Healthier Grooming & Beauty Hacks

A 2011 study published in the Journal of Women's Health reported, "There is strong evidence that mineral oil hydrocarbons are the greatest contaminant of the human body. The researchers removed fat specimens from 142 women who were undergoing C-sections, and collected milk samples from them post-delivery. They found that both the fat and the milk were contaminated with mineral oil saturated hydrocarbons. The authors concluded, "The increase in MOSH [mineral oil saturated hydrocarbons] concentration in human fat tissue with age suggests an accumulation over time. Cosmetics might be a relevant source of the contamination."

Dr Ray Peat affirmed the study saying, “certain components of mineral oil (which is in many cosmetics) are toxic, and any that does get into the system does not metabolize."

I have given up, one at a time, almost every store bought beauty product, and sunscreen was my first elimination. The harms of sun screen, and it blocking vitamin D absorption was convincing enough for me to make my first move, but the "rabbit study" convinced me to spend more time in the sun. The study proved that PUFA's stored in the skin makes the skin burn (and overexposure) and cause skin cancers. Being a natural blonde I was proof the study was right, because as time passed and I eliminated PUFA's my skin didn't burn anymore! I was sickened by all the damage I had done to my skin slathering on all that sunscreen, and oh my poor babies! My well intentions of trying to protect them with sunscreen and many other ill advised things, leaves me with much regret. It did always make me wonder what people did before sunscreen was invented, as they weren't dying of skin cancer. It begged the question of what other stupid things i am doing while trying be healthy, and one by one, I discovered their were lots of things! My beauty routine is minimal now and saves me SO much money. I don't go to salons for facials, hair colorings or cuts or manicures. I don't buy lotions, toners, toothpaste, exfoliators, deoderant and face masks. I am down to shampoo, conditioner and 6 cosmetics: mascara, eye shadow, eye liner, blush, face powder and lip gloss. I off-set that beauty routine by washing my hair every OTHER day and wear make-up only when I want to look like a little more. It has made tremendous difference in my anti-aging quest, with more compliments now than ever before. Below i have listed my new and improved NATURAL beauty tips and would love if we could collectively make it complete!

*Unsalted grass fed butter to remove stubborn mascara smeared under my eyes

*A fine side of a kitchen sponge to exfoliate my legs and follow it up with a little coconut oil.

*Oil pulling for white teeth

*Milk Of amagnesia for deodorant

*Coconut oil as a daily toothpaste & once a week with a small amount of baking soda

*Ice cold rinse on hair & face at the end of a warm shower for smoother & shinier hair and even toned skin

*Silk pillow case for better completion & less hair breakage

*Manuka honey face mask to dissolve dead skin & feed the skin

OccamzRazer

*Manuka honey face mask to dissolve dead skin & feed the skin
All good stuff, tho I'm especially interested in this one!

Do you mix anything into the honey, or just leave it plain?

Avoiding PUFA, as you said, is also super important. I don't burn anymore either. My skin might turn red and flush for a few minutes, but then it just turns tan.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
All good stuff, tho I'm especially interested in this one!

Do you mix anything into the honey, or just leave it plain?

Avoiding PUFA, as you said, is also super important. I don't burn anymore either. My skin might turn red and flush for a few minutes, but then it just turns tan.
Agreed PUFA riddance is the biggest takeaway from all of the Ray Peat stuff! I use a lower grade manuka honey, no more tham a 12 and put a thin layer on my face, neck and chest, even slather it on my lips. I let it stay on for an hour and rinse it off in warm water, and don't wash my face that night, leaving the nutrients to do their thing overnight. The honey dissolves the top layers of skin and the next day my skin looks so refreshed! I do it every two to three weeks. Be careful not to get it on your eyebrows as it will lighten them.

akgrrrl

Rough ground mineral salt as all body skin defoliant, easy for shower use
Beet powder blush or lip dye
Liquid SalSoda from Dr Bronners for making shampoo, its a surfectant that makes the suds
Olive oil or olive oil soap for makeup remove or just facial soap
Various blends of oil for skin and hair: tamanu, neem, olive, or cedarwood (used for centuries by men for beards, hair, skin)
Volcanic pumice stone for hands and feet
Old toothbrush in body/hair oils after shower to train eyebrow or mustache shape

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rough ground mineral salt as all body skin defoliant, easy for shower use
Beet powder blush or lip dye
Liquid SalSoda from Dr Bronners for making shampoo, its a surfectant that makes the suds
Olive oil or olive oil soap for makeup remove or just facial soap
Various blends of oil for skin and hair: tamanu, neem, olive, or cedarwood (used for centuries by men for beards, hair, skin)
Volcanic pumice stone for hands and feet
Old toothbrush in body/hair oils after shower to train eyebrow or mustache shape
You got me at beet powder blush or lip dye! Where do you get that?

akgrrrl

You got me at beet powder blush or lip dye! Where do you get that?
Beet powder in bulk on Amazon as a supplement when fresh beets arent happenin! Dual purpose eh? Make a paste with brush in water and apply to completely dry lips, then emollient over that

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Beet powder in bulk on Amazon as a supplement when fresh beets arent happenin! Dual purpose eh? Make a paste with brush in water and apply to completely dry lips, then emollient over that
I love it! Thank you! I am still using a lip pencil from the health food store, but I really don't like it. I am ordering up now!

akgrrrl

Oh is is staining? i wouldn't want it not to come off my cheeks?
You will learn whats right for you. It is a stain, only a tiny bit necessary, been used hundreds of years, will come off with oils usually, doesnt sit on the skin like powders

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Cocoa powder also makes a nice bronzer.

gaze

milk of magnesia as a deodorant worked way better than i expected. completely got rid of any odor, and I'm a guy. What do you use for shampoo ?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
milk of magnesia as a deodorant worked way better than i expected. completely got rid of any odor, and I'm a guy. What do you use for shampoo ?
Let me tell you a trick with that Milk Of Magnesia, put it in a container and leave it open for week and it evaporates into a cream, much less messy to apply. Oh and only use the orginal minty one, the cherry one has sugar in it and will get moldy.

Attachments

• 20210513_172242.jpg
    20210513_172242.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 54
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I haven't got a shampoo recommendation yet :/

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• 20210513_172647.jpg
    20210513_172647.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 58

Jennifer

Some that I can think of off the top of my head:
  • Soapberry as a shampoo and body cleanser—I buy it made up and also make my own by brewing Indian soapberry (reetha), acacia (shikakai) and Indian gooseberry (amla) together with herbs like horsetail and nettle, and add some floral oils
  • Apple cider vinegar as a hair clarifier
  • Hibiscus as a moisturizing rinse for hair and a natural lip and cheek stain
  • Floral waxes for moisturizing hair ends and as a natural perfume
  • Henna as a natural hair dye
  • Macerated oils as an all over moisturizer and natural perfume
  • Witch hazel and hydrosols as a facial toner, deodorant and natural perfume
  • Raw honey for clearing blemishes and as a wound dressing
  • Coffee grounds as a skin exfoliant
  • White kaolin clay, baking soda, coconut oil, clove and peppermint oil as a natural tooth paste
  • Charcoal and turmeric for whitening teeth

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals