Is this hyperthyroidism?

mrchibbs

Only in the context of high testosterone in men and progesterone in women. Plus ray is wrong about estradiol anyway. Plus it’s thyroid we are talking about.

I don't think saying things like "Ray is wrong about estradiol" is useful. If he's wrong, in what way is he "wrong"? That's a more constructive way to frame the discussion.

I've seen "Ray is wrong about PUFAs" many times, usually it's not backed up by much of an understanding of what Ray talks about. Ray's understanding of estrogen in its various forms is often caricaturized.

I think punctual elevations of E2 / P4 are absolutely healthy and normal, but chronic elevation of E2 has a terrible track record. Just search for the "estradiol" tag on this forum.

Anyway, it's true, the discussion is about thyroid.

OP
T

Tansia

Only in the context of high testosterone in men and progesterone in women. Plus ray is wrong about estradiol anyway. Plus it’s thyroid we are talking about.
Thanks @MitchMitchell. I just couldn't help myself to ask you if you agree on estradiol with Neal Rouzier. But as you said this was off the topic and it's better to open a new thread to disuses this subject.

OP
T

Tansia

I don't think saying things like "Ray is wrong about estradiol" is useful. If he's wrong, in what way is he "wrong"? That's a more constructive way to frame the discussion.

I've seen "Ray is wrong about PUFAs" many times, usually it's not backed up by much of an understanding of what Ray talks about. Ray's understanding of estrogen in its various forms is often caricaturized.

I think punctual elevations of E2 / P4 are absolutely healthy and normal, but chronic elevation of E2 has a terrible track record. Just search for the "estradiol" tag on this forum.

Yeah, I really know what you're talking about.

OP
T

Tansia

Waking temperature below 36.5C is hypothyroidism. Waking temperature should be about 36.5 rising to 37C after a meal. Those were Broda Barnes' findings, Peat added that you should diagnose based on both temperature and pulse rate (should be in the 80s), because warm weather could influence your body temperature.

PUFA directly inhibits thyroid through various mechanisms (directly in the gland, blood, cells, by activating aromatase, by damaging the liver, etc) it would be best to limit high PUFA foods.

About "free hormone" tests:

Ray Peat:
"The idea of measuring the "free hormone" is that it supposedly represents the biologically active hormone, but in fact it is easier to measure the biological effects than it is to measure this hypothetical entity. Who cares how many angels might be dancing on the head of a pin, if the pin is effective in keeping your shirt closed?"

"Because the actions of T3 can be inhibited by many factors, including polyunsaturated fatty acids, reverse T3, and excess thyroxine, the absolute level of T3 can't be used by itself for diagnosis. “Free T3” or “free T4” is a laboratory concept, and the biological activity of T3 doesn't necessarily correspond to its “freedom” in the test."

"the idea of free and bound hormones, it's purely a laboratory construction and in the case of thyroid it usually has some relation to symptoms, but it's a little bit analogous to reading tea leaves, because actually, when thyroid hormone is stuck to the albumin protein - which is the main protein in the blood - it has no trouble at all getting into cells, taking the thyroid into the mitochondrion and nucleus and so on. So the free thyroid test does correspond for a variety of indirect reasons to the real available activity of the thyroid, but it's really just a laboratory construction that should be minimized."

Good summary of how to supplement thyroid:
Danny Roddy | Demystifying Thyroid Supplementation
Thanks. This really answers my question why we see such a discordance between one's symptoms and blood results.

mostlylurking

I've recently been dealing with high t3 on the blood test along with hypothyroid symptoms. My temperature would not go above 98 degrees all day and I was stricken with intense inflammation. I tried a larger dose of thiamine (B1, 1/8 teaspoon = 275 mg) and within 45 minutes my temperature went up to 99 degrees and my inflammation disappeared. Evidently I had developed a thiamine deficiency which was blocking my oxidative metabolism.

I have been on the same dose of natural desiccated thyroid for 6 years, with good temperatures and pulse. A few months ago, I took three different antibiotics over several weeks trying to clear up a UTI. One of them, Bactrim, is known to disrupt thiamine function.

I've been focused on improving my gut health and have increased my dosage of thiamine to almost a gram a day. Hopefully, I will recover and won't have to keep up this high a dose for long.

I just wanted to point out the importance of supplementing a little thiamine. I think Dr. Peat has suggested 90 mg a day as being helpful and not dangerous.

It's important to take magnesium with thiamine. Thiamine improves tolerance for magnesium.

Here is a good video about thiamine:

HUF

@Tansia I would not play around with thyroid yet. Focus on your diet for a year and test temp and pulse daily. Things will improve. Then if they don't improve enough look to start working up ndt or combo therapy t4/t3. All the best with your health mate. Cheers

OP
T

Tansia

@Tansia I would not play around with thyroid yet. Focus on your diet for a year and test temp and pulse daily. Things will improve. Then if they don't improve enough look to start working up ndt or combo therapy t4/t3. All the best with your health mate. Cheers
Thanks @HUF

OP
T

Tansia

I've recently been dealing with high t3 on the blood test along with hypothyroid symptoms. My temperature would not go above 98 degrees all day and I was stricken with intense inflammation. I tried a larger dose of thiamine (B1, 1/8 teaspoon = 275 mg) and within 45 minutes my temperature went up to 99 degrees and my inflammation disappeared. Evidently I had developed a thiamine deficiency which was blocking my oxidative metabolism.

I have been on the same dose of natural desiccated a for 6 years, with good temperatures and pulse. A few months ago, I took three different antibiotics over several weeks trying to clear up a UTI. One of them, Bactrim, is known to disrupt thiamine function.

I've been focused on improving my gut health and have increased my dosage of thiamine to almost a gram a day. Hopefully, I will recover and won't have to keep up this high a dose for long.

I just wanted to point out the importance of supplementing a little thiamine. I think Dr. Peat has suggested 90 mg a day as being helpful and not dangerous.

It's important to take magnesium with thiamine. Thiamine improves tolerance for magnesium.

Here is a good video about thiamine:

This is a really interesting input @mostlylurking . I didn't know that antibiotics can actually do that.

mostlylurking

This is a really interesting input @mostlylurking . I didn't know that antibiotics can actually do that.
Well yes! Yes they can!! They can damage your gut and make absorption of nutrients impossible. And then there's the especially nasty antibiotics like Bactrim, a known goitrogen, that contains Trimethoprim: Interaction of 2,4-Diaminopyrimidine–Containing Drugs Including Fedratinib and Trimethoprim with Thiamine Transporters. In fact, Bactrim is so good at killing off your oxidative metabolism the medical industry is now using it for CHEMOTHERAPY!! The amazing pharmaceutical industry has confabulized multiple (like over 250) especially exotic antibiotics that no one grasps the ghastly side effects of when they prescribe them. Then the standard response when the patient responds badly is to deny the connection. The medical industrial complex is broken.

OP
T

Tansia

Well yes! Yes they can!! They can damage your gut and make absorption of nutrients impossible. And then there's the especially nasty antibiotics like Bactrim, a known goitrogen, that contains Trimethoprim: Interaction of 2,4-Diaminopyrimidine–Containing Drugs Including Fedratinib and Trimethoprim with Thiamine Transporters. In fact, Bactrim is so good at killing off your oxidative metabolism the medical industry is now using it for CHEMOTHERAPY!! The amazing pharmaceutical industry has confabulized multiple (like over 250) especially exotic antibiotics that no one grasps the ghastly side effects of when they prescribe them. Then the standard response when the patient responds badly is to deny the connection. The medical industrial complex is broken.
That's terrifying @mostlylurking . I looked up that Bactrim and it can be prescribed even for infants. I personally took lot's of Augumentin - 3-4 courses every year for almost 20 years. That's why I'm ****88.

mostlylurking

That's terrifying @mostlylurking . I looked up that Bactrim and it can be prescribed even for infants. I personally took lot's of Augumentin - 3-4 courses every year for almost 20 years. That's why I'm ****88.
The doctor prescribed Augmentin for the third try to resolve my UTI end of August. It worked!!! I am so very thankful for that. I'd take Augmentin again if I needed to but I'll not take Bactrim again. If I have to take another antibiotic again I'll research it on line before I swallow it. I think that the older antibiotics are much safer than the newer ones. At least they have track records.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals