Aspirin caused massive temp raise! Fever?

Rylanrocks

Been peating for about 6 months with moderate results. Hypothyroid since childhood, always freezing with a morning basal of about 96. I recently added cynomel and it has helped to raise my pulse and temps a bit, nothing dramatic and I seem to be able to tolerate a 100mcg dosage like nothing. So I decided to add a large dose of aspirin, 2.5 grams at bedtime and this is what happened...

My heart rate shot up and basal went to 99.8 with in a half hour. Oddly though I was shivering and felt alsmost flu like body aches that persisted for 6 hours. Nearly 24 hours later my basal is still at 98-99 and my oral has been 99-102 throughout the day. I feel like rubbish! Anyone else had an experience like this or advice?

So far I have read a study that says aspirin causes candida die off and that just by raising body temp it can cause fungal overgrowths to die off as well. Not sure how else a large aspirin dose could cause flu like symptoms.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Before discovering Peat I thought I might be allergic to aspirin for the exact reasons you describe! I have a totally different experience with it now but I think slowly building up to the higher dosage is what helped me. :D

Mittir

I think you need to talk to a physician or a licensed alternative health practitioner
before you use 100 mcg of T3 on your own. Then you are doing 2.5 grams of
Aspirin. Aspirin is not for everyone and there are ways to take Aspirin.
Please talk to a doctor.

J

j.

Mittir said:
Please talk to a doctor.

Mittir, I'm guessing the city/country you live in might have good doctors. I don't think that applies to everyone.

OP
R

Rylanrocks

I live in NY where my ultra expensive "licensed" practitioner almost killed me. For financial and personal reasons I am doing this on my own. Many people selt treat cynomel in even larger doses. I have taken cynomel for months and it is helpful, but aspirin was by far the most dramatic experience I have had. I didn't just jump into a large dose either, had been taking it for anout 2 weeks, a couple a day

Mittir

At the bottom of the page there is a disclaimer

Disclaimer :
Content and information placed in the Ray Peat Forum does not necessarily reflect the views of Ray Peat Forum. While it is permissible to discuss medically-oriented topics, nothing posted here should in any way be interpreted as authoritative medical advice. While the information provided by knowledgeable members is certainly available for the education of forum members, Ray Peat Forum makes no claim of accuracy and does not endorse suggestions or recommendations set forth here.

jyb

2.5g is massive, especially given you only did aspirin for 2 weeks. I assume you supplemented heavily with K2?

OP
R

Rylanrocks

Yeah I have k2, maybe I got ahead of myself. Some people that follow Danny Roddy and over at the peatarian forums seems to do even larger doses. I have done 45 day waters fasts, colonics, 100 grams of chlorella a day.. Aspirin didn't scare me haha but i have a new found respect for it

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Rylanrocks said:
I live in NY where my ultra expensive "licensed" practitioner almost killed me. For financial and personal reasons I am doing this on my own. Many people selt treat cynomel in even larger doses. I have taken cynomel for months and it is helpful, but aspirin was by far the most dramatic experience I have had. I didn't just jump into a large dose either, had been taking it for anout 2 weeks, a couple a day
Maybe the aspirin inhibited FFA's enough to allow the thyroid to function better? Just a thought. Since aspirin is antiestrogenic that could help the thyroid as well or it may all be the same mechanism. I had to adjust my thyroid down recently due to a sudden change after starting a supplement designed to be antiestrogenic so I think sometimes things just change and we have to be flexible with our approach. I didn't expect it but I feel it was a positive healing sign.

aguilaroja

Aspirin can increase mitochondrial activity as well.

The change made was pretty swift. It's possible that with rapid increase in metabolism that the fuel (glucose) supply could not keep up. It's possible that the rapid change in core temperature caused swings in thermo-regulation and related problems. It's possible that the aspirin was from tablet form and some other ingredient caused sensitivity due to the quantity. Blossom mentioned the role of relieving of estrogen excess. There are lots of other possibilities too.

Though you have been going step-wise, the 100 mcg of T3 and 2.5 gm of aspirin are large measures, even if some people are doing large ones.

If things are otherwise barely budging after 6 months, there may be simpler and gentler maneuvers that may bring improvement. If things have been depleted for a long time, there are many individual specifics to factor in. It also could be there is a major medical factor that just has not been found yet.

If the need for relief is pressing, as Mittir mentions, in your region there may be practitioners who are helpful and affordable. It may take some searching. Lots of readers here have experienced the frustration with prolonged suffering, and the desire for speed balanced with the concern for smoothness. The forum may provide a basis for adjunct inquiry, education and some clues, depending on the situation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23228932
Aspirin may promote mitochondrial biogenesis via the production of hydrogen peroxide and the induction of Sirtuin1/PGC-1α genes.

"More importantly, ASA treatment resulted in an increase in mitochondria as seen by tracking dyes."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24028488
Aspirin-induced apoptosis of yeast cells is associated with mitochondrial superoxide radical accumulation and NAD(P)H oxidation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11779920
Stroke. 2002 Jan;33(1):261-7.
Inhibition of glutamate release via recovery of ATP levels accounts for a neuroprotective effect of aspirin in rat cortical neurons exposed to oxygen-glucose deprivation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7646555
The alterations in the energy linked properties induced in rat liver mitochondria by acetylsalicylate are prevented by cyclosporin A or Mg2+.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8389635
Effect of aspirin on mitochondrial lipids in experimental myocardial infarction in rats.

Mittir

It is odd no has mentioned that RP does not recommend large dose of T3 without
T4. 100 mcg of T3 is almost equal to physiological replacement dose.
Body makes 4-5 mcg T3 per hour. 24x4 = 96 mcg.
RP mentioned in interviews that his heart stopped every few seconds
when a missed a T3 dose while he was experimenting with large dose of
T3 without T4.( IIRC he was only using 25 mcg twice daily.He does not do that any more)
He also talked about risk of large dose of T3 only supplement,
as one would not be able to take supplement during sleep.
One can easily consult with RP over phone or email without being
present in Oregon/Mexico. There are many doctors ( regular and alternative)
who consults people over phone and email.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Mittir said:
It is odd no has mentioned that RP does not recommend large dose of T3 without
T4. 100 mcg of T3 is almost equal to physiological replacement dose.
Body makes 4-5 mcg T3 per hour. 24x4 = 96 mcg.
RP mentioned in interviews that his heart stopped every few seconds
when a missed a T3 dose while he was experimenting with large dose of
T3 without T4.( IIRC he was only using 25 mcg twice daily.He does not do that any more)
He also talked about risk of large dose of T3 only supplement,
as one would not be able to take supplement during sleep.
One can easily consult with RP over phone or email without being
present in Oregon/Mexico. There are many doctors ( regular and alternative)
who consults people over phone and email.
I don't think he is currently doing consultations. That is why I consulted with someone recommended on his links page. He probably still answers questions for people who were already in contact with him before he took his contact information off line though. I think that is why it is so valuable for people to share what they know from him in whatever form. I'm sure he had many demands on his time so I can't blame him a bit!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Blossom said:
Rylanrocks said:
Maybe the aspirin inhibited FFA's enough to allow the thyroid to function better? Just a thought. Since aspirin is antiestrogenic that could help the thyroid as well or it may all be the same mechanism. I had to adjust my thyroid down recently due to a sudden change after starting a supplement designed to be antiestrogenic so I think sometimes things just change and we have to be flexible with our approach. I didn't expect it but I feel it was a positive healing sign.
I can't blame you one bit about your feeling toward doctors. I've had the same experience myself as both a "patient" and a "healthcare professional". Obviously there may be times when one needs the services of a doctor but being cautious, imo is definitely a smart move. My plan is to avoid 'medicine' both alternative and conventional unless something unfortunate happens like a car accident or a gunshot wound. The longer I avoid doctors the healthier I become.

aquaman

I think Mittir's advice is right - if you have an extreme reaction like this, taking advice from random people on the internet about what to do is probably not the best option!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think there is a huge difference between dialogue, discussion and sharing experiences and getting advice off the internet. Many people are fed up with being disrespected and harmed by medicine. A 102 fever is one thing. I can honestly say that I can't stand the thought of subjecting myself to one more arrogant physician. At best they do nothing and usually it ends up you've actually been harmed. I don't think it is intentional it's just the system. Even the 'good ones' have little true understanding of cellular metabolism which is no fault of their own but I still don't need to be their guinea pig. The arrogance comes in because they don't want to be questioned or have people catch on that medicine is mostly smoke and mirrors. If someone doesn't want to go to a doctor who am I to judge? I respect that choice. If someone wants to dialogue about health experiences I think this is a great forum for that, no medical advice implied.

Mittir

Blossom said:
I don't think he is currently doing consultations. That is why I consulted with someone recommended on his links page. He probably still answers questions for people who were already in contact with him before he took his contact information off line though.

RP did not took off his contact page with P.O. box address.
I know at least one forum member who contacted RP by sending
mail to P.O. box and got a consultation. IIRC she also send him money.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Mittir said:
Blossom said:
I don't think he is currently doing consultations. That is why I consulted with someone recommended on his links page. He probably still answers questions for people who were already in contact with him before he took his contact information off line though.

RP did not took off his contact page with P.O. box address.
I know at least one forum member who contacted RP by sending
mail to P.O. box and got a consultation. IIRC she also send him money.
Thanks Mittir, that is great to know!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals