is unsaturated, wouldn't it make sense to blend Vit E in coconut oil, in order to improve absorption and protect the Vit E from oxidation ?

I thought Ray's said that the tocopherols are saturated and only the tocotrienols are unsaturated, which he thinks explains why the tocotrienols were found to cause liver enlargement in rats?
The coconut oil mix is a food idea but I only use it for supplements that are to be used as ointment, which prevents the exact measure of dosage, since the tocopherol and coconut oil mix solidifies at room temperature and cannot be used as drops unless you heat it every time before use.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

You're right about the unsaturation; tocopherols aren't unsaturated.

I think the advantages of mixing tocopherols in coconut oil is better absorption, and better quality since they would be better preserved in coconut oil than in any other mix.

The disadvantages would be difficulties in tailoring the doasge.

I though about this option because i've bought bulk tocopherol 95% pure, non encapsulated. The 5% remaining would be soy oil, which will consume the tocopherol over time, especially if not shielded from the air, like it would be in a capsule.

tara

burtlancast said:
The disadvantages would be difficulties in tailoring the doasge.
I won't comment on whether it is a good idea or worth the trouble, but it should be possible.
If you mix it with enough coconut oil, at just melted temperature, then let it set again, you could measure doses with a small spoon, if you have a set of little spoons. I use my little spoons regularly for supplements - 1/4, 1/8, ..., 1/64 tsp.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals