Your Vitamin K2 Experience

OP
J

j.

Mittir said:
Ray Peat mentioned in one radio interview that Liver is a rich source of vitamin K and nutritional data does not include the amount of vitamin K in liver for some strange reason. He did not mention the amount of K in liver. Does anyone know what is the vitamin K amount in liver and what is the source of this info. Charlie, can you ask RP about it?

I also read that methods for measuring K2 are new and there is not much info, but many believe organs have the most.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mittir said:
Ray Peat mentioned in one radio interview that Liver is a rich source of vitamin K and nutritional data does not include the amount of vitamin K in liver for some strange reason. He did not mention the amount of K in liver. Does anyone know what is the vitamin K amount in liver and what is the source of this info. Charlie, can you ask RP about it?

Mittir, if you like I will give you his contact info. I only email him every couple of months when I get a couple of questions saved up. Recently I did that so it will be a while till I email him again.

Mittir

j, That is possibly the reason. But RP was sure about the high content of K2 in liver.

Charlie, I have his contact info. If i get a response from him i will post it here.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ok, thank you, Mittir!

Mittir

I just got a reply from Dr Peat. I asked him about the amount of vitamin K in liver. Here is his reply

"I made extracts myself, and there was a lot of it, but I didn't measure it exactly, just a few milligrams per kilo."-- Ray Peat

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Very cool. Thank you, Mittir!

rjfnyu

I believe that I have an intolerance to Vitamin K2 with the exception of K2 in a dosage of a few micrograms. I can eat smaller amounts of grass-fed butter and milk, but regular-sized portions of liver that is pasture-raised from a chicken, cow, calf or bison cause significant pain in my liver area and make sleep for the next day or two impossible. Vitamin K2 supplements cause an even more pronounced effect (I have never taken a supplement without MK-4). Conventionally-raised livers do not seem to cause the same effect. Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be reasonable to gradually increase the dosage by a couple of micrograms every few days until I am taking a dose of hundreds of micrograms or even milligrams?

I do not know where to find K2 in dosages smaller than 100 mcg so I was planning on diluting a certain amount of K2 in melted coconut oil. Is anyone aware of a better way of diluting a fat soluble vitamin or of an essential factor that would assist in lessening K2 intolerance?

jyb

You seem to be the second on this thread to claim a link between K2 and poor sleep (ttramone on first page too).

kiran

rjfnyu said:
I believe that I have an intolerance to Vitamin K2 with the exception of K2 in a dosage of a few micrograms. I can eat smaller amounts of grass-fed butter and milk, but regular-sized portions of liver that is pasture-raised from a chicken, cow, calf or bison cause significant pain in my liver area and make sleep for the next day or two impossible. Vitamin K2 supplements cause an even more pronounced effect (I have never taken a supplement without MK-4).

I wonder if your serum calcium levels are too low. Have you gotten a basic blood test recently by any chance? It would be part of the metabolic panel.

Mk-4 can sweep calcium from blood, and reducing levels further might be a problem for you, if PTH can't bring calcium levels back up as needed.

rjfnyu

Actually, my last blood test was 9.9 mg/dl, which put it in the middle of the reference range. I believe that the reference range is 8.7-10.2 for what it is worth. My last few tests were similar, but a year before my calcium was slightly above the reference range.

jyb

j. said:
Many people take vitamin K2 to offset the blood-thinning effects of aspirin. However, K2 seems to have some benefits in its own right. It reverses calcification of the arteries in rats. Danny Roddy has a recent blog post that suggests that calcification of the arteries could be a cause of baldness.

Do you take vitamin K2? Have you noticed any effect?

I'm more or less starting to be convinced that it is stimulating hair and hairs growth. A few months back, I experienced noticeable hair and hairs growth in new areas, which seemed both weird and good, and I attributed it to taking progesterone for a limited time - but after taking K2 on and off (high dose, > 15 mcgs per day), I now think K2 is the cause. It generally seems to have a positive effect on skin appearance.

OP
J

j.

jyb said:
I'm more or less starting to be convinced that it is stimulating hair and hairs growth. A few months back, I experienced noticeable hair and hairs growth in new areas, which seemed both weird and good, and I attributed it to taking progesterone for a limited time - but after taking K2 on and off (high dose, > 15 mcgs per day), I now think K2 is the cause. It generally seems to have a positive effect on skin appearance.

What brand are you using?

jyb

j. said:
jyb said:

Thorne K2. I try not to take the drops in one dose, as excess MCT can result in diarrhea.

OP
J

j.

jyb said:
j. said:
jyb said:

Thorne K2. I try not to take the drops in one dose, as excess MCT can result in diarrhea.

I think 1 drop is 1 milligram, not one microgram. So maybe you're taking 15 milligrams?

jyb

j. said:
jyb said:
j. said:
jyb said:

I think 1 drop is 1 milligram, not one microgram. So maybe you're taking 15 milligrams?

That is correct, my mistake. I might have made that mistake in another post.

15mgs, that seems considerably more than what you'd get from eating liver.

jyb

I seem to also find K2 affecting sleep unfortunately. I'd be curious to know why, as I has positive effects otherwise like on the skin.

OP
J

j.

jyb said:
I seem to also find K2 affecting sleep unfortunately. I'd be curious to know why, as I has positive effects otherwise like on the skin.

What time of the day do you take it? Does it make a difference?

jyb

j. said:
What time of the day do you take it? Does it make a difference?

Doesn't seem so. Maybe what could make a difference is a lower dose and not every day, don't know.

YuraCZ

what is the best way to use Thorne vit K2? A few drops every 3-4 hours directly into my mouth or it must be administered with food (fats)?

DKayJoe

I started taking Life Extensions K-Complex not long ago, 2 a day and it seems to have almost completely eliminated the acne on my face and quite a bit of it on my back. I also take 1000iu of E daily although I still might be going a little cowboy on the dosage but I don't seem to have any ill effects from it. Every other day I've started skipping Vitamin E and on those days I only take 1 K pill. Everything else I was doing was fairly constant for about a month but within 2 days of taking K my acne died down drastically. It seems to do wonders for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals