I'm Losing A Lot Of Weight On Intermittent Fasting

tfcjesse

So it seems tyw recommends IF...I've heard mostly bad things about it on this forum, but also have plenty of friends (though not endocrinologists) praise it highly.

Would it be suitable for putting on muscle? And does it actually harm thyroid/disrupt stress hormones?

sladerunner69

I stopped the IF, the weight came back. Sorry to disappoint.

I'm trying it again though. I'm on day 3.

Im losing weight consistently with lowering my total calories and keeping my fat lower. Not liberally using butter, cheeses, switching to nonfat milk, etc. Also I stopped eating copious amounts of sugar, fruit and juice, and am only eating foods and drinking liquids when I feel at least a little bit of hunger. This way I have been shedding fat without elevating stress hormones to a significant degree.

Shin

So it seems tyw recommends IF...I've heard mostly bad things about it on this forum, but also have plenty of friends (though not endocrinologists) praise it highly.

Would it be suitable for putting on muscle? And does it actually harm thyroid/disrupt stress hormones?

Yeah this forum doesn't like it, but for me after trying all kinds of diets for years IF just works best.
Maybe it's not good for hyperthyroid people/ people with lots of adrenaline all the time, who need to calm down a little. Thats when eating calms them down.
But I never feel right after eating, just no power to work out...

But with IF I actually was able to hit the gym 5 times a week and felt a lot stronger.
And yes you can and will build muscle on IF, you just have to train HARD and consistently muscle don't come from sitting around.
Fasting increases HGH which will help with muscle building, I will go on a protocol again where I train in the early evening and eat right after weight training.

I feel best when low body fat and eating all day did make me fat again. I just can't handle the constant blood sugar swings which make me eat all the time never feeling satiated.

You have to figure out what your goals are and design a diet according to those goals.
From reading the forums for some time now it's clear most people are overweight and have been trying to lose the weight unsuccessfully for a while.

If your metabolism was crap to begin with peating won't make you magically able to eat 5000kcals and be shredded.

For hypothyroid people I feel eating a calorie dense diet with little water content is key.
I ate mostly fruit for the past few years, LOVE melons but I never felt warm with how much water they contain, that only works if you live in the tropics and you need to cool down.

I experimented with lots of cheese for calcium and gained quite a few kg and didn't feel better at all.

What I have found works best for me is Potatoes with a little mct oil and shrimp, that really raised my low temps to nearly normal levels.
So I'am going to do that again with IF as I have no problems eating even 3kg of potatoes in one sitting.

OP
M

milk

It seems like fasting does wear out your skin. I suddenly look older.

I'm dropping IF for now, then.

Now I'm trying VLF, less sugar, more fruit, and just counting calories. Consuming less sugar and more fruit makes it easy to not overdo the caloric intake. And it seems to be lowering my blood pressure, too. Which is probably liver-related, and this approach is easier on the liver, isn't it?

whodathunkit

@teds, I lost a lot of weight intermittent fasting. I agree with a lot of the statements in this thread that it's an effective tool even if not a fabulous long-term strategy.

If you overdo it (too much or use it for too long), it can cause issues with gall bladder and digestive system. I developed partial gastroparesis from overdoing it. I'm over that now but it was very unpleasant while I was getting attacks.

It's also easy to overestimate the amount you're eating, so that you undereat for a prolonged period of time, leading to metabolic issues.

If you can avoid those pitfalls it's a decent weight loss choice for a while. Not a long term lifestyle strategy.

I also don't think that interspersing fasting with periods of very high fat is a good idea, as it puts stress on the liver. Moderate fat intake during your feed windows is best.

Atalanta

This weight lifter, Nun Amen Ra, claims to eat only 1500 calories once a day. He eat legumes, grains, nuts, brewer's yeast, soy protein, no watery foods. He also takes supplements.

J

James IV

I don't think 400grams of noodles, which is certainly a whole slew of noodles, will be very appetizing unless your protein source is significantly fatty and your stomach is gigantic. Anyways I don't function optimally on starch, I'm definitely a sugar/fruit cat.

And I think that quote is actually from Bruce Lee. BTW he passed away from cancer when he was still a young man.

Bruce Lee died of brain edema, not cancer. The cause of the edema is debated. Some say it was from a blow to the head he received, some some a reaction to pain medication, some think he was poisoned by the underground martial arts purists.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

James IV

The healthiest way to lose fat and maintain/gain structural tissue is to eat foods that spontaneously make you do more activity. Eat more, move more.

Second best would be to do nothing (rest in a clean, stress free environment) and eat very little. Although this would compromise structural tissue more.

Most people combine more stress/activity with less food, which is the best way to ensure you will continue to get fatter with each stress cycle.

I think the most beneficial thing about IF is it usually makes people sit down to complete, satisfying, mixed meals. This is much better for digestion and nutrient assimilation than snacking. It's also good for hormone signaling and maintaining the hypothalamus against obesity. But IF should be effortless. If you are ignoring hunger, you are doing it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

James IV

Funny.

But what are you really talking about

I mean eat good hearty mixed meals that make you feel strong and motivated. Treat food as energy. Don't "earn" food. Fuel for activity. Lumberjack breakfast to do lumberjack levels of work.

The worlds best atheletes have one thing in common, they eat. live in a way that provides the impetus for a lean muscular body, and you can eat almost anything (within reason) to get there.

Tarmander

I mean eat good hearty mixed meals that make you feel strong and motivated. Treat food as energy. Don't "earn" food. Fuel for activity. Lumberjack breakfast to do lumberjack levels of work.

The worlds best atheletes have one thing in common, they eat. live in a way that provides the impetus for a lean muscular body, and you can eat almost anything (within reason) to get there.

What food is hearty and energy giving?

J

James IV

What food is hearty and energy giving?

In the context of real food, all of it should be energy giving, as long as you are eating enough to support its digestion and assimilation, as well as the necessary removal of toxins that inherently come along for the ride.

I personally lean mainly towards foods that are dense in energy; carbs/fat/protien. High volume/low energy foods like those high in fiber and water, are mainky for adding variety of flavor and texture.

sladerunner69

Bruce Lee died of brain edema, not cancer. The cause of the edema is debated. Some say it was from a blow to the head he received, some some a reaction to pain medication, some think he was poisoned by the underground martial arts purists.

Intriguing indeed.

Herbie

This weight lifter, Nun Amen Ra, claims to eat only 1500 calories once a day. He eat legumes, grains, nuts, brewer's yeast, soy protein, no watery foods. He also takes supplements.

I listened to this a while ago, had to listen in double speed to meet my pace of cognition.

He says he wakes up really early on one meal a day only 'needs' 5 hours sleep and says when he eats like a 'normal' person that he sleeps 8 hours. Alarm bells of adrenaline ring.

He thinks increasing igf1 and growth hormone are positives for longevity. Hmm.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals