What If You Need More T3 Than 4mcg Per Hour?

OP
I

ilovethesea

sueq said:
How frustrating. I've faced a similar dilemma but fortunately the doctor caved in response to my nagging. I have different challenges when it comes to online ordering, a big one being it would probably not get through customs. Find a more sympathetic doctor?

Are you in South Africa Sue? I think it's the same here in Canada, if you order from any online pharmacy it isn't "allowed". The first time my package from Mexico slipped through, but then next orders got confiscated and I got a warning letter from the govt.

The only way I got Erfa (Canadian NDT) before was from nagging my doctor, but she would only agree to do it temporarily, pending constant blood tests. We have a doctor shortage here so it's next to impossible to find one who is taking new patients. I actually have one of the "good ones" lol.

I tried a few NDs before, as some can get you source of thyroid, but I then I realized they didn't fully get it, and I was paying $100+/hr to listen to advice about adrenal support, fish oil, juicing, vegan diet, estrogen supps, blah blah blah :roll:

Other option is bioidentical hormone MDs but here they cost $800 for initial visit and full workup of tests. Then they force you to go on their expensive compounded thyroid hormone. I tried it once and it did nothing at all. Not sure what the point is when Erfa is cheap here and so much stronger!

I kind of had bad experiences with doctors all my life, so I guess I gave up on ever finding one who can actually help me! I get really nervous now when I have to see any medical person, I'm just used to arrogance, condescension, intimidation, bleak predictions of my future, etc....... yuck!

/rant over

Ben

I don't notice anything from 5 mcg of T3. But when I take more, like 25 mcg at once, I feel heated in a room with a temperature that others are fine with. I don't understand why it's so ineffective for me, but I'm also wondering why any more is bad according to RP. Apparently though, high doses of T3 reduce my immunity because of cortisol. I tried that only twice, and each time I caught a viral illness. So perhaps the regulatory process RP referred to were cortisol and adrenalin.

Ben

Also forgot to add, obviously not all T3 gets absorbed into the bloodstream. The body may produce 4 mcg per hour, but that doesn't mean taking 4 mcg will give a person the same amount in their bloodstream.

juanitacarlos

I'll throw my :2cents in. I take my dose in one go in the morning. 7 grains currently. I've had a total thyroidectomy so on full hormone replacement. I tried splitting up my does into morning and afternoon, and that was ok. But I definitely do better in one dose. I tried doing it Peat-style - nibbling throughout the day - total disaster. Very hypo. I know Dr John Lowe insisted his patients take a single dose for best results. You can still access his site through Internet Archive- he briefly disccuses dosing here:https://web.archive.org/web/20111009222306/http://drlowe.com/QandA/askdrlowe/armourthyroid.htm. I wish I could afford his books :(

SQu

That's so strange as I find the opposite. I recently consolidated doses but came to the conclusion it's worsening sleep and not settling. So back to many small doses which I hate because it's easy to miss a dose when you get busy.
Ilovethesea yes that's where I am and lately they're clamping down on everything a person needs to get well as opposed to contribute monthly to the profits of the pharmaceutical companies. Taking progesterone off the shelves means for most it effectively vanishes. It's my biggest gripe. My doc is not up to much but I'm grateful to finally have got t3 out of him. He didn't know a brand name which means in probably 20+ busy years he's never prescribed it before. :shock: which is why I mentioned trying another doctor as he at least finally listened.

DaveFoster

I tried a few NDs before, as some can get you source of thyroid, but I then I realized they didn't fully get it, and I was paying $100+/hr to listen to advice about adrenal support, fish oil, juicing, vegan diet, estrogen supps, blah blah blah :roll:
You gotta support your adrenals! Adrenal fatigue is the new HIV!

Stryker

Hmm have you tried taking 200 mg magnesium with the Cytomel? That would be an interesting experiment. Worked like a charm for me when Cytomel wasn't giving me a good response.

Also, have you tried progesterone with the Cytomel?

I don't take t4 because I didn't have a great experience. But if I do in the future I will be very cautious. I take pregnenolone and magnesium wth Cytomel and this trio seems to work pretty well.

i also notice this , i use magnesium lysinate glycinate chelate

goodandevil

Yeah OP if you're missing half of your thyrood gland i don't know if the t3 supression rule ray speaks of necessarily applies.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals