Health care policy, the good, the bad, the ugly...

OP
S

Swandattur

I don't understand. Are you saying you think if a child' parents can't get healthcare through where they work, the child shouldn't have access to health care? Not to mention the parents. If that's what you mean, that is immoral. If that isn't what you are saying please excuse my misinterpretation.

Of course, maybe the question of access to health care is moot, since health care isn't all that great anyway. Probably, it would be much better if everyone had access to good food and to the Internet to study Ray Peat and other sources of information about good health.

OP
S

Swandattur

Sorry, I just think health care shouldn't be based on what job somebody has, especially since most companies weasel out of it, anyway.

Asimov

Unfortunately for something to be had, it must be paid for. That's the hard reality of a finite universe. Someone must gather the resources to be consumed.

For you to have healthcare that you didn't pay for, someone else must pay for it. Someone must pay.

OP
S

Swandattur

My sister worked for Winn Dixie for many years and did a great job for them, too. S he missed many family occasions over the years for that job. The main reason she stayed working there all those years was for the insurance. Now the company they sold out to has cut her hours so she and her husband no longer have any insurance. He has been being treated for prostate cancer and without insurance he can't continue treatment. He has a small business of his own, which is why he has no insurance with his job. Asimov, are you aware of how ordinary people live at all? Are you so young you don't know or are you insulated in some other way? I just think depending on big companies who have no conscience (maybe because they are entities that are only concerned with the bottom line) to control health care, is idiotic. Why should they control who gets health care? What do they have to do with health? It seems to me a person's health care should be separate from who they work for. It's sort of like separation of church and state.

OP
S

Swandattur

Big companies would not be able to make all the money they do, without all the people who work for them. Perhaps, they don't pay their employees enough. Perhaps they are greedy. Perhaps there should regulations to keep their greed in check.

Maybe there is no making this world a better place for everyone to live in. There is just too much greed, and too much authoritarianism to validate it.

Asimov

Swandattur said:
I just think depending on big companies who have no conscience (maybe because they are entities that are only concerned with the bottom line) to control health care, is idiotic..
Then be a grown up, pick up the phone, price your own health insurance, and pay for it with your own money. I've done this in the past, and so have millions of other Americans without complaint. Stop acting like a victim and your life will improve tremendously.

I get the feeling that you don't even know what you're upset about. You don't like businesses paying for health care, yet you think if they just weren't so greedy then they could pay for your health care and everything would be fine? You don't like authoritarians telling you how to live your life, but you want more regulations telling other people how to live theirs??? I understand you feel helpless in your life, but the solution is not for someone else to fix your problems. It's for YOU to fix your problems.

OP
S

Swandattur

I don't really know why I got into this with you. I don't even know who you are or if you're for real or just trying to push my buttons. I think insurance is too expensive for many people to pay for on an individual basis. Maybe if people belonged to some sort of unions they could get better rates for a large group. I don't have a problem with my own insurance, but I can see other people do. I just think there must be a better way to handle the situation. I feel silly for getting into this with you. I feel like I'm on face book participating in one of those virtual reality sort of feuds people seem to have. Actually, I think I have a better use for my time. Heck, watching "Shawn the Sheep" is better. Way better!

OP
S

Swandattur

Asimov, I believe you are just trying to push my buttons. I don't feel like this is real. I have too much stress in my life already. So, I'm not going to deal with you anymore.

OP
S

Swandattur

I already feel like my life force is bleeding away without this kind of stuff. Maybe I'd best conserve what I have left and quit participating in forums. Maybe I'm just not cut out for it.

4peatssake

Swandattur said:
I already feel like my life force is bleeding away without this kind of stuff. Maybe I'd best conserve what I have left and quit participating in forums. Maybe I'm just not cut out for it.
Just pick your battles and focus on positive conversations Swandattur!
You can determine pretty quickly who you wish to talk to and who you don't.

For the most part (I would say well over 98 per cent of), the people on this forum are extremely helpful individuals who have gathered together to learn about and discuss the work of Ray Peat, and also share their experiences of putting his research into action.

Political discussions are often volatile and sometimes attract argumentative folks, so choosing subjects wisely also helps.

Rather than seeing this experience as a negative, perhaps you could celebrate the positives. Look how quickly you removed yourself from the discussion, recognizing that it was not positive nor helpful to you - or to anyone else for that matter. I wouldn't waste another moment of my time thinking about this!

Developing strategies to recover your energy and strength from such encounters can be very helpful. We cannot avoid stressors but we can rise above difficult experiences and develop ways to adapt and cope with our reality.

Sometimes just watching a funny movie or taking a long hot healing bath can quickly restore us.

I do understand what you are saying about internet forums. I have never found them to be helpful nor worthy of my time - until I stumbled across this one. The atmosphere and spirit of helpfulness here is refreshing. Yes, there are times when things get difficult but together we can weather those storms and keep the focus on discussing Ray Peat.

Our voices count no matter where we are on this adventure called life. Please don't allow one unpleasant encounter to spoil your entire experience here!

OP
S

Swandattur

Hey, thank you for the encouragement! I should have known to steer clear of anything remotely political. I know some people just love an argument maybe just for the argument's sake. Maybe people should have identifiers, or maybe avatars that express their personal tolerance, or for that matter pleasure, in things like arguing, which might vary from day to day somewhat.
I also worry about saying something that might actually hurt someone's feelings. I never would want to do that.
This reminds me of the time my son's cat, that was staying with us for a little while, got outside and went to visit the dogs in their pen. Even though the dogs were perfectly friendly indoors with the cat, it was a different story in their pen. They got into a big fight with the cat. Luckily my Mom and her miniature dachshund heard the commotion. By the time they got out there, the cat had given up and was down, but as soon as my mom and her dog came on the scene the cat jumped to her feet and was ready to go again. Well, I am not ready to fight again, but I am ready to dust myself off and try the forum again. I'll just stay out of the dog pen! :P

OP
S

Swandattur

In some ways I think the Ray Peat forum is a good way to learn more about socializing if you are inexperienced or rusty.

4peatssake

Swandattur said:
In some ways I think the Ray Peat forum is a good way to learn more about socializing if you are inexperienced or rusty.
Come to chat! :lol:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
4peatssake said:
Swandattur said:
Come to chat! :lol:

:rolling I was thinking the same thing.

OP
S

Swandattur

There are lots of interesting and nice people here. I like connecting with people, but sometimes I feel a little awkward, and it's probably best if I don't start something I'll regret when the coffee's effects wears off. :roll:

4peatssake

Swandattur said:
There are lots of interesting and nice people here. I like connecting with people, but sometimes I feel a little awkward, and it's probably best if I don't start something I'll regret when the coffee's effects wears off. :roll:
No worries. I think everyone feels awkward at times. I remember the first time I talked openly about feeling awkward to a group of friends and every single one of them then related about how they felt awkward at times. I was surprised and then I discovered that everyone feels this way from time to time - unless their ego is overinflated. :lol:

Also, I think it's normal to feel awkward when you are living your life so differently from the vast majority of people on this planet. I think that's a good thing, (to not live like most people) but it does make it "awkward" at times.

Anyway, chat's been fun, although we've only had a few takers so far. :mrgreen:

HDD

I like the lounge. Especially when I've had my fries and coke. ;)

Sorry, not being flippant about the topic, I just like to joke. Sometimes too much.

OP
S

Swandattur

Humor is almost always helpful.:) After all I've noticed after funerals at the gatherings afterwards, people will joke in an uplifting sort of way. It's like, as 4peatsake said, watching a funny movie to regain equilibrium. Anyway, anytime there is a funny side, it's good to see it! :D

4peatssake

Jokes, humor and having fun are the spice of life. We'd be pretty sad and dull without 'em.
Laughter itself is potent medicine.
Funny enough, that sentence was the first thing I posted in the new chat! Hint hint wink wink. ;)
And fries, coke and hagen dazs, - they are all food groups are they not? :lol:
Uh oh, I think I'm going to get in trouble with the administrator or a mod for being off topic and derailing this thread. :shock:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals