natural beauty care from a peat perpspective

uuy8778yyi

best skin topicals ?

niacin ?
coq10 powder maybe ?

what else works through the peat paradigm

A

Anonymous

i'd focus on the internal things rather than external.

coconut oil and other saturated fats
a clean gut from easy to digest foods
gelatin
liver
adequate thyroid

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've been using coconut oil and jojoba topically.
Baking soda is nice for exfoliating.
Real cocoa butter.
Sugar and melted coconut oil blended together makes a nice body scrub.
Some forum members have used beef tallow and been happy with the results.
There is an old thread about this subject that I will try to locate and post the link for you.

L

lollipop

What about Shea Butter? I have been using and is saturated like coco butter...

narouz

lisaferraro said:

I've been curious about Shea Butter too, for a long time. :D
At first I thought it came from sheep. Wrong.
Then I think I found it was some kind of plant oil,
so I decided it was probably PUFA....

Blossom

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
lisaferraro said:

I've been curious about Shea Butter too, for a long time. :D
At first I thought it came from sheep. Wrong.
Then I think I found it was some kind of plant oil,
so I decided it was probably PUFA....
I would think Shea butter should be fine since it's a tropical plant.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Lanolin is from sheep's wool.

L

lollipop

Great as I find it super moisturizing AND it is solid at room temperature like coco butter...

Glad you posted this Blossom as it has been on my mind recently. I started eating following the suggestions of Ray 2 months ago and it made me wonder about skin and face moisturizers...

narouz

I had this face lotion I really liked that had Shea Butter as its main ingredient.
I will have to check into this Shea Butter.

Avocados are tropical, aren't they?
I think their oil is very PUFA.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
lisaferraro said:
Great as I find it super moisturizing AND it is solid at room temperature like coco butter...

Glad you posted this Blossom as it has been on my mind recently. I started eating following the suggestions of Ray 2 months ago and it made me wonder about skin and face moisturizers...
I might try it sometime! If I may ask do you use the refined or unrefined Shea butter? I was also curious if it has an unpleasant odor or aroma? I researched it a bit years ago and everything I read seemed to advise using the refined type.

L

lollipop

Hi Blossom :):

The two brands I use are using pure Shea butter (has some tocopherol Vit E in them):

L'Occitane is the more expensive brand but easier to put on. The other brand is Shea Moisture.

Whole Foods Market also has some good affordable 100% pure Shea butters.

Narouz Avocado Oil is a PUFA. I used to use now I avoid. And truth is I am new to all of this so correct me someone if I am wrong :):

narouz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shea_butter

Shea butter (/ˈʃiː/ or /ˈʃiː.ə/) is an off- white or ivory-colored fat extracted from the nut of the African shea tree (Vitellaria paradoxa).[1] Shea butter is a triglyceride (fat) derived mainly from stearic acid and oleic acid. It is widely used in cosmetics as a moisturizer, salve or lotion. Shea butter is edible and is used in food preparation in Africa.[2] Occasionally, the chocolate industry uses shea butter mixed with other oils as a substitute for cocoa butter, although the taste is noticeably different

https://rucore.libraries.rutgers.edu/rutgers-lib/33959/

ABSTRACT OF THE THESIS
Quality Characteristics of West African Shea Butter (Vitellaria paradoxa) and
Approaches to Extend Shelf-life
By HEE SEUNG NAHM
Dissertation Director: Professor Loredana Quadro
Shea butter is a versatile plant fat extracted from kernels of shea nuts, seeds of shea trees
(Vitellaria paradoxa). Shea butter has long been used in sub-Saharan Africa for
medicinal, culinary, and other applications and serves as a cocoa butter equivalent in the
manufacture of chocolate as well as an ingredient in cosmetics. Shea butter, rich in
unsaturated fatty acids undergoes hydrolytic and oxidative degradation during postharvest
processing and storage, resulting in inconsistent and degraded quality and limited
shelf-life.
The samples also shared similar chemical compositions, showing
palmitic (3.36-4.44 % of total fatty acids), stearic (39.74-44.62 %), oleic (40.71-44.48 %),
and linoleic acids (5.73-6.41 %) as the major fatty acids and α-amyrin having antiinflammatory
property (57.26-64.37 % of total sterols and triterpenes) as the major
unsaponifiable matter. Moisture, insoluble impurities, free fatty acids, and peroxide
values were needed to be controlled. Free fatty acid level was the most variable
parameter, ranged from 1.07 to 8.56 %. Peroxide value was low enough except the one
which was as high as 15.32 mEq/kg. Total unsaponifiable matters were measured lower
(2.21-4.18 %) compared to the previous studies (4-11 %) but still higher than many other
plant oils and fats (~2 %).
This study also aimed at identifying the protective effect of selected synthetic (BHT) and
natural (rosmarinic and gallic acids) antioxidants on shea butter from oxidation.
Peroxide value, conjugated dienes, thiobarbituric acid reactive substances, and the
amount of major fatty acids were measured as oxidative parameters at 0, 72 and 144
hours while the control and samples with 0.02 % of antioxidants were stored at 90 °C
with air flow. The antioxidants were significantly effective in protecting shea butter
from oxidation and no significant difference in the effect of synthetic and natural
antioxidants was found.

SQu

Lanolin was my favourite for lips until I started getting itchy tiny sores on the margins. Apparently it's mostly waxes with some fat, of which a little is unsaturated. Perhaps that goes rancid. If so it doesn't show any other signs. There are other possibilities such as detergents used in removing the lanolin from the wool, and I wonder about tick dip residues. Just speculation on my part though. I dont know how common this reaction is. It's lovely stuff otherwise.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
lisaferraro said:
Hi Blossom :):

The two brands I use are using pure Shea butter (has some tocopherol Vit E in them):

L'Occitane is the more expensive brand but easier to put on. The other brand is Shea Moisture.

Whole Foods Market also has some good affordable 100% pure Shea butters.

Narouz Avocado Oil is a PUFA. I used to use now I avoid. And truth is I am new to all of this so correct me someone if I am wrong :):
Thanks lisa.

pboy

slick your hair back , and sit in a sophisticated manner, and wear purple shirts

L

lollipop

Interesting Narouz...

Oops double posted - still trying to get used to this platform - ignore this one except the part where I wish everyone an awesome weekend :D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals