11 Hours Into A Dry Fast

Such_Umami

I've built up quite well over the last few months but I've found that once I got up to weight and tapered off, I started getting increased symptoms of inflammation. So I thought I'd go on a dry fast to begin the new year.

yerrag

Are you feeling any signs of low blood sugar? I wonder how low one's blood sugar can go before quitting a fast. Would you know?

I was sick often before (allergic rhinitis, colds, leading to fever or flu) and found out, after being sickly since childhood, that it was the result of hypoglycemia. So my fear of it makes me cautious, perhaps too cautious that it would be my chief (and only) concern in a fast.

Runenight201

Im interested in your results. I’m currently going through a short liquid only fast of soup, beer, lemon, honey, tea, and sugar.

yerrag

Im interested in your results. I’m currently going through a short liquid only fast of soup, beer, lemon, honey, tea, and sugar.
Beer is part of your regimen?

raypeatclips

Are you feeling any signs of low blood sugar? I wonder how low one's blood sugar can go before quitting a fast. Would you know?

I was sick often before (allergic rhinitis, colds, leading to fever or flu) and found out, after being sickly since childhood, that it was the result of hypoglycemia. So my fear of it makes me cautious, perhaps too cautious that it would be my chief (and only) concern in a fast.

Why don't you get a cheap glucometer to monitor it?

yerrag

Why don't you get a cheap glucometer to monitor it?
I do. I want to see what others have to say though.

I saw 60 and I took a teaspoon of sugar on a fast, but don't know if I should. Maybe one can go on lower blood sugar levels on a fast? Maybe taking the sugar keeps me from autophagy of old tissue/mitochondria and it reduces from the full benefit of the fast?

I don't know. I seem to be the only one so far in the forum who subscribes to a combination of feel and taking measurements with affordable devices. I can't have useful data sharing when I'm the only one taking measurements. Haven't seen anyone here take blood glucose readings but a lot here like to talk adrenaline and cortisol and the feeling of it. And yet, adrenaline and cortisol secretion are driven mainly blood sugar level. Just because Ray Peat doesn't talk blood sugar much but talks a lot about cortisol doesn't mean blood sugar levels are not important.

I agree, why not go buy a cheap glucometer? But tell that to the other forum members. I think many just see a stigma in buying a glucometer, because deep inside they don't want to be associated with being diabetic. The association is strong, and they have to resist it. And they're also wimps, because they can't stand to be pricked.

Last edited:

raypeatclips

I do. I want to see what others have to say though.

I saw 60 and I took a teaspoon of sugar on a fast, but don't know if I should. Maybe one can go on lower blood sugar levels on a fast? Maybe taking the sugar keeps me from autophagy of old tissue/mitochondria and it reduces from the full benefit of the fast?

I don't know. I seem to be the only one so far in the forum who subscribes to a combination of feel and taking measurements with affordable devices. I can't have useful data sharing when I'm the only one taking measurements. Haven't seen anyone here take blood glucose readings but a lot here like to talk adrenaline and cortisol and the feeling of it. And yet, adrenaline and cortisol secretion are driven mainly blood sugar level. Just because Ray Peat doesn't talk blood sugar much but talks a lot about cortisol doesn't mean blood sugar levels are not important.

I agree, why not go buy a cheap glucometer? But tell that to the other forum members. I think many just see a stigma in buying a glucometer, because deep inside they don't want to be associated with being diabetic. The association is strong, and they have to resist it. And they're also wimps, because they can't stand to be pricked.

The amount of times I had "hypoglycemia" was countless, yet not a single time I have measured my blood sugar it was within low blood sugar range. Something else was going on (too much carbs in relation to other macros causing a plummet)

Runenight201

i have been using alcohol therapeutically for about a month now, with positive results. It induces a complete relaxation and warmth in me, both of mind and stomach. I made a beer drink of lemon and honey today that was just short of euphoria for me, and occasionally i like to take drags of whisky as needed to calm my body down.

While alcohols abuse is certainly problematic, I have found that the initial effects of alcohol show me a state of complete relaxation and removal of stress. This has been ground breaking in my perception of how much stress I am taking on. I would consider my alcohol induced state to be having zero stress. My body temperature always warms up as a result of alcohol, especially at my hands, where I always go cold first when I’m stressed. My eating habits have shifted towards the foods that don’t stress my digestion, and it also has shifted my activities around to ones that are generative instead of stressful.

Of course, at times I have gone a little too far with alcohols consumption, and have run into the unfortunate effects of stupor and decreased spatial perception. When the stupor and decreased spatial perception become noticeable I always cease alcohols consumption.

yerrag

The amount of times I had "hypoglycemia" was countless, yet not a single time I have measured my blood sugar it was within low blood sugar range. Something else was going on (too much carbs in relation to other macros causing a plummet)
What is the "hypoglycemia" you speak of? And what were the glucose values?

yerrag

i have been using alcohol therapeutically for about a month now, with positive results. It induces a complete relaxation and warmth in me, both of mind and stomach. I made a beer drink of lemon and honey today that was just short of euphoria for me, and occasionally i like to take drags of whisky as needed to calm my body down.

While alcohols abuse is certainly problematic, I have found that the initial effects of alcohol show me a state of complete relaxation and removal of stress. This has been ground breaking in my perception of how much stress I am taking on. I would consider my alcohol induced state to be having zero stress. My body temperature always warms up as a result of alcohol, especially at my hands, where I always go cold first when I’m stressed. My eating habits have shifted towards the foods that don’t stress my digestion, and it also has shifted my activities around to ones that are generative instead of stressful.

Of course, at times I have gone a little too far with alcohols consumption, and have run into the unfortunate effects of stupor and decreased spatial perception. When the stupor and decreased spatial perception become noticeable I always cease alcohols consumption.

You have a contrarian streak in you, that's for sure. But if it's alcohol, why beer and not wine? Beer's not Peaty either.

Runenight201

You have a contrarian streak in you, that's for sure. But if it's alcohol, why beer and not wine? Beer's not Peaty either.

Beer helps out my GI tract more than wine. I like wine too, but that’s more of a substance that I can only abuse to have fun, where as beer actually has therapeutic effects for me. I’m not sure why wine is like that for me.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

I have a blood glucose meter and have taken readings of it during dry fasts. I can't remember for sure what it went down to but I think it was somewhere around 70 and I think it stayed there throughout the fast. When I get deeper into this fast, I will take some readings for you. Right now I am 23 hours into no glucose (but only 15 hours dry) and not exhibiting any symptoms of low blood glucose, I'm not even hungry.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Ok, I thought I'd do an initial reading. At 15 hours 30 minutes into my dry fast (23:30 total including water), I have a blood glucose level of 84mg/dl.

yerrag

I have a blood glucose meter and have taken readings of it during dry fasts. I can't remember for sure what it went down to but I think it was somewhere around 70 and I think it stayed there throughout the fast. When I get deeper into this fast, I will take some readings for you. Right now I am 23 hours into no glucose (but only 15 hours dry) and not exhibiting any symptoms of low blood glucose, I'm not even hungry.
Thanks! Please keep us updated.

10 months ago, I was able to stay at a glucose level of 75, with a water day fast. Didn't go further though. But things have changed since, as my blood sugar regulation got out of whack. It plummeted to 65 after an endotoxin storm from which I'm trying to recover from.

yerrag

Ok, I thought I'd do an initial reading. At 15 hours 30 minutes into my dry fast (23:30 total including water), I have a blood glucose level of 84mg/dl.
Excellent values. Perfect, I think. Would be interesting to see values on succeeding days, when glycogen is used up and you're having to rely on fats and protein for energy. Wonder what the blood sugar would be like when sugar is supplied by breaking down protein into sugar.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Dry Fast: 22 hours.

BG: 90mg/dl

Probably because it's 8:50am that my cortisol has raised to increase glucose levels for the day ahead. I'm going to meditate now and keep my breathing low to hopefully minimalise the catabolic effects of the cortisol from low liver glycogen. My sleep was quite deep and the glimpses of dreams that I had were very healing orientated. Hopefully they will become more vivid because I drank and smoked weed during the new year which usually means I can't dream nearly as well for a few days.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Dry Fast: 30 hours

BG: 78mg/dl

Time:5pm

This is my first fast since implementing Ray Peats research. One thing I have noticed which I should have noticed a long time back was that RP's diet makes me respire more. I found it hard to breathe silently. It was only when I started fasting and my original breathing came back did I realise this. I'm theorising it's because of increase c02 in my blood. So when I end this fast and start to build back, I need to make a conscious effort to keep my breathing normal to take advantage of this extra c02.

Beer helps out my GI tract more than wine. I like wine too, but that’s more of a substance that I can only abuse to have fun, where as beer actually has therapeutic effects for me. I’m not sure why wine is like that for me.

Try unpasteurized unfiltered beer with alive culture of yeast. Surprisingly curative for GI tract. Since ancient times it was used to fight endotoxin issues. They even had beer with tetracycline.
Ancient brew masters tapped antibiotic secrets

Runenight201

Dry Fast: 30 hours

BG: 78mg/dl

Time:5pm

This is my first fast since implementing Ray Peats research. One thing I have noticed which I should have noticed a long time back was that RP's diet makes me respire more. I found it hard to breathe silently. It was only when I started fasting and my original breathing came back did I realise this. I'm theorising it's because of increase c02 in my blood. So when I end this fast and start to build back, I need to make a conscious effort to keep my breathing normal to take advantage of this extra c02.

I think it would be a useful endeavor to note how your breathing rate changes in response to the foods you consume post fast.

Vinny

I did make a few dry fasts these days, but did not take BG readings. I've got a glucometer, but can't afford the strips right now.
However, at some point during the fast, my liver started hurting, obviously from depleting glycogen. To mitigate this unpleasant effect, ordered some taurine, which hopefully will allow me to last longer. We'll se...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals