Agmatine

bdawg

SQu

I asked Ray Peat directly, and he responded:

"Her symptoms and history are very suggestive of hypothyroidism.
Progesterone, which protects the optic nerve, is low in hypothyroidism.
Progesterone and vitamins D and K protect against excessive nitric oxide.
Agmatine (a natural parallel to aminoguanidine) is another substance
that lowers NO and eye pressure."

From a thread asking RP advice on glaucoma: Glaucoma And Low Eye Pressure

ddjd

SQu

Also I started getting kidney pain from 5g agmatine daily doses and stopped, and the pain stopped.

That is concerning! Was thinking of giving it to my husband to help lower IOP. Trying to fend the surgeon off. He doesn't have nerve damage (thankfully), but the surgeon's all in favour nevertheless (predictably, every kind of problem looks like it should be fixed with a knife). I am hating this dilemma, this kind of pressure ...

SQu

Also I started getting kidney pain from 5g agmatine daily doses and stopped, and the pain stopped.

Where did you find info on the dose? Could it have been too much?

That is concerning! Was thinking of giving it to my husband to help lower IOP. Trying to fend the surgeon off. He doesn't have nerve damage (thankfully), but the surgeon's all in favour nevertheless (predictably, every kind of problem looks like it should be fixed with a knife). I am hating this dilemma, this kind of pressure ... Really hoping to get that IOP down by other means

bdawg

Where did you find info on the dose? Could it have been too much?

That is concerning! Was thinking of giving it to my husband to help lower IOP. Trying to fend the surgeon off. He doesn't have nerve damage (thankfully), but the surgeon's all in favour nevertheless (predictably, every kind of problem looks like it should be fixed with a knife). I am hating this dilemma, this kind of pressure ... Really hoping to get that IOP down by other means

Possibly too much, use examine.com as a guide for dosage to be safe

I'm a fast metaboliser so tend to require larger doses to see an effect unless the effect is from the metabolite.

No idea about what caused the pain, I haven't seen any user reports with the same issue. The only cause I can think of is localised oxidisation (one of the effects) caused by cAMP activation

Overall it had a good effect. No idea about IOP however, its worth a try as the amino acid beneficially effects a lot of processes

aquaman

Peat mentions agmatine deficiency (alongside serotonin excess) as a possible cause of Autism in the previous newsletter he sent out:
Ray Peat said:
Things in the environment, or substances produced in reactions to environmental stress, that might cause autism, include prenatal and neonatal exposure to radiation, including isotopes from the power industry, bomb testing, Chernobyl, and Fukashima; exposure to air pollution, including nitrogen oxides, ozone, carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, and particles; aluminium, lead, mercury, manganese, arsenic, cadmium, chromium, manganese, and nickel; acetaminophen, infections, endotoxin, exogenous and endogenous estrogens, hypothyroidism, progesterone deficiency, agmatine deficiency, serotonin excess, endogenous nitric oxide, and Vitamin D deficiency.

alywest

Peat mentions agmatine deficiency (alongside serotonin excess) as a possible cause of Autism in the previous newsletter he sent out:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/24750573.2018.1426696
Found this interesting. Peat has made comparisons between autism and schizophrenia in the past.

INTRODUCTION: Schizophrenia is one of the most severe psychiatric disorders with about 1% prevalence. It has been proved that glutamatergic N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonists such as MK-801 and phencyclidine cause schizophrenia-like behaviours in rodents. Agmatine is an endogenous amine synthesized from decarboxylation of arginine and has been thought to be a neurotransmitter/neuromodulator. It binds to imidazoline and alfa adrenergic receptors and blocks cation channelled receptors, such as nicotinic acetylcholine, 5-HT3 serotonergic, and NMDA receptors. It is an endogenous inhibitor of nitric oxide synthase. A limited number of studies showed that agmatine attenuates sensorimotor gating deficit, which is an important parameter for schizophrenia, and improves cognitive deficits in rats. Despite this, it has also been shown that high doses of agmatine impaired sensorimotor gating. Herein, the aim of our study is to investigate the effect of subchronic agmatine treatment on sensorimotor gating, visual recognition memory, and social functions in subchronic MK-801 model of schizophrenia in rats.

CONCLUSIONS: Subchronic MK-801 administration revealed sensorimotor gating, social and cognitive deficits in rats. Subchronic agmatine treatment improved cognitive deficits and increased socialization in rats although it was ineffective for sensorimotor gating deficits. Our results indicate that agmatine might be a modulator for negative and cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia, which are still unsolved issues for schizophrenia patients.

Mauritio

Hans

Forum Supporter

Mauritio

It activates the alpha 2 receptor, thus lowering noradrenaline and adrenaline. So it should actually help with sleep.
Thanks. I wasn't sure about that. So it should help with generell anxiety disorder , hypertension ,insomnia, etc ...

I was worried it might **** up my sleep since I already have high adrenaline .
And sometimes I need a little help for sleep . Anti histamines work but they do make adrenaline worse . So I'm happy if agmatine doesnt increase adrenaline. Plus it's an endotoxin antagonist which might also help.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks. I wasn't sure about that. So it should help with generell anxiety disorder , hypertension ,insomnia, etc ...

I was worried it might **** up my sleep since I already have high adrenaline .
And sometimes I need a little help for sleep . Anti histamines work but they do make adrenaline worse . So I'm happy if agmatine doesnt increase adrenaline. Plus it's an endotoxin antagonist which might also help.
Yeah, agmatine is great against anxiety, because it also inhibits iNOS and nNOS, which is elevated in anxiety and other mood disorders.
Salt should help keep adrenaline low. How you tried some protein, carbs and salt before bed?

Mauritio

Yeah, agmatine is great against anxiety, because it also inhibits iNOS and nNOS, which is elevated in anxiety and other mood disorders.
Salt should help keep adrenaline low. How you tried some protein, carbs and salt before bed?
I've tried it all . Even clonidine and beta blockers . Beta blockers worked the best ,but definitely not a long term strategy. I think my adrenaline issues are digestion related as I often got them after eating.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals