Just Ended An Early Morning Work Shift, Going To "Normal" Hours

tankasnowgod

I have been working an Early Morning work shift (work started at 6:00am, was waking at 4:30am) for quite a few years now. In fact, I realized it was likely a decade (time does fly). I have had weight issues the majority of my life (starting around 8), but did notice that they became amplified after I started working these early morning hours. Shortly after I started doing this shift, I gained about 20 pounds, and was at an all time high for weight. After a few months or a year of that and trying various diet/exercise regimens, I was introduced to Paleo, which seemed to help, and Intermittent Fasting, which seemed to work like a miracle (at least at first). I dropped about 40-50 pounds over a few months, and both looked at felt much better (but still had poorly defined muscle tone, and a gut). A few months after this, I developed freezing cold hands and feet, and it was around this time that I discovered Ray Peat, thyroid, and also digging deeper into iron reduction.

Things seemed to be okay, weight fluctuated, but overall, things were good. I was using a combo of Anthony Colpo's FLB plan and some of Peat's ideas, and this period seemed pretty well. I was also getting some great gigs financially, so overall, life was pretty good, despite the early mornings.

Things remained this way till about 2 years ago, when weight again began creeping back up. Energy was getting lower overall too. Sleep was starting to become more of an issue as well, and while I did discover IBT and noticed some really good improvements, the morning schedule continued to grind. I hit a new all time high in weight late last year, and probably felt the worst overall this year (like my body was beginning to break down). The low point was probably March of this year. Summer probably helped, as well as some cortisol lowering supplements I started using more regularly or in higher doses (Pregnenolone, Progesterone, Aspirin, A, D, E, and high amounts of gelatin).

My weight hasn't changed much since then, and things that worked previously for weight control have not worked well or at all this past year. One thing that does seem to have made a noticeable difference is progesterone, which really helped increase muscle tone.

Shift work and hours of waking has been studied for it's effect on cortisol in weight. Here's a couple studies, but most state the same basic thing- cortisol and weight both go up in shift work.

Shift Work at Young Age Is Associated with Elevated Long-Term Cortisol Levels and Body Mass Index

Free cortisol awakening responses are influenced by awakening time - ScienceDirect

Of relevance-

"Nurses were investigated on the first and second day of their early (awakening: 0400–0530 h), late (awakening: 0600–0900 h), and night shift (awakening: 1100–1400 h), respectively. Students were studied after taking a short nap on two consecutive weekdays (awakening: 1845–2030 h). Mean cortisol levels after awakening increased significantly under all three shift conditions (p<0.01), but decreased in the student sample (p<.05). Within the three shift conditions, cortisol responses following waking in the early shift were more pronounced than in late (p<.01) and night shift (p<.05). "

My last early morning was Friday, and now, I will be on a more regular schedule. I've heard other people say they are much more awake, sleep better, and have more energy after ending an early morning shift, and I suspect I will too. I am going to keep on using the anti cortisol substances, but wanted to create this thread to note differences I notice over the next few weeks and months.

Vinny

Long, long time shift worker.
Have done three attempts to quit.
Each lasted about 2.5 months. Did not notice whatever benefit. Suspecting, need at least an year break/regular routine to recover completely, if at all....
This year fat is piling up much more than any other period in my life. If before cortisol was the issue (tests did not prove it) now I tend to blame estrogen issues, plus, eventually cortisol....

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Long, long time shift worker.
Have done three attempts to quit.
Each lasted about 2.5 months. Did not notice whatever benefit. Suspecting, need at least an year break/regular routine to recover completely, if at all....
This year fat is piling up much more than any other period in my life. If before cortisol was the issue (tests did not prove it) now I tend to blame estrogen issues, plus, eventually cortisol....

What do you mean by "three attempts to quit, only lasting about 2.5 months?" Did you lower your income during these attempts? If you gave up the stress of rotating or off hour shifts for the stress of having less secure finances, I could see where you wouldn't see any benefit.

For me, this is a lateral move, and it may very well open up a few good opportunities. A giant burden already feels like it's been lifted off my shoulders.

Although I do have a coworker who did this same shift, from working early morning hours to normal hours about a year ago, and since that time, she appears to have gained a significant amount of weight.

Vinny

What do you mean by "three attempts to quit, only lasting about 2.5 months?" Did you lower your income during these attempts? If you gave up the stress of rotating or off hour shifts for the stress of having less secure finances, I could see where you wouldn't see any benefit.

For me, this is a lateral move, and it may very well open up a few good opportunities. A giant burden already feels like it's been lifted off my shoulders.

Although I do have a coworker who did this same shift, from working early morning hours to normal hours about a year ago, and since that time, she appears to have gained a significant amount of weight.
Yes, my finances suffered during those breaks.