Anxiety and NDT Dosage

TAG145

Forum Supporter
Wondering if anyone has been Hypothyroid but unable to increase dosage of meds due to negative side effects?
It is almost like I have one one symptom of hyperthyroid and the rest hypo. ugh.

I have been on NDT for ~20 years. I had settled in to 2 grains (120mg) for many years but never felt optimal and steady increase in weight, always cold, low temps etc. Dr's have been wanting me to go up to 180 mg and in the last year, 2 dr. suggested this, but I was always having weird "anxiety" type symptoms. Driving high speeds on freeway, I would feel unstable, strange and have to pull off. I felt jittery but not energized--more internal instability and brain/eye disconnect. Very hard to explain. Heart rate always stable ~65bpm. My current dr. took me down to 90 mg and those symptoms went away but all the typical Hypo symptoms are worse and my body is more inflamed than ever before.

I have been steadily gaining weight without any ability to lose it. I keep active, have always been a runner up until I torn my hip and now my meniscus in the last year, which, to me is either the weight gain or inflammation from low thyroid. I walk my 3 dogs every day, job is always busy, much moving around and walking, play volleyball as well.

Labs from last week show I am Low FT4, Low FT3, Low TSH.
I understand TSH is not useful, but I do use it as a guide and results from this year have been very strange.
Past two years it was 0.01, 0.03.
3/21 (after reducing 90 mg) it was 2.2 mcu/ml and then last week is 0.4 without changing any dose.

I am taking a number of supportive supplements recommended from my dr. and some from this site.
Zinc, Selenium, Potassium, Glutathione, Vit E, Thyromax (multi from dr.), Taurine, Pepcid, Aspirin, liver support supps (bitters, artichoke, burdock etc.)

My original dr. retired and I am struggling to find one that knows what they are doing!

Any incite would be much appreciated! You all are super smart on this site!

gallahad

Hello Tag,

although it is hard to tell over the internet, but let me ask you how do you take your thyroid medication? -> empty stomach, with food etc..
Due to stress / other factors there could be a conversion to rt3 the inactive form of t3.
Maybe you want to try mono t3 for a while to see how this makes you feel.
To circumvent possible absorption problems you could try to put your thyroid meds under your tongue. It could also that you're lacking in one of the many nutrients since you're very active -simply put - do you eat enough? How is your Carbs/Prot/Fat profile ...
Stepping on the gas pedal via medication seems useless if you cannot provide sufficient fuel.
All the best
G

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
Hello Tag,

although it is hard to tell over the internet, but let me ask you how do you take your thyroid medication? -> empty stomach, with food etc..
Due to stress / other factors there could be a conversion to rt3 the inactive form of t3.
Maybe you want to try mono t3 for a while to see how this makes you feel.
To circumvent possible absorption problems you could try to put your thyroid meds under your tongue. It could also that you're lacking in one of the many nutrients since you're very active -simply put - do you eat enough? How is your Carbs/Prot/Fat profile ...
Stepping on the gas pedal via medication seems useless if you cannot provide sufficient fuel.
All the best
G
It is funny you mention T3 as I have just been reading a lot about that. I take NDT in morning on empty stomach with water and don’t eat for about 2 hrs except some OJ. I am pretty sure I have damaged my metabolism fasting, low carb, calorie restriction over the years all because I kept gaining weight. I’ve recently added some carbs back somewhat and eat clean, whole foods without being super careful. My head was spinning with all the different things Ive been reading of what not to eat and recently dr told me no dairy or eggs and those have always been a staple in my life. Then some say watch certain veggies, pork is bad, etc…now just clean, in moderation, no excessive fasting, trying to give myself adequate calories and really cut PUFA, eat grass fed, organic. I know I used to burn myself out spinning or running to the point where the next day I was still wiped out. Definitely put too much physical stress plus a lot of mental stress in the last year. Ive been trying to heal that and being injured is only allowing me walking at the moment so maybe that is good for me. Thank you for your reply.