Don't tolerate normal meat anymore

mad539

I've started a carnivore diet some weeks ago and got an allergic reaction (dry skin, skin cracks, fatigue, flushed face, ...) from most of the meats like lamb, beef, chicken, pork. Even plain old chicken breasts made issues. The reaction is also very fast, at maximum 20 minutes before i notice. When eating meat in the evening, i wake up at around 3 o'clock with stomach issues. On the next day i have breathing issue (air hunger) and anxiety, which slowly goes away when not eating anymore meat.

Now i wonder what exactly could be in the meat i'm reacting too. I'm allergic to soy, but do soy proteins even end up in the meat/fat?
I've thought maybe it's the high omega 6 from grain fed meat, but pure sunflower or rapeseed oil with rice don't create the same symptoms.

I also tried gras fed ground beef meat which was immediately ground and frozen after slaughter to minimize histamine buildup - same reaction, though not as bad. Supplementing with DAO makes no difference.

Maybe it is alpha-gal, but then i shouldn't be reacting to chicken. Could it be inflammation from low stomach acid? Missing enzymes?
What else could it be?

youngsinatra

It sounds like histamine intolerance to me.

DAO is not the only enzyme that breaks down histamine. It‘s only breaking down histamine in the gut that then gets taken up.
HNMT breaks down histamine inside the body. A carnivore gives you sufficient amounts of B12 but definitely lacks folate which is so important for the methylation cycle. Also riboflavin might be very low on carnivore, which is needed for the MTHFR enzyme functioning. Well cooked mushrooms have a good amount of riboflavin.

You probably need a calcium source on the carnivore diet too. If dairy is not tolerated than a high quality mineral water can supply good amounts of calcium. Calcium also lowers histamine and combats excessive excitation.

Copper is also definitely (!) missing on the muscle meat-centered carnivore diet. Copper is intimately involved in methylation and histamine metabolism.

I am on a carnivore-ish diet (ground beef, chicken drumsticks, mushrooms, avocado, onions, olive oil, rosemary, coffee) myself and supplementing 4-8mg of copper glycinate powder, 500mcg methyl-B12, 500mcg methylfolate, 500-800mg magnesium glycinate, plus mineral water works well so far.

Last edited:
OP
M

mad539

I think one chunk of the symptoms are surely histamine related (especially the one with late onset), but the other chunk (which i'm more interested in) come immediately after eating, at max 20 minutes (dry skin, skin cracks, flushed face, fatigue). I don't think histamine plays a role at this stage of digestion, but correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm not yet carnivore, i just tried to start and noticed a worsening of symptoms with a high amount of meat. The symptoms persist on a normal diet and are proportional to the amount of meat i eat. I switched to a lowish meat diet and feel extremly better. As soon as i start eating chicken breast or ribeye, my skin gets very dry, around 20 minutes later. I also noticed that Vitamin E helps my skin, without it the dry skin is way worse.

I looks and feels like an actually allergic reaction (i'm testing alpha-gal next week, but as i said, chicken makes problems too), but to what?

Dutchie

It sounds like histamine intolerance to me.

DAO is not the only enzyme that breaks down histamine. It‘s only breaking down histamine in the gut that then gets taken up.
HNMT breaks down histamine inside the body. A carnivore gives you sufficient amounts of B12 but definitely lacks folate which is so important for the methylation cycle. Also riboflavin might be very low on carnivore, which is needed for the MTHFR enzyme functioning. Well cooked mushrooms have a good amount of riboflavin.

You probably need a calcium source on the carnivore diet too. If dairy is not tolerated than a high quality mineral water can supply good amounts of calcium. Calcium also lowers histamine and combats excessive excitation.

Copper is also definitely (!) missing on the muscle meat-centered carnivore diet. Copper is intimately involved in methylation and histamine metabolism.

I am on a carnivore-ish diet (ground beef, chicken drumsticks, mushrooms, avocado, onions, olive oil, rosemary, coffee) myself and supplementing 4-8mg of copper glycinate powder, 500mcg methyl-B12, 500mcg methylfolate, 500-800mg magnesium glycinate, plus mineral water works well so far.
Do you deskin the drumsticks before preparing them?

Lately I find myself thinking of drumsticks to have some more variation,but I never make them bc I find deskinning and roasting them such a grueling process.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals