Armour thyroid issues

Mjeffersondc

Google says 1 grain of Armour Thyroid is 60mg. That is 38 mcg of T4 and 9 mcg of T3

Dr. Ray says 1 grain of Armour Thyroid is only 30 mg. So does that mean it has 19 mcg of T4 and 4.5 mcg of T3?

That adds up to .047mcg. Also, what else is in these pills to make up the rest of the 60 mg?

One more question, Cytomel T3 has 20mcg of T3. Which one should I use?

mostlylurking

Dr. Ray says 1 grain of Armour Thyroid is only 30 mg.
If Ray actually said that, I think he misspoke. He knew that a grain of desiccated thyroid is 60mgs. Desiccated thyroid has been prescribed and sold in "grains" (=60mg) for a very very long time.

OP
M

Mjeffersondc

If Ray actually said that, I think he misspoke. He knew that a grain of desiccated thyroid is 60mgs. Desiccated thyroid has been prescribed and sold in "grains" (=60mg) for a very very long time.

Thank you. We have been monitoring her temp orally, 1 hour after breakfast. Dr. Ray says it should be around 98.6 F. Elvin Robinson was saying that if the temp is 98.2 F, we should back off the thyroid supplements. He was referencing a thyroid book that Dr. Ray was talking about . What do you think ?

mostlylurking

Thank you. We have been monitoring her temp orally, 1 hour after breakfast. Dr. Ray says it should be around 98.6 F. Elvin Robinson was saying that if the temp is 98.2 F, we should back off the thyroid supplements. He was referencing a thyroid book that Dr. Ray was talking about . What do you think ?
If you are hyperthyroid (take too much thyroid supplement) your temperature should be hotter, not colder. However, I learned from personal experience that a thiamine deficiency will also cause your temperature to be below normal. And hyperthyroidism can block thiamine function. So, in a crazy round about way, I suppose Elvin Robinson's idea could have some validity. But it requires overthinking the thing quite a bit.

To make a confusing concept even more so, Ray Peat also said that if your temperature does not rise to normal after eating it may mean you ate the wrong thing.

Or, your thyroid supplement may not be as good as it's cracked up to be.... I stopped taking Armour Thyroid in 2015 because it stopped working for me. Ray Peat said that the Armour Thyroid company changed owners spring of 2014 and the new owners changed the product's formula; he said they took the calcitonin out of it so they could sell it as a separate product and doing that ruined the original product. I have no idea if that is still going on or if the new owners came to their senses, overcame their greed, and corrected the problem.

Ray Peat liked to mention Broda Barnes's book on hypothyroidism. It's a helpful read.

Here's an article by Danny Roddy about temperature and pulse:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals