Would It Be Irresponsible To Try NDT?

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
My body generally feels cool to the touch and so I felt I may have been hypothyroid and impulsively bought NDT some days ago. However I measured my temps yesterday and today and the results were something like this, averaged

Armpit- 99.12 deg morning, 100.02 deg afternoon
Oral- 98.8 deg morning, 100.51 deg afternoon
Rectal- 101.01 deg morning, 101.10 deg afternoon

Would trying thyroid "to see what happens" be inadvisable if my cort and adrenaline are relatively low? I'm not sure what to make of these results as I've been carnivore until very recently and still have low basal stress hormones but have a few of the symptoms associated with hypothyroid

I'm going to get another blood panel soon but I guess the other component of this question is does anyone have any idea what I should be looking into as a cause lol

Last edited:

Elize

NDT may make you feel worse as the T3 may be too much. The only way you will know is to try the NDT our bodies are different and all I know that it didn't work out for me. The T3 to T4 ratio was too high for me.

orewashin

NDT may make you feel worse as the T3 may be too much. The only way you will know is to try the NDT our bodies are different and all I know that it didn't work out for me. The T3 to T4 ratio was too high for me.
What negative effects did you feel from the T3?

It's interesting that people respond well to T4. For me, even a small amount of natural (NDT) or artificial (levothyroxine) T4 zombifies me, and it's not dependent on the ratio. It feels just like how I remember 5-HTP felt. This is also with T4 levels below normal, and T3 levels being normal on a blood test.

My opinion is that it doesn't hurt to try a small amount, but document the results and try to get blood testing before and after.

Elize

T3 Developed low cortisol, very bad back aches, muscle loss, frequent urination, very dry skin, red and dry eyes. It also triggered high histamine and histamine liberating side effects with me

You may be very different and may have a wonderful experience on it.

Spartan300

Your temperatures are well above average & would not indicate that you have a need for thyroid medication?

OP
snacks

snacks

Your temperatures are well above average & would not indicate that you have a need for thyroid medication?

Yeah I'm mostly just curious as to what would happen which I'm aware is a terrible reason to do anything. As far as I can tell it's as safe as supplementing hormones can be provided I start slow and am quick to back off if anything happens

OP
snacks

snacks

What negative effects did you feel from the T3?

It's interesting that people respond well to T4. For me, even a small amount of natural (NDT) or artificial (levothyroxine) T4 zombifies me, and it's not dependent on the ratio. It feels just like how I remember 5-HTP felt. This is also with T4 levels below normal, and T3 levels being normal on a blood test.

My opinion is that it doesn't hurt to try a small amount, but document the results and try to get blood testing before and after.

Was 5htp hard on you? I remember it being relatively good for me at one point but I had very bad anxiety and treated anything that modulated that like a miracle cure.

Jessie

I mean, it could be a waste of money. If you take thyroid when you don't need it, you'll just start producing extra heat. It may also increase your nutrient demand, and could actually elicit stress if such demands aren't met.

Your temps suggest you're fine, maybe even slightly hyper by conventional measurements. The important thing is are you warm and relaxed? Do you sleep well? Got good energy?

orewashin

Was 5htp hard on you? I remember it being relatively good for me at one point but I had very bad anxiety and treated anything that modulated that like a miracle cure.
I didn’t take it for long because I came to the conclusion that dopamine is helpful, and serotonin unhelpful. This was before I found RP.

I didn’t get any excitotoxic symptoms from 5-HTP, nor did it provide relaxation. It simply dulled everything and made everything gray and cloudy.

OP
snacks

snacks

I mean, it could be a waste of money. If you take thyroid when you don't need it, you'll just start producing extra heat. It may also increase your nutrient demand, and could actually elicit stress if such demands aren't met.

Your temps suggest you're fine, maybe even slightly hyper by conventional measurements. The important thing is are you warm and relaxed? Do you sleep well? Got good energy?

I don't sleep well but this is more to playing games with people in different time zones and moving time zones myself than anythning I think; this is probably the ultimate cause of many symptoms I thought were hypothyroid. My timing is off too. I sleep at day many times rather than centered around solar midnight but being back in college is fixing this. My energy comes and goes but probably as a result of the above and most of my other "hypo" symptoms are attributable to sleep as well I'd imagine. The next thing I'd like to look into is my deep sleep %

Frankdee20

I didn’t take it for long because I came to the conclusion that dopamine is helpful, and serotonin unhelpful. This was before I found RP.

I didn’t get any excitotoxic symptoms from 5-HTP, nor did it provide relaxation. It simply dulled everything and made everything gray and cloudy.

5HTP is an intermediate of tryptophan and requires a decarboxylase inhibitor ... I think regular tryptophan is safer because it can always convert to Niacin

OP
snacks

snacks

My body generally feels cool to the touch and so I felt I may have been hypothyroid and impulsively bought NDT some days ago. However I measured my temps yesterday and today and the results were something like this, averaged

Armpit- 99.12 deg morning, 100.02 deg afternoon
Oral- 98.8 deg morning, 100.51 deg afternoon
Rectal- 101.01 deg morning, 101.10 deg afternoon

Would trying thyroid "to see what happens" be inadvisable if my cort and adrenaline are relatively low? I'm not sure what to make of these results as I've been carnivore until very recently and still have low basal stress hormones but have a few of the symptoms associated with hypothyroid

I'm going to get another blood panel soon but I guess the other component of this question is does anyone have any idea what I should be looking into as a cause lol

So it turns out that I was mildly retarded and didn't account for circulating caffeine. After a day w no caffeine my temp was the same as above, after 2 days day my temperatures dropped by 1 deg and after another day by another 1.5, so it's a go to try thyroid. This may be an early-use placebo but I noticed after 1 of the small first week doses I didn't really desire any caffeine (I usually consume 1.5 g or so throughout the day) and didn't spend the second half of the day thinking about going to sleep. My sleep also seemed better but it's difficult to tell because I woke up because of dry throat once-- not mouthbreathing, just need to make sure dust isn't coming through the air vents

OP
snacks

snacks

I think NDT might be the missing piece for me. I noticed very strong and immediate results so I just jumped to 2 scoops (I use the LGS brand, I don't remember what the mg quantity of this is) which I've been doing for the last 3 days.

One result I didn't expect is a lot of muscular tightness seems to be going away, like I can move my head one way and then the other and feel lots of ***t in my back releasing. I think this would go even faster if I wasn't constnatly at a desk for college

boris

@snacks Would it be irresponsible? Simple answer: no. Humans always used to eat the thyroid gland and they still do so in the villages and the countryside. Even in our modern society it used to get mixed into sausages and ground meat, only fairly recently did they stop doing that.

Ray Peat: Until this century, everyone ate the thyroid in various small animals, and we still get some in milk and shellfish and a few exotic foods.

Like Peat said, you can even keep a dead body at 98.6 degrees (something along those lines). So you always have to take both temperature and pulse into account.

Ray Peat, PhD on Thyroid, Temperature, Pulse, and TSH – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
In Eugene during a hot and humid summer, I saw several obviously hypothyroid people whose temperature seemed perfectly normal, euthyroid by Barnes’ standards. But I noticed that their pulse rates were, in several cases, very low. It takes very little metabolic energy to keep the body at 98.6 degrees when the air temperature is in the nineties. In cooler weather, I began asking people whether they used electric blankets, and ignored their temperature measurements if they did.

The combination of pulse rate and temperature is much better than either one alone.

Elize

I think NDT might be the missing piece for me. I noticed very strong and immediate results so I just jumped to 2 scoops (I use the LGS brand, I don't remember what the mg quantity of this is) which I've been doing for the last 3 days.

What is the LGS you use?

Thanks

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals