Your Vitamin K2 Experience

OP
J

j.

A bit off topic: This is a thread of experiences of people taking K2 from a ME/CFS forum. It's very interesting and they posted lots of studies and experiences. I don't know whether the stories are true.

Link

An interesting/funny comment from another forum, regarding whether MK-4 or MK-7 is better (these are forms of K2)

MK-7 is stored in the liver while MK-4 is stored in the salivary glands, pancreas, brain... everywhere we need it really. MK-4 is the human form. You can tell the differece between the two by how smooth your teeth feel on MK-4. MK-7 doesn't do this.

Link

HDD

j. said:
Haagendazendiane said:
Thanks, j. I take 2-4 325 mg a day of aspirin. I will make sure not to take too much.

How do you figure out the amount of aspirin to take?

Aspirin protects against iron toxicity, clot formation, and reduces lipid peroxidation while blocking prostaglandin formation. Aspirin and other antiinflammatory drugs, taken for arthritis, have been clearly associated with a reduced incidence of Alzheimer's disease. Aspirin reduces the formation of prostaglandins from arachidonic acid.

When I first stumbled upon Peat, I was dealing with numbness in both legs. This was a year ago. My dx from 1988 is MS. I read somewhere that extreme circumstances would require larger amounts of aspirin. Someone (cannot recall where I read this) was taking 5000 mg for cancer. I considered my legs being numb extreme, so I worked my way up to 9 in a day. I did cause blood vessels to break in one eye so I quit taking aspirin at that point.

Now, I normally take 2, occasionally 4, and sometimes none. Depends on how busy I am. My mother had breast cancer, father had Alzheimer's, and Peat attributes MS to several things..blood clotting, heme, estrogen, and hypothyroidism.

My dosage is mainly experimental and preventive measures.

I also sit in the sun 20- 45 minutes when able.

OP
J

j.

Haagendazendiane said:
I read somewhere that extreme circumstances would require larger amounts of aspirin. Someone (cannot recall where I read this) was taking 5000 mg for cancer. I considered my legs being numb extreme, so I worked my way up to 9 in a day.

Did you take it without vitamin K? Do you think that's why your blood vessel broke?

HDD

Yes, but it was Whole Foods brand that I picked up not really knowing what to buy. I am not sure but my whole eye was blood red. I also thought it could have been from adding in vitamin e that day. It gave me a little scare so I went to walk in clinic. Dr. didn't know what caused it but prescribed antibiotic to rub on eyelid and told me there were new drugs for MS (since I told her I had been using aspirin for my symptoms). It slowly cleared up.

Maybe unrelated to aspirin?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Vitamin E is also a blood thinner.

OP
J

j.

I've been reading other forums, and I want to mention that a lot of people get bad side effects from exceeding even 90mcg of MK7, but taking 500 times that amount of MK4 (45 mg) doesn't seem to create problems. In Japan, they treat osteoporosis with up to 45 mg of MK4.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If I took 45 mgs of MK4 I think I would pee out asteroids. :eek

But yeh I am aware of the 45 mg deal. I just cannot imagine doing it.

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
But yeh I am aware of the 45 mg deal. I just cannot imagine doing it.

Oh yeah, my point wasn't to say MK4 is safe, but to alert of the apparent dangers of MK7.

BingDing

If you google "Weston a price k2" the first hit is an interesting read. Price found some remarkable results from animals eating fast growing plants, apparently mk4 k2. I bring this up because grass is just starting to grow in the mid-Atlantic US. My favorite dairy farmer is back at the local farmers market and said the cows are about a week away from getting back on grass. Also, all k2 supplements are synthetic or from natto, a fermented soybean product. So for the next 2-3 months, grass fed dairy is the way to go, IMO. In this regard, I'll say raw milk is not important.

I've been using Super K supps, never felt any particular response. Likely because I've had 1/2 gallon of grass fed milk per day all along. I'll cut out the Super Ks till late June.

frustrated

j. said:
Many people take vitamin K2 to offset the blood-thinning effects of aspirin. However, K2 seems to have some benefits in its own right. It reverses calcification of the arteries in rats. Danny Roddy has a recent blog post that suggests that calcification of the arteries could be a cause of baldness.

Do you take vitamin K2? Have you noticed any effect?

My experience is very good, but I definitely had problems with calcium metabolism. I take 5 drops of Thorne's mk-4 daily.

OP
J

j.

frustrated said:
My experience is very good, but I definitely had problems with calcium metabolism. I take 5 drops of Thorne's mk-4 daily.

Good to know. How long did you take it before it showed the good effects?

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
I think maybe its from too high a dose at one time.

I think I passed a stone because of it. I still have the stone and the dr said it looked like mostly oxalates. I was also doing bag breathing really hard at the time, so I wasn't sure it was the bag breathing or the K2 or maybe both.

Was that dose 1 mg?

Does your nose bleed when you take just the K2 without doing bad breathing?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
Was that dose 1 mg?

No, it was probably 15 mgs a day. I was definitely over doing it.

My nose will bleed if I take too much aspirin with out K2. I do not think bag breathing has anything to do with it.

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
j. said:
Was that dose 1 mg?

Too bad that happened to you, but thanks for the info, maybe this will save me from having to pass a stone!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I try to make all the mistakes so you dont have to! :rolling

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
I try to make all the mistakes so you dont have to! :rolling

Haha, no. I made a raw garlic mistake. I didn't tell my experience but did warn people to not use it as an antibiotic.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:shock:

Thanks for the warning!

chris

Taken 1-15mg MK4 periodically, whenever I remember. Never noticed anything from it. Don't take aspirin.

jyb

Charlie said:
j. said:
Was that dose 1 mg?

My nose will bleed if I take too much aspirin with out K2. I do not think bag breathing has anything to do with it.

I've done K2 (Thorne MK-4) at various doses in last months without any side effects. On and off, sometimes with big doses (> 15 mCgs a day).

You'd also get such high amount from some cheeses like Gouda but mainly MK-7.

Mittir

Ray Peat mentioned in one radio interview that Liver is a rich source of vitamin K and nutritional data does not include the amount of vitamin K in liver for some strange reason. He did not mention the amount of K in liver. Does anyone know what is the vitamin K amount in liver and what is the source of this info. Charlie, can you ask RP about it?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals