Anybody know the book on vision Peat recommended

Peachy

On a serious note - after doing the Bates method swinging thingy, and not wearing my glasses, I feel like my eyesight is already improving! I sometimes get clear flashes where things come into focus... but then I lose it immediately. If I can sit at my computer and read things without glasses I would be super happy.
I’ll have to look into this!!

Phosphor

I'll have to read the book, but my input is that there must be something to it. During the recent two years of not really going anywhere and just staying home, I wore my computer glasses pretty much nonstop. My Rx has obviously changed to needed less strong glasses. I even drive now with my "computer lenses" and they feel too strong using the computer. I read, somewhere, (2020 is not enough?) that the reason a lot of people (not all) get near-sighted is because they are spending their young lives focusing on up-close things, and their eyes adjust. Then the "correction" is actually backwards, reverting them to a long-distance focus. which they continue to use for up-close work, which causes the eyes to adjust again. over and over and over again, and you end up with people who have been given the wrong correction to start with that continually made them worse instead of correcting the problem, which would have been a combination of the opposite kind of lens and doing a lot of horizon-looking during the days. As is typical with our "health care system," everything is done backwards and to detriment, it seems.

Korven

“Restricting the perception/awareness of reality” can be a positive. Bad joke! ?

I’ve only worn them for a year or so, for reading and computer work. It’s amazing how it starts to go downhill quickly once it starts!

I don’t think I’d like it if I always had to wear them.

Ah I get it!

...Maybe I need to practice the Bathes method more and increase my awareness so jokes stop flying over my head :lol:

Yea it is a steady decline once you start wearing them. My prescription started at -1.25 something to now -3.75. You could say I am blind as a bat. But I am also really stubborn and will continue to practice seeing without my glasses.

I’ll have to look into this!!

Definitely do! I don't pretend to know much about it but so far I really like it because it feels like more holistic than just "eye exercises".

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Interesting puzzle - I am looking at Ray Peat 'Mind & Tissue' to see what opens up.

CHAPTER 9 A VISUAL SCANNING SYSTEM AND INTENTIONALITY

In the time since 1956, when I started exploring visions and my visual apparatus, I have found that people with philosophical or scientific "training" are often very
intent on telling others what they "can't" see, or mean, or experience. As a result, I have been concerned with the real experiential differences that underlie differences of world-view, values, and attitudes. I think it's proper to refer to these as physiological differences, since the body is obviously doing profoundly different things when it creates new knowledge, and when it enforces old knowledge against the new, etc.

Part of Maslow's definition of the self-actualizing person was the ability to perceive truthfully. Reich called truth "a natural function," "an integral part of the organism," and "a function most akin to growth." The form of the act of perception will vary in a systematic way with the form of the perceived world, reinforcing or expanding the particular world-view.

Surrealists are, among other things, people who can sense their own nerves, and so are better phenomenologists than Husserl, who thought bracketing or purifying experience yielded essences, Platonic forms on which to build a firmer science.

Visual "streaming," which varies in coarseness with different conditions, is something anyone can see and explore, but even intelligent people can dismiss it as "only
subjective" or "only blood corpuscles." The fine-grain activity that constitutes ordinary vision is over-looked by nearly everyone: Attending to the object, instead of their perception of it, they may experience the limit of visual acuity, but only rarely do they see their visual acuity, as responsive points.

Staring at a radial (or other repetitive) design will set up intense movements in the "retinal dots” that persist for several seconds on a blank surface, or with the eyes
closed— this is a way to learn to attend to the dots. (Or by attending to the closed right eye, while holding the design in front of the open left eye.)

Since the dots are so much smaller than the fovea, the normal area of "concentrated attention" (whose exact form can be seen by "swinging" the eyes freely in the dark, with a light source illuminating the interior of the eye), it at first seems absurd to try to catch a single point with the attention. Making the effort, though, you discover that this fine but intense effort will make a point "explode" in a blue flash, or extend itself into a "fluorescent" needle or sheet.

This results from an intensification of the normal antidromic "renewing" activity of the optic nerve. With practice, or with outside stimulation from flickering lights,
you can project foveal, or peri-foveal, movies in vivid color.

The experience of "after-motion" in reverse, when a car in which you are riding stops after a period of continuous motion, reveals that motion and apparent size
(the swelling or shrinking of the landscape as it seems to move toward or away from you) are produced by the "intentionality" of moving dot systems.

I remember that either Michael Polanyi or Maurice Merleau-Ponty wrote that we may not be able to perceive the "neural response" which underlies a perception, but here is a case where that kind of "complete" perception is possible.

J. H. Fremlin (Nature 238, 406, 1972) has made an observation (a sensation of structure being built up by staring at flowing water) that suggests how movement of the scanning system can lead to the perception of space, though it doesn't imply that other processes— more internal— may not produce movement in response to projected space. Visual cortex processes probably project a space, which governs and interprets the streaming surface. This is what feels like the "pusher" of energy into the eye, and it's the grainless, dream substance— in Dali's terms, the Camembert cheese, behind the caviar.

The visual "tunnel" that often appears with flickering lights, as illustrated diagrammatically by the rectangles with diagonals representing corners, corresponds to a scanning similar to sand going down a rat-hole. That is, mere external stimulation generates space, depth— or at least the excitement promotes that tendency in our perception.

The "inner” intentional space encompasses the body and generates the space in which objects of other senses can be located— some auditory fibers, for example, travel into the visual cortex, as if sounds were to be perceived visually to a certain extent. In dream states, with body input blocked, ordinary perspectives aren't necessary— depth can be experienced without direct reference to the eyes.
This passage is incredible and so is the illusion he recommends doing, the streaming dots move like a torus both clockwise and anti clockwise, it's really profound what he's saying here and you can experience it, I can't emphasise this enough.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

I feel like someone posted a link to it on here, is there anyway to search all the books linked on here?

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Geraldo, you may try:

Thanks but no luck with it.
I cant see it in his bibliography either. I searched the LIGHT search engine also, Im using key words but it's not effective.

mayku-T-meelo

Maybe someone who corresponds with him on a regular basis could ask him? I was once looking for a chicken study he mentioned in a Generative Energy Podcast. They fed chickens LSD and could detect and record electrical patterns coming from the brain to retina. I had no luck searching through Google Scholar or any other search engines. Then I wrote to him 2 months ago, but he didn't respond. I'm not sure if it was his email, since it was my first time writing to him and I got his address from another podcast that was recorded back in the day.

Lizb

Maybe someone who corresponds with him on a regular basis could ask him? I was once looking for a chicken study he mentioned in a Generative Energy Podcast. They fed chickens LSD and could detect and record electrical patterns coming from the brain to retina. I had no luck searching through Google Scholar or any other search engines. Then I wrote to him 2 months ago, but he didn't respond. I'm not sure if it was his email, since it was my first time writing to him and I got his address from another podcast that was recorded back in the day.
I found that emails have to be very short.

Giraffe

You may be able to find that study if you follow the references and the references of the referenced study below.

" [...] we suggest that LSD-induced visual hallucinations/phosphenes may be due to the transient enhancement of bioluminescent photons in the early retinotopic visual system in blind as well as healthy people."

ironfist

But, I've got a bunch of websites saved to deal with helping vision problems, wearing thicker glasses to force yourself to work harder the other way, etc. Perhaps you want me to post?

sunny

But, I've got a bunch of websites saved to deal with helping vision problems, wearing thicker glasses to force yourself to work harder the other way, etc. Perhaps you want me to post?
Yes, please

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals