Healthier Grooming & Beauty Hacks

Jennifer

Oh yeah baking soda does that. I have used it on my hair as well as a light scrub and it lightened my skin and REALLY dried out my hair! For the hair i was told to put conditioner on my hair before shampooing it with the baking soda shampo mix, and unfortunately I skipped that first step. It works like a bleach! I would be scared to try it again.

Oh, wow! I don’t blame you. I have long hair (down to my thighs) and I discovered that the baking soda was causing a ton of breakage. I’m all for natural, but I will never go back to not using a shampoo. I ended up finding the shampoo I mentioned in my first post and I get the best of both worlds now because it’s literally made from just berries and herbs and has probiotics as the preservative.

Is it more abrasive than a kitchen sponge? A loofa doen't even compare to the kitchen sponge!

If you mean the kitchen sponge that has the scrubbing side then no, I don’t think the ayate cloth is as abrasive. It’s gentle enough for me to use on my entire body but if you tend to have rougher and/or calloused feet, I’m not sure it would be abrasive enough.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh, wow! I have long hair (down to my thighs) and I discovered that the baking soda was causing a ton of breakage. I’m all for natural, but I will never go back to not using a shampoo. I ended up finding the shampoo I mentioned in my first post and I get the best of both worlds now because it’s literally made from just berries and herbs and has probiotics as the preservative.

If you mean the kitchen sponge that has the scrubbing side then no, I don’t think the ayate cloth is as abrasive. It’s gentle enough for me to use on my entire body but if you tend to have rougher and/or calloused feet, I’m not sure it would be abrasive enough.
Yeah I only use the kitchen sponge on my feel in the shower with soap. I do use another of the same sponge for dry brushing on my legs and it works wonders! The amount of dry skin coming off into the air and stuck in the sponge is impressive. I like that it also gives my legs a healthy glow by getting the blood circulating. Also I did see that Vitacost.com, where I get a lot of my goods, has your shampoo. I will get a bottle and see what the family thinks, especially for my son who has wildly wavy hair and likes products that help weigh it down and smooth it out.

Jennifer

Yeah I only use the kitchen sponge on my feel in the shower with soap. I do use another of the same sponge for dry brushing on my legs and it works wonders! The amount of dry skin coming off into the air and stuck in the sponge is impressive. I like that it also gives my legs a healthy glow by getting the blood circulating. Also I did see that Vitacost.com, where I get a lot of my goods, has your shampoo. I will get a bottle and see what the family thinks, especially for my son who has wildly wavy hair and likes products that help weigh it down and smooth it out.

I’m not sure we’re talking about the same cleanser because I buy from vitacost too and I’ve never seen them carry it. I have wavy hair too and while the cleanser does leave it smooth, it doesn’t weigh it down so I’m not sure your son will like it. This is the one I use:

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I’m not sure we’re talking about the same cleanser because I buy from vitacost too and I’ve never seen them carry it. I have wavy hair too and while the cleanser does leave it smooth, it doesn’t weigh it down so I’m not sure your son will like it. This is the one I use:

Oh I was thinking of Chelsbells shampoo. Sorry for the mix up. Her's seems heavier which would be good for my son, but not me. Let me look up your berry one.

Jennifer

Oh I was thinking of Chelsbells shampoo. Sorry for the mix up. Her's seems heavier which would be good for my son, but not me. Let me look up your berry one. Yours is body wash....

No worries! The body wash is the same formula as the shampoo except for the addition of amla and I wanted the added benefits of the amla. I use it as a whole body cleanser.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
No worries! The body wash is the same formula as the shampoo except for the addition of amla and I wanted the added benefits of the amla. I use it as a whole body cleanser.
Ohhhh you use the body wash as a shampoo!

akgrrrl

Recipes for shampoo once you have liquid Sal Soda are innumerable. If I am having scalp probs I mix it with 3% hydrogenperoxide. If I want moisture, I tap into my skin potion ingredients and add hyalauronic acid and a TB of some oil, shake it and dump on my head. I have really thick massive hair these days, so most times its every other day sal soda diluted with hot water in my shaker bottle, rinse, then a bit of oil after its dry for shine or smell. Glycerine is awesome.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I did the honey facial this morning and LOVE IT!!!

akgrrrl

For face:

*IdeaLabs SolBan for astringent before next layers
*a Serum from 100Percent Pure. - amazing clean cosmetic and makeup company. I think @Jennifer told me about it.

*IdeaLabs Estroban as a serum with a drop of Progest-e and a few drops Pansterone occasionally.
*Beef tallow from Vintage Tradition for my main face cream

For skin:
*I make my own body and hand “cream” from cocoa butter, beef tallow, coconut oil and scent with orange essential oil - sometimes add lemon essential oil.

*Deodorant roll on from Tropical Traditions - is mostly coconut oil.

Coconut Shampoo/conditioner from 100Percent Pure

edit: eye cream from 100Percent Pure:

Woo hoo great post thanks.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah face looks better for a while, mild improvement in acne
I use to have an inversion table, until someone borrowed and didn't return it and it did make my face look much more rosy the rest of the day hanging there for 10 minutes or so. I forgot about that, I need to get my inversion table back!

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, is the honey mask meant for those with oily skin or is it normal for the skin to be really dry and tight afterward? Or does the type of honey used make a difference? I did the honey mask this morning but used raw Canadian prairie honey because I didn’t have any manuka on hand.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I use to have an inversion table, until someone borrowed and didn't return it and it did make my face look much more rosy the rest of the day hanging there for 10 minutes or so. I forgot about that, I need to get my inversion table back!
We sleep inclined so I might try lying in the opposite direction for a few minutes to mimic an inversion table. We are going to be radiant with all these ideas!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals