The different impact between Vitamin E forms on cancer growth

cs3000

estrogen stimulated breast cancer (desirable effect from alpha, delta, gamma, or gamma mixed tocopherols)

0.2% of diet (>1g tocopherol human?) alpha slowed estrogen cancer, gamma and delta performed better.
but mixed tocopherols high in gamma performed the best (y-TmT).
1695215258249.png

estrogen stimulated breast cancer #2 (big undesirable effect from DL-a-tocopherol acetate)
Our results showed that the tumors were significantly larger (p<0.05) with 0.1 g/kg and 0.5 g/kg vitamin E supplemented compared with those from the control group

1695215212156.png

with lung tumors
(big desirable effect from Alpha tocopherol succinate)
1695215650511.png

Mechanism is the succinate form works by inhibiting ubiquinol at complex II in mitochondria.
Human cancers tend to still have complex II intact.
so with this the mitochondria builds up ROS which causes apoptosis / cell death. its different to usual vitamin E

Here, we show that the agents, epitomized by the redox-silent α-tocopheryl succinate, suppress progression of carcinomas with functional and reconstituted mitochondrial complex II (CII), whereas tumors with dysfunctional CII are resistant to the drug. Because CII rarely mutates in cancers, it is a promising target of clinical relevance for VE analogues and other, thus far, unidentified agents.

So I wondered if this would cause toxic effects on healthy cells too,
apparently not (or not as much) as the healthy cells can tolerate the extra stress better than tumor cells. so the effect is basically selective on cancer in terms of immediate effect

Here we show that α-TOS preferentially kills malignant cells while showing very limited or no toxicity towards normal cells. These findings are complemented by reports which showed no toxic effect of α-TOS on normal fibroblasts (Jha et al, 1999) or prostate cells (Israel et al, 2000), and by a finding that α-TOS was toxic towards malignant but protective for normal stem cells (Fariss et al, 1994)

In conclusion, our results strongly suggest that α-TOS, a pharmacologically relevant micronutrient without known side-effects(Bendich and Machlin, 1988), is a potent pro-apoptotic agent for avariety of malignant cells, while being non-toxic for normal cells,and warrants testing as an anticancer drug or adjuvant in experimental animal models of tumorigenesis and leukaemia. This notion is further encouraged by recent findings that α-TOS inhibited tumour growth in nude mice with colon-cancer xenografts, similarly or more potently than did other experimental or established anticancer agents (Neuzil et al, 2001; Chinery et al, 1997). Furthermore, free vitamin E or α-tocopheryl acetate, the usual pharmacological form of vitamin E, do not have pro-apoptotic activity (Quian et al, 1997; Neuzil et al, 1999). Hence, our results may have important implications for therapy and prevention of cancer

But interfering with complex II probably isn't great over the long term if just using this generally instead of with cancer. looks like a potent option there though

Skin absorption https://iubmb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/15216549900201543

Through the skin dissolving the powder in oil , ~50% was absorbed & only 6% is converted to tocopherol without the succinate.
If 58 % of the applied TS was absorbed, and 6 % was converted to free tocopherol, a net body uptake from skin application of 2.2 mg/cm 2 in a human with 18,000 cm 2 skin area would result in (2.2mg/cm2)(0.122)(0.58)(18,000 cm2)(0.06)= 168mg tocopherol/day, approximately five times the Recommended Dietary Allowance of 30mg/day.

So if going by these studies for cancer then alpha tocopherol succinate is likely optimal, followed by mixed tocopherols high in gamma, & dl-alpha tocopherol acetate form could have opposite effects. not sure about dl-alpha

[interestingly on the ray peat emails wiki ray preferred high gamma mixed vs high alpha]

[for general day to day intakes outside of cancer only a low mg amount of vit e is needed for countering pufa. https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/S000711451500272X rounding up its 1mg vit e per gram linoleic acid , so even people with high pufa intake don't need the megadoses in supplements
if you look around at foods its rare to find a food with > a couple milligrams. we wouldn't have got anywhere near 100s of milligrams generally. Vit E has a long half life and the body stores it,
But say we want to 2x historic intake when taking into account modern environment higher in toxins, usual supplements are overdosed multiple times higher than that still. these are more for use like a drug treating something, if right form is used. otherwise "smaller" intakes e.g 20mg are significant doses]

side note i wonder if the mole removal effects ray mentioned for DHEA was actually because of the vit E content (think he used dhea in vit e?). someone here posted a thread showing oral vit E caused their skin tag to drop off in like 10 days & repeated the result.

on a quick look apparently skin tags have more estrogen / androgen receptors A STUDY OF ANDROGEN AND ESTROGEN RECEPTORS α, β IN SKIN TAGS
and study #1 showed alpha tocopherol had mild anti estrogen effects compared to delta / gamma.
wonder if topical mixed high in gamma works well on moles / skin tags?

Attachments

• 1695214822208.png
    1695214822208.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1695215660644.png
    1695215660644.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
cs3000

cs3000

post updated

& grape seed procyanidins extract worth mentioning as a potent anti estrogen helpful for limiting tumors

1695224207800.png

study here gives insight to dose:
grape seed extract 500mcg & 750mcg in mice
BALB/c nu/nu female 9 weeks so ~16g weight

= ~150mg human dose and ~225mg human dose worked better
74% to 78% proanthocyanidins

* so ~200mg procaynidins for full effect.
inhibits estrogen at lower doses too (not everyone tolerates estrogen lowering substances well depends on balance)

Last edited:
@cs3000 Thank you for this valuable information. I have had some experience with topical vitamin E but only in mixed racemic form so I cannot say with certainty what the differences may be with an isolated form of the 4.

Am I wrong or does it not take the tocotrienols into account? they are also 4 so in total we would have 8 forms of vitamin E.

If we look at the studies, tocotrienols are unsaturated while tocopherols are saturated. You can verify ? returning to the question, it seems to me that vitamin E applied to genital areas does not give an androgenic effect at all as is often published here but perhaps it is just my experience based on a perception conditioned by a lot of other things.

I feel a progesterone-like effect, similar to Nofap. While if I apply it to other areas of the body I get an androgenic effect... who knows... skin and fat have so many androgenic, estrogenic, 5AR receptors etc that it is difficult to go unbalanced. In Italy extra virgin olive oil is naturally very rich in vitamin E....

OP
cs3000

cs3000

@cs3000 Thank you for this valuable information. I have had some experience with topical vitamin E but only in mixed racemic form so I cannot say with certainty what the differences may be with an isolated form of the 4.

Am I wrong or does it not take the tocotrienols into account? they are also 4 so in total we would have 8 forms of vitamin E.

If we look at the studies, tocotrienols are unsaturated while tocopherols are saturated. You can verify ? returning to the question, it seems to me that vitamin E applied to genital areas does not give an androgenic effect at all as is often published here but perhaps it is just my experience based on a perception conditioned by a lot of other things.

I feel a progesterone-like effect, similar to Nofap. While if I apply it to other areas of the body I get an androgenic effect... who knows... skin and fat have so many androgenic, estrogenic, 5AR receptors etc that it is difficult to go unbalanced. In Italy extra virgin olive oil is naturally very rich in vitamin E....
np this is in vitro but, Tocotrienols inhibit the growth of human breast cancer cells irrespective of estrogen receptor status - PubMed the gamma & delta tocotrienols worked better also.
but not through estrogen there

more tocotrienols in fat tissue of people with inactive breast cancer vs active Tocotrienol levels in adipose tissue of benign and malignant breast lumps in patients in Malaysia - PubMed

trial Tocotrienols and breast cancer: the evidence to date - Genes & Nutrition

Attachments

• 1695229244139.png
    1695229244139.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 3

Mauritio

post updated

& grape seed procyanidins extract worth mentioning as a potent anti estrogen helpful for limiting tumors

View attachment 55802
study here gives insight to dose:
grape seed extract 500mcg & 750mcg in mice
BALB/c nu/nu female 9 weeks so ~16g weight

= ~150mg human dose and ~225mg human dose worked better
74% to 78% proanthocyanidins

* so ~200mg procaynidins for full effect.
inhibits estrogen at lower doses too (not everyone tolerates estrogen lowering substances well depends on balance)
Interesting!

Mauritio

estrogen stimulated breast cancer (desirable effect from alpha, delta, gamma, or gamma mixed tocopherols)

0.2% of diet (>1g tocopherol human?) alpha slowed estrogen cancer, gamma and delta performed better.
but mixed tocopherols high in gamma performed the best (y-TmT).
View attachment 55797

estrogen stimulated breast cancer #2 (big undesirable effect from DL-a-tocopherol acetate)

View attachment 55796

with lung tumors
(big desirable effect from Alpha tocopherol succinate)
View attachment 55798

Mechanism is the succinate form works by inhibiting ubiquinol at complex II in mitochondria.
Human cancers tend to still have complex II intact.
so with this the mitochondria builds up ROS which causes apoptosis / cell death. its different to usual vitamin E

So I wondered if this would cause toxic effects on healthy cells too,
apparently not (or not as much) as the healthy cells can tolerate the extra stress better than tumor cells. so the effect is basically selective on cancer in terms of immediate effect

But interfering with complex II probably isn't great over the long term if just using this generally instead of with cancer. looks like a potent option there though

Skin absorption https://iubmb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/15216549900201543

Through the skin dissolving the powder in oil , ~50% was absorbed & only 6% is converted to tocopherol without the succinate.

So if going by these studies for cancer then alpha tocopherol succinate is likely optimal, followed by mixed tocopherols high in gamma, & dl-alpha tocopherol acetate form could have opposite effects. not sure about dl-alpha

[interestingly on the ray peat emails wiki ray preferred high gamma mixed vs high alpha]

[for general day to day intakes outside of cancer only a low mg amount of vit e is needed for countering pufa. https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/S000711451500272X rounding up its 1mg vit e per gram linoleic acid , so even people with high pufa intake don't need the megadoses in supplements
if you look around at foods its rare to find a food with > a couple milligrams. we wouldn't have got anywhere near 100s of milligrams generally. Vit E has a long half life and the body stores it,
But say we want to 2x historic intake when taking into account modern environment higher in toxins, usual supplements are overdosed multiple times higher than that still. these are more for use like a drug treating something, if right form is used. otherwise "smaller" intakes e.g 20mg are significant doses]

side note i wonder if the mole removal effects ray mentioned for DHEA was actually because of the vit E content (think he used dhea in vit e?). someone here posted a thread showing oral vit E caused their skin tag to drop off in like 10 days & repeated the result.

on a quick look apparently skin tags have more estrogen / androgen receptors A STUDY OF ANDROGEN AND ESTROGEN RECEPTORS α, β IN SKIN TAGS
and study #1 showed alpha tocopherol had mild anti estrogen effects compared to delta / gamma.
wonder if topical mixed high in gamma works well on moles / skin tags?
If it's indeed the succinate that is responsible for the anti-cancer effects then Im wondering why "...sodium succinate with an equivalent volume of ethanol, at similar concentrations, were ineffective." at treating cancer.
So it must be something unique about vitamin e and succinate in combination. And if the mechanism is that basic it should work on all kinds of cancers. Which is what the studies show: benefits in colon, liver, skin cancer ,etc... I think @haidut should do a test with VES in one of his cancer studies.

OP
cs3000

cs3000

If it's indeed the succinate that is responsible for the anti-cancer effects then Im wondering why "...sodium succinate with an equivalent volume of ethanol, at similar concentrations, were ineffective." at treating cancer.
So it must be something unique about vitamin e and succinate in combination. And if the mechanism is that basic it should work on all kinds of cancers. Which is what the studies show: benefits in colon, liver, skin cancer ,etc... I think @haidut should do a test with VES in one of his cancer studies.
yeah succinate goes into most cells well but maybe theres dysfunction with transport in cancer cells , or maybe the vit e helps carry more through to mitochondria
https://www.nature.com/articles/onc200869
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.10.430650v1.full

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals