Any Thoughts About Lefties?

GutFeeling

Many say that left-handed people have tendencies to skills in some sports and charisma, but they also emphasize the increased risk of psychosis, high blood pressure, epilepsy, schizophrenia, autism and so on. I have also seen theories that the main reason there are left-handed people is stress.
[Left-handedness and health]. - PubMed - NCBI
Handedness and health: an examination of the association between different handedness classifications and health disorders. - PubMed - NCBI

What do you think of this?

lvysaur

I've noticed that when I eat gelatin, my left hand gains some functionality. Normally I was always extremely right handed.

Herbie

Apparently the right hemisphere in the brain is more developed and the corpus callosum is larger in left handed people.

Energizer

"The current enthusiasm
among some American psychologists for explaining behavior
through differences between brain hemispheres could be
moderated by examining the Soviet work on cerebral function
which emphasizes a more holographic approach." - Mind and Tissue foreword, page 2.

I don't think handedness is really all that important. Both hemispheres are mutually trophic (they stimulate each other) and function builds structure, so a high metabolic rate should support thinking on both sides.

FWIW, I'm left-handed. The stress theory seems plausible. I don't notice any benefit of being left-handed (such as an advanced right hemisphere). If anything, it's probably a hindrance. The industrial world is largely designed for right-handers. Though my left hand has better fine motor coordination for writing, I've adapted by using a mouse-right handed, and my right hand is stronger than my left hand, so I typically throw a ball with my right hand (generally the right side of the body is stronger than the left due to developmental asymmetry).

Last edited:

MrSmart

Left-handed people have reduced lateralization of brain function, as well as other brain microstructure differences. It appears to me that it is indeed associated with testosterone-mediated effects during prenatal development, and ultimately manifests in the form of highly masculine brain function and behavior. Although it has a genetic component (well, so does everything), men are more likely to be left-handed than women for that reason. It does not appear to pose any immediate threat to its carrier in my understanding, but it does provide a better fighting ability vs other human competition, which is likely why it hasn't been naturally selected against. On the other hand, there is no good reason why it's not 50/50 today. It's ambiguous how symmetrical biology works.

OP
GutFeeling

GutFeeling

Thank you all guys, very interesting!
I feel calmer when I use my right hand.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals