Constantly Hungry, Waking Up Every 2 Hours. Help!

CaliforniaKat

Hi all,

The past couple weeks I am constantly hungry to the point where I eat till full/still feel hungry. I am waking every 2 hours at night hot and sweaty (to the point of changing clothes). I rarely sleep past about 5 am, but am getting about 6 hrs of broken sleep.

I eat 3 to 1 carb:pro ratio. I eat at leat 2500 cals a day, the past couple weeks it is over 3200 a day. I eat/drink every couple hours and track on cronometer. I eat relatively low fat. 100-130 grams of protein. Milk, eggs, liver once a week, beef, shrimp, sometimes white fish, fruit, OJ, honey, maple syrup, sometimes sugar, homemade jam/marmalade, collagen/gelatin/bone broth, potatoes or rice or corn tortillas occasionally.

I am hypoT and estrogen dominant. I am not using a lot of supps, as I am already struggling to get enough to eat to feel satiated and sleep through the night. My basal temps and daily temps are going down, and I struggle still with adrenaline responses to food (hands/nose getting cold) so I am still trying to figure out what/how to eat to keep that from happening. Basal is in the 97.o range, I can get to about 98.5 during the day. Pulse is mid-60's on waking.

I am already overweight and insulin resistant. I have tried progesterone but am not currently using it. It made me want to puke the first night I took it. I used it for about a week, but stopped over a week ago. I should be starting a period today, but have no signs that it is pending. Periods are horrifically heavy.

The supps I take are:
1.5 grains NDT (currently Acella brand) broken up into multiple doses
Magnoil-5-10 drops
Aspirin
coffee in mid-morning, and sometimes caffiene (6 oz Coke or coffee) in the early afternoon
benadryl or unisom to help sleep (but it doesn't)

I have Energin and Estroban, but haven't really tried either on a regular basis because hunger already sucks and causes stress. I feel like I eat/drink ALL the time. I try to get pulse/temps but it is hard when I work and have to eat/drink so often.

Probably high cortisol and prolactin. Low ferritin (15), and lowish (21%) iron saturation.

How to I manage this incessent hunger? I am starting to gain weight and kinda freaking out.

Sup buddy,
could be many things.
Appears you not taking vitamin D. That may help with sleep, and perhaps insulin resistance.

-might have sleep apnea.... try a sleep study or cpap machine.
-Could up the thyroid dose
-take in more salt, and make sure u get enough potassium and other minerals. Check Dr. James DiNicolantonio videos on youtube on salt.
-gaba maybe help sleep or melatonin

I would try the progesterone again. A different brand. A different dose. Pregnenolone might be useful. A small progesterone dose unlocks estrogen and gives horrible symptoms. This is well known. Take a large dose. The estrogen will come out and then this will resolve.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Have you checked your blood sugar?

theLaw

Here's what I would do if I were in your situation:

1. Cyproheptadine - it will help with adrenaline and serotonin - also, make sure there isn't some food irritating your digestive tract (gelatin/collagen/starch)

2. Salt (1 tbsp per day min)

3. Ice cream before bed (this is what helped me sleep more than any other food)

4. Re-feed - if you're trying to play catch-up, this might be your problem. Milkshakes + Milkshakes +Milkshakes. I couldn't feel normal until I did a re-feed for a few days, then it was much easier to implement Peat's ideas.

5. If large dose aspirin (1-2G) relieves any symptoms, then if might just be free-fatty-acids. Might be worth a test (just make sure you have enough Vitamin K).

Cheers!

Runenight201

On mobile don’t feel like dealing with quotes but

“I eat relatively low-fat”

Stop doing that. Eat some fat. Make some buttery, salty mashed potatoes and dig in.

Jackrabbit

1. Cyproheptadine - it will help with adrenaline and serotonin - also, make sure there isn't some food irritating your digestive tract (gelatin/collagen/starch)

4. Re-feed - if you're trying to play catch-up, this might be your problem. Milkshakes + Milkshakes +Milkshakes. I couldn't feel normal until I did a re-feed for a few days, then it was much easier to implement Peat's ideas.

5. If large dose aspirin (1-2G) relieves any symptoms, then if might just be free-fatty-acids. Might be worth a test (just make sure you have enough Vitamin K).

Cheers!
Cypro is some crazy ****! The first night I took 2 mg I had a really weird night but the naps I took the next day felt so restorative. When I had to do stuff I was groggy and feeling overwhelmed but I feel like I really needed the sleep. When I cut back to half dose (1 mg) I felt less sleepy the next day, actually I’d say I felt wired but in a good way. Do you think the extra sleep you need when you take cypro at first is part of a healing process?

sunraiser

Eating liver every week without vitamin D is a guaranteed path to insulin resistance in my experience.

Even when getting lots of sun I don't think liver each week is ideal.

If you've gone overboard on the vitamin A you'll need to find a copper source other than liver, though. Squid and lobster are great sources! They're more enjoyable with something fatty though.

I think copper is to vitamin A (and vice versa) what magnesium is to vitamin D.

Copper mobilises vit A from the liver. So you definitely need a good copper intake, to craving, while taking vit D or getting sun.

I use cashews with dark choc and blueberries in Greek yogurt, but obviously pufa avoiders might prefer seafood copper.

theLaw

Cypro is some crazy ****! The first night I took 2 mg I had a really weird night but the naps I took the next day felt so restorative. When I had to do stuff I was groggy and feeling overwhelmed but I feel like I really needed the sleep. When I cut back to half dose (1 mg) I felt less sleepy the next day, actually I’d say I felt wired but in a good way. Do you think the extra sleep you need when you take cypro at first is part of a healing process?

I think that any time you shut down or subdue a stress hormone, there will be side effects. The stress hormones were not created in a vacuum, so using tools like Cyproheptadine can be useful to experience the underlying problem. More restorative sleep sounds healthy.

it's crazy to not address the fundamental problem which is almost always going to involve high estrogen and other stress hormones.

Before I would take a drug, I'd address that.

People who try progesterone and report terrible effects are in fact not reading the literature. It has been established that estrogen "hides out" in cells and that progesterone can flush it out into the bloodstream where it is very toxic.

The solution is often a few large doses of progesterone, which then flush out the estrogen and allow normal doses with good effects.

300mg or 400mg of progesterone may be what is needed.

Thyroid is another step but I'd address the estrogen problem first no matter what. I personally have no issue with taking T3 and T4 for awhile, but it's the estrogen that is the huge issue for the OP in my opinion.

OP
C

CaliforniaKat

I would try the progesterone again. A different brand. A different dose. Pregnenolone might be useful. A small progesterone dose unlocks estrogen and gives horrible symptoms. This is well known. Take a large dose. The estrogen will come out and then this will resolve.
I have been hypo for decades. Unmedicated for a while, which brought the cortisol/adrenaline crap in. I currently take 1.5 grains of NDT across the day

I have Progest E, using/have used 18 drops across the day. It made me nauseous when I took it as the "test" dose (spread across a shorter time to feel when you get that sleepy, relaxed feeling). It initially made me sleepy, but after a few days seemed to make sleep worse. I don't even know how much 300-400 mg would be.

I'm totally at a loss. I haven't tried Cypro but have it ordered @theLaw . Benadryl/Unisom don't seem to make much difference. I can get to sleep even without them, but wake every 2 hours until about 2, then every hour until about 5 am even with sugared/salted OJ or milk when I wake. I changed PJs 3x last night. Ick!

Lower sugar/carbs (not eating starch atm) and I get adrenaline from meals and from thyroid unless it is a tiny dose (which then makes it hard to get in enough thyroid across the day).

Fewer drugs would obviously be the better option, but lowering the stress hormones (now preferably, even it it makes me a zombie for a few days) will allow thyroid to actually work.

yes, the progesterone flushed out estrogen from your tissues. Take a teaspoon full. That is about all you have to do. If you take small amounts it just perpetuates the problem.

OP
C

CaliforniaKat

Eating liver every week without vitamin D is a guaranteed path to insulin resistance in my experience.

Even when getting lots of sun I don't think liver each week is ideal.

If you've gone overboard on the vitamin A you'll need to find a copper source other than liver, though. Squid and lobster are great sources! They're more enjoyable with something fatty though.

I think copper is to vitamin A (and vice versa) what magnesium is to vitamin D.

Copper mobilises vit A from the liver. So you definitely need a good copper intake, to craving, while taking vit D or getting sun.

I use cashews with dark choc and blueberries in Greek yogurt, but obviously pufa avoiders might prefer seafood copper.

I do take D, forgot to mention it. I take 5000 iu several times a week. I haven't tested in a while though, so maybe it is time. It is only 4 oz of liver each week. Cronometer shows that my copper intake is often a little low.

OP
C

CaliforniaKat

Have you checked your blood sugar?

Not in the past couple months. It was fine when tested in the summer, which was most recent.

Upping carbs has coincided with sucky sleep, but I am constantly cold otherwise (which is also a stress response)

OP
C

CaliforniaKat

Cheers!

You have replied to several of my semi-frantic posts, so thank you very much for that. How much K per aspirin is recommended? I only have Estroban and a low dose K in capsules. I have read that the Thorne K is recommended (and expensive!)

There have been a few nights where melted ice cream is what put me back to sleep when nothing elso would. I do measure out salt daily 2-3 teaspoons, and salt literally everything (which raises metabolism, and nutrient demand...vicious circle?)

I'm still figuring out when/how often/what to eat. I still get adrenaline symptoms from big meals, too much protein, not enough carbs, etc. It is exhausting trying to track all of it. lol

OP
C

CaliforniaKat

On mobile don’t feel like dealing with quotes but

“I eat relatively low-fat”

Stop doing that. Eat some fat. Make some buttery, salty mashed potatoes and dig in.

When I say that, I am still getting at least 50-70 grams per day. Still too low?

theLaw

You have replied to several of my semi-frantic posts, so thank you very much for that. How much K per aspirin is recommended? I only have Estroban and a low dose K in capsules. I have read that the Thorne K is recommended (and expensive!)

There have been a few nights where melted ice cream is what put me back to sleep when nothing elso would. I do measure out salt daily 2-3 teaspoons, and salt literally everything (which raises metabolism, and nutrient demand...vicious circle?)

I'm still figuring out when/how often/what to eat. I still get adrenaline symptoms from big meals, too much protein, not enough carbs, etc. It is exhausting trying to track all of it. lol

I think Ray suggested 1mg K per 350mg Aspirin. Personally, I use Idealabs.

I also had to literally add 8Tbsp of sugar to OJ when eating 2 large eggs in the morning, especially with caffeine. Never would have guessed that I needed that much, but Peat says that up to 12 ounces (27 Tbsp) per day should be safe. It seems crazy, but it works.

8 Tbsp of sugar is nearly 100G, which should be able to reduce adrenaline significantly in a single dose. I usually just add a tiny amount of water, then microwave it, and add it to other liquids (coffee/juice/milk). It warms the liquid, and melts the sugar in one go.

D

danishispsychic

Sounds like classic blood sugar issues- the more you fast the less hungry you get - I would do intermittent fasting a go , tight eating window - then play with The Master Cleanse with mollasses, ( instead of Maple Syrup ) - short dry fasts, short salt water fasts etc

Runenight201

When I say that, I am still getting at least 50-70 grams per day. Still too low?

My advice isn’t peat approved, so take it with a grain of peat salt, but from reading your posts I see you avoid starch and fat, so I would recommend eating the fattiest, saltiest, combo you can think of (hint hint mashed potatoes =P), and see if that doesn’t sky rocket your temperature and give you a good nights rest.

I know when my limbs go cold, I need salty meat, fat, and starch. Warms me up every time.

I think it’s fairly common for people here to never be satiated on a starch free diet. I’m sure they exist, but clearly you’re struggling with it, so I would ditch it. Starch without fat and salt is for sure problematic, but they call mashed potatoes and fried chicken comfort food for a reason...

*disclaimer* you may or may not put on weight eating a high fat, high starch, high sucrose diet, but if it gets you to have a solid nights rest, what’s the worse of the two evils? Once your sleeping well and have energy, you can start fine tuning parameters to stabilize weight and maintain vibrant health.

Jackrabbit

Hi all,

The past couple weeks I am constantly hungry to the point where I eat till full/still feel hungry. I am waking every 2 hours at night hot and sweaty (to the point of changing clothes). I rarely sleep past about 5 am, but am getting about 6 hrs of broken sleep.

I eat 3 to 1 carb:pro ratio. I eat at leat 2500 cals a day, the past couple weeks it is over 3200 a day. I eat/drink every couple hours and track on cronometer. I eat relatively low fat. 100-130 grams of protein. Milk, eggs, liver once a week, beef, shrimp, sometimes white fish, fruit, OJ, honey, maple syrup, sometimes sugar, homemade jam/marmalade, collagen/gelatin/bone broth, potatoes or rice or corn tortillas occasionally.

I am hypoT and estrogen dominant. I am not using a lot of supps, as I am already struggling to get enough to eat to feel satiated and sleep through the night. My basal temps and daily temps are going down, and I struggle still with adrenaline responses to food (hands/nose getting cold) so I am still trying to figure out what/how to eat to keep that from happening. Basal is in the 97.o range, I can get to about 98.5 during the day. Pulse is mid-60's on waking.

I am already overweight and insulin resistant. I have tried progesterone but am not currently using it. It made me want to puke the first night I took it. I used it for about a week, but stopped over a week ago. I should be starting a period today, but have no signs that it is pending. Periods are horrifically heavy.

The supps I take are:
1.5 grains NDT (currently Acella brand) broken up into multiple doses
Magnoil-5-10 drops
Aspirin
coffee in mid-morning, and sometimes caffiene (6 oz Coke or coffee) in the early afternoon
benadryl or unisom to help sleep (but it doesn't)

I have Energin and Estroban, but haven't really tried either on a regular basis because hunger already sucks and causes stress. I feel like I eat/drink ALL the time. I try to get pulse/temps but it is hard when I work and have to eat/drink so often.

Probably high cortisol and prolactin. Low ferritin (15), and lowish (21%) iron saturation.

How to I manage this incessent hunger? I am starting to gain weight and kinda freaking out.
Have you tried taking less thyroid? If you are eating that much and still needing to get up so many times per night to eat then I would think you’re running your metabolism too high, plus you might be making reverse t3. You really might have your thyroid working better than you think based on your diet. I recently had to have my t4 dose lowered because my tsh was practically 0.